PDA

View Full Version : D!ck Taylor retired....

racenut
07-01-2015, 10:05 AM
that is all....Enjoy yourself D!ck....lots of fun times....

kidrock
07-01-2015, 06:32 PM
I would have to say without a doubt one of the best to ever strap into a race car. One of the nicest most helpful guy I know. He has helped my brother a few times that's for sure. Funny story that happened oh I'm guessing 6 or 7 years ago. My brother and my cousin had stripped my cousins car down to repaint the frame. They put it back together and my brother went out in it and drove a few races and hit about everything but, the ambulance. And for the life of us all we couldn't figure out what the heck was wrong. My brother would I just can't drive that thing so, my Dad said since he is good friends with (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) said lets call Taylor and see if he would take it out and see what he could find. So (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) shows up gets in the car and decides to go to the tail of the field and you know right before they take the green they usually get on it a little and (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) went into turn one and spun it out. Got back going but, the car was all over the track so, (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) decides to pull it in and he motions to my brother to come over with his finger and (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) said" Rick don't let anyone drive that car until you find out what's wrong with it. He said that's probably the second worst handling car I have ever been in. He said I don't know how you ever finished a race in that thing" so, we were looking at the car and Jeremy Billington stopped by my brothers and was checking out the car and realized the quick steer was on backwards. My family have known (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) for many years. The Taylor's are Good people that's for sure. Thanks for the memories (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)

ss12
07-01-2015, 07:51 PM
The 1st time I seen D!ck race was at Jacksonville driven a 59 plymouth# 72(Brian Lynn sr.). Man I guess that shows my age. When D!ck drove the 67 Plymouth Barracuda(#3 prepared by the Renfro's from Middletown,Il) it was the 1st race car to have power steering. D!ck thanks for all of the good racing memories at Jacksonville and Shaheen's. How about when D!ck would chew on his paper pit pass all night long. LOL Rick Skelton

klemmabyna
07-01-2015, 08:08 PM
these posts are what 4m should be about.

Dirtlatemodel
07-01-2015, 09:28 PM
I remember in 1980 I was 16 years old I would go to the races all the time and after the races I would go to (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) Taylor's spot in the pits and just hang out, didn't really know what to say just would talk to him and listen to what he had to say to everyone. Then one Friday night at Farmer City they had a Late Model special and it got rained out and they were going to make it up on Sunday afternoon. I went to the pits anyway and as soon as I walked up (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) said "hey kid you going to be here Sunday?"
I said "yep" he said "good get a pit pass I'm going to need your help"
Well I didn't want tell him I didn't know nothing about cars, but I figured I had to so I said " (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) I don't know anything about these cars." He said " you know what a tire us right? I said "yep" he said "you know what mud is right?" I said "yep". He said "then you can help, be here"

So I get there on Sunday and he says get in the car and start it up, so I did, he comes up to the car and says now go pack the track. I about Shiitt myself I was do excited!!!
Anyway (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) goes out and gets second in the feature, Rick Standridge won. After the race (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) says to me" you Coming to a Springfield tonight?" I said " yep". He throws me a (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) Taylor t shirt and said "good, I don't have time to wait for them to get the payout ready, I need you to go to the pit shack and get my pay and bring it to me in Springfield tonight!"
So I did, and he let me keep the shirt. I still have it!!! COOL GUY!!!

Mcklovin85..
07-02-2015, 12:20 AM
I seen d!ck race on occasion and always done well but he will always be remembered in my eyes pullin in the pits with the double stack open trailer... Here's to ya...🍺

Highside Hustler25
07-02-2015, 07:15 AM
One of my favorites growing up. As a Redbird fan, always pulled for that yellow Springfield Cardinal hot rod whenever he pulled into Peoria for a special.

Thanks for the memories Mr. Taylor:)

kidrock
07-02-2015, 08:28 AM
I remember in 1980 I was 16 years old I would go to the races all the time and after the races I would go to (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) Taylor's spot in the pits and just hang out, didn't really know what to say just would talk to him and listen to what he had to say to everyone. Then one Friday night at Farmer City they had a Late Model special and it got rained out and they were going to make it up on Sunday afternoon. I went to the pits anyway and as soon as I walked up (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) said "hey kid you going to be here Sunday?"
I said "yep" he said "good get a pit pass I'm going to need your help"
Well I didn't want tell him I didn't know nothing about cars, but I figured I had to so I said " (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) I don't know anything about these cars." He said " you know what a tire us right? I said "yep" he said "you know what mud is right?" I said "yep". He said "then you can help, be here"

So I get there on Sunday and he says get in the car and start it up, so I did, he comes up to the car and says now go pack the track. I about Shiitt myself I was do excited!!!
Anyway (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) goes out and gets second in the feature, Rick Standridge won. After the race (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) says to me" you Coming to a Springfield tonight?" I said " yep". He throws me a (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) Taylor t shirt and said "good, I don't have time to wait for them to get the payout ready, I need you to go to the pit shack and get my pay and bring it to me in Springfield tonight!"
So I did, and he let me keep the shirt. I still have it!!! COOL GUY!!!

That's a great story and sounds so much like the things Dik would do

One of my favorites growing up. As a Redbird fan, always pulled for that yellow Springfield Cardinal hot rod whenever he pulled into Peoria for a special.

Thanks for the memories Mr. Taylor:)

I have to agree about the car with the Redbirds sponsor. One of my favorites.

racenut
07-02-2015, 09:28 AM
Thanks for keeping this thread a nice one.....of course the 4m trolls must not have seen this yet.... :)
I also have stories to tell, but some of them cannot be told....lol

Baddboy1
07-02-2015, 09:34 AM
D!ck had the first stacker that I had ever seen. Never mind that it was an open trailer. He was always a class act.

1bbmft
07-03-2015, 09:25 AM
Went to Peoria with my Santa Fe LM one night in 83 and he kicked all our butts. I missed the show so I got to watch,he was so smooth and fast.

DLM06
07-03-2015, 09:55 AM
Pick a track in the Midwest - he's probably won a race there (including some asphalt tracks) and always had a hell of a good time doing it.