PDA

View Full Version : first bristol dirt race

zyoung25
06-27-2015, 09:31 AM
Scanning through youtube I found there is finally a video of the first bristol dirt race.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u4NKQUBSQuM

loose_is_fast
06-27-2015, 03:25 PM
Bloomer had weight issues then too! LOL

Mitch4545
06-27-2015, 03:39 PM
Shows how ignorant people really are. Bloomer was 3rd quick qualifier (I think). They were all told which entrance to go in after qualifying. He went in to the infield by turn 4. Bad move. He was DQed No weight problem. You were not there Einstein.

Bloomer had weight issues then too! LOL

Mitch4545
06-27-2015, 03:56 PM
First of all , thank you Zyoung25 for finding the video. I have ask several times over the years on this web site, where the video was. No one could ever produce it. If you are a Bloomer fan, you will see one the great driving jobs of all time. Haven't watched it yet ,but if memory serves me correct, he was DQed. He started last in his heat, past enough cars to qualify for the C main. In the C Main he past enough cars to qualify for the B main. In the B main he past enough cars to qualify for the A main. In the A main he past about half the field, went in and changed a tire, came back out and I think he finished about 7th. Now I'll watch the video and see how my memory is. I apologize if I have Oldtimers disease.

zyoung25
06-27-2015, 04:25 PM
I'm not a bloomer fan at all, but I do respect him lol. He tells on there why he had been fighting being light at the scales on there, it was a fuel problem. They DQ'D him at bristol for making one too many laps during qualifications. It just shows the feature though.

I've been looking for years myself for some sort of video, everyone always said there was no tape, I wasn't sure. This morning I just typed in UDTRA and it came up in the related video's, shows it was just published June 4th, 2015.

I just couldn't get over the speeds they were going. That track would have to be smooth as glass with today's cars, or there wouldn't be anything of one by the end.

Mitch4545
06-27-2015, 05:05 PM
I looked for the video over the years myself. Glad you found it. By the way, Bloomer didn't do an extra lap. After qualifying they were supposed to go in to the infield at the end of the backstretch before turn 3. Bloomer drove around turn 3 and 4 and went in at the beginning of the frontstrech.
Made his night a whole lot tougher. I wish they would have shown the heats and C and B mains. Over the years I have found a few of the heats on you tube. Thanks again

drano
06-27-2015, 05:09 PM
Man those cars looked good and what about those chassis brands good old GRT Warrior those were some good old days.

zyoung25
06-27-2015, 05:15 PM
Man those cars looked good and what about those chassis brands good old GRT Warrior those were some good old days.

No problem Mitch.

This was my thought when I watched the race, those cars were sweet looking. I had watched the Dixie shootout from 2002 as well. That race was a big one to win at that time. I can't believe it just pays to 10k now days.

smith19
06-27-2015, 05:56 PM
was there. had a great time...

loose_is_fast
06-27-2015, 11:00 PM
Easy Einstein, I was just talking about his interview not that race. Someone needs some thicker skin. I wasn't being ignorant just pokin fun don't get your panties bunched up

cjp0354
06-28-2015, 12:29 AM
If they had that race again, would there be more or less fans? Obviously less cars (my guess is 125 for $50,000 to win). Around the same amount of fans maybe a couple thousand less.

zyoung25
06-28-2015, 12:43 AM
was there. had a great time...

I envy you Mr.Smith. I remember me and my dad wanted to go, BUT the following weekend was the dream. Dad could only take off for that weekend, so we missed out on both races they had there. I was just a young pup then, around 13 or 14.

If they had that race again, would there be more or less fans? Obviously less cars (my guess is 125 for $50,000 to win). Around the same amount of fans maybe a couple thousand less.

I think there would be more fans. Look at how the crowds have grown at most of the bigger races now days compared to back then. It would be something to see no doubt, I just don't see it ever happening again though.

LMPunk
06-28-2015, 09:32 AM
I can't speak to how many people were there for the first dirt races at Bristol, but I do know that any time there's a big race in this area the stands are overflowing with fans. I'd be shocked if there wasn't more this time around than then if it ever did happen again.

Kwd1253
06-28-2015, 11:09 AM
them right rear popping off lol.

Kwd1253
06-28-2015, 11:12 AM
yeah punk I think they would easily pack in 60k+ crowd today. it would be sweet if they did bristol at least every 5 years 100 lapper. speeds would be crazier today.

chupp n bloomer fan
06-28-2015, 12:23 PM
I went the second year with the wife to all three nights. Think one of the nights is when Ole Freddy beat or got beat by Bloomer right at the end. Wasn't bad racing, and they changed the wheel rules. Was only steel rims allowed, not the lightweight ones.

Also year Mike Gault destroyed a car. And Randle got booted by Schlieper for driving like a tool. Awesome facilities, we had awesome Davey Allison section seats with backs. Two seats was one, not that it mattered.

Would most definitely go back.

chupp n bloomer fan
06-28-2015, 12:25 PM
It has been said the cost to do it, and damaging the pavement track is why they haven't done it again.

chupp n bloomer fan
06-28-2015, 12:26 PM
yeah punk I think they would easily pack in 60k+ crowd today. it would be sweet if they did bristol at least every 5 years 100 lapper. speeds would be crazier today.Yes, I most definitely think it would attract more fans. Three nights, good purses, good prices, bam.

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-28-2015, 12:43 PM
I was there as well. One of the last trips I took with my dad.

dirt crow
06-28-2015, 02:02 PM
I was there too. Balzano had em covered till he broke a wheel like many did.

zyoung25
06-28-2015, 03:49 PM
They didn't run sprints the first year did they? I haven't been able to find anything on sprints from the first year.

SuperEight
06-28-2015, 05:27 PM
yeah punk I think they would easily pack in 60k+ crowd today. it would be sweet if they did bristol at least every 5 years 100 lapper. speeds would be crazier today.

I seriously doubt they'd be much if any faster. Late models haven't gained much in speed the last 10 years and most track records have been stagnant for 15 years with some notable exceptions under perfect conditions. I bet several cars would flip. The newer cars turn better than they did back then, but that's about it. And the wheels weren't breaking due to speed, but the combination of a very rough surface and high G-forces. The following year there weren't any wheel issues. In Georgia we have Golden Isles Speedway in Brunswick near Savannah, nowadays its a tacky 3/8, but in the 90's it was an oil based 5/8 track and on a regular basis the Supers were radar clocked topping 170+MPH down the long back stretch, without any wheel breaking issues, now that was a fast track. The old Cherokee configuration had Supers clocked at 150+MPH...

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-28-2015, 05:55 PM
I seriously doubt they'd be much if any faster. Late models haven't gained much in speed the last 10 years and most track records have been stagnant for 15 years with some notable exceptions under perfect conditions. I bet several cars would flip. The newer cars turn better than they did back then, but that's about it. And the wheels weren't breaking due to speed, but the combination of a very rough surface and high G-forces. The following year there weren't any wheel issues. In Georgia we have Golden Isles Speedway in Brunswick near Savannah, nowadays its a tacky 3/8, but in the 90's it was an oil based 5/8 track and on a regular basis the Supers were radar clocked topping 170+MPH down the long back stretch, without any wheel breaking issues, now that was a fast track. The old Cherokee configuration had Supers clocked at 150+MPH...
Today's cars are much better on a slick surface. They are not much faster on a fast one.

A daytime qualifying session at Eldora would no longer have quality drivers timing in at over 20 seconds.

SuperEight
06-28-2015, 06:04 PM
Today's cars are much better on a slick surface. They are not much faster on a fast one.

A daytime qualifying session at Eldora would no longer have quality drivers timing in at over 20 seconds.

That's True.

25drtrkr
06-28-2015, 06:58 PM

The good ole days!...not really, the racing was primarily one groove for there and Waycross. I was there the night Madden was clocked at 170, and he ended up setting a new track record of 144 mph plus!

dirt crow
06-28-2015, 07:21 PM
They didn't run sprints the first year did they? I haven't been able to find anything on sprints from the first year.

Sprints ran the weekend before or the weekend after I believe.

jb3601
06-28-2015, 07:55 PM
I was there also. I think Balzano had em covered until that wheel broke. I know this is a LM board but a lil trivia. Does anyone remember who won the Mod race that night and who finished 2nd?

TMaCiLLiNi39
06-28-2015, 08:03 PM
First of all , thank you Zyoung25 for finding the video. I have ask several times over the years on this web site, where the video was. No one could ever produce it. If you are a Bloomer fan, you will see one the great driving jobs of all time. Haven't watched it yet ,but if memory serves me correct, he was DQed. He started last in his heat, past enough cars to qualify for the C main. In the C Main he past enough cars to qualify for the B main. In the B main he past enough cars to qualify for the A main. In the A main he past about half the field, went in and changed a tire, came back out and I think he finished about 7th. Now I'll watch the video and see how my memory is. I apologize if I have Oldtimers disease.

You would be incorrect... Scott took a provisional to make the race...

Mitch4545
06-30-2015, 11:31 AM
Was everything else correct. I did my post from memory.

You would be incorrect... Scott took a provisional to make the race...

06-30-2015, 12:16 PM
They are all over youtube... late models 2001 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boDtsUP8msY late models 2000 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4NKQUBSQuM sprints 2001 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe2EAgni5gw sprints 2000 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00OmJPBld-I&list=PL20F199BBEFA50EC3

smith19
06-30-2015, 01:15 PM
mods...I think wayne brooks and Kerry Norris were in the top 5. a late model and sprintcar guys.

zyoung25
06-30-2015, 04:34 PM
mods...I think wayne brooks and Kerry Norris were in the top 5. a late model and sprintcar guys.

Any video of the mods? I'd like to see that.

jb3601
06-30-2015, 08:26 PM
Wayne Brooks did win it and Jimmy Owens finished 2nd. I have not found a video of the mods anywhere. Sure would like though.