PDA

View Full Version : camber gain ?? totally confused!

jesel45
07-01-2015, 07:06 PM
i have a couple of questions about camber gain, i was watching the video from saturday night and it looks like my rf tire stays pretty well set where as when im looking at other cars on the track there rf appears to be laying way way in and there getting into the corner much better than i am,

details, 2010 pierce car, grey rf lower 17 5/8, 8.25" upper, std pierce spindle, ida shock, 350 lb spring, medium bank track.... car is bad fast if i can get to the top and something is up there, but if im on the bottom it totally stinks

i was just in the shop playing with different control arm lenghts, and it seems to get worse as i take it though the motions, what i tried
checked with whats on car now, -6* camber at ride height, @4" travel the gauge said -16.8
tried 7 3/4 with 1/2 spacer and it was -6* camber and 13.3* @4"
tried with 1/2 longer bj on top -6* camber and was 14.3
tried with 1/2 longer bj on top with original upper back on car and it was 16.2 @ 4" travel

gauge says im getting plenty of gain but video shows otherwise... whats wrong here lol

billetbirdcage
07-01-2015, 07:22 PM
i have a couple of questions about camber gain, i was watching the video from saturday night and it looks like my rf tire stays pretty well set where as when im looking at other cars on the track there rf appears to be laying way way in and there getting into the corner much better than i am,

details, 2010 pierce car, grey rf lower 17 5/8, 8.25" upper, std pierce spindle, ida shock, 350 lb spring, medium bank track.... car is bad fast if i can get to the top and something is up there, but if im on the bottom it totally stinks

i was just in the shop playing with different control arm lenghts, and it seems to get worse as i take it though the motions, what i tried
checked with whats on car now, -6* camber at ride height, @4" travel the gauge said -16.8
tried 7 3/4 with 1/2 spacer and it was -6* camber and 13.3* @4"
tried with 1/2 longer bj on top -6* camber and was 14.3
tried with 1/2 longer bj on top with original upper back on car and it was 16.2 @ 4" travel

gauge says im getting plenty of gain but video shows otherwise... whats wrong here lol

You not taking into consideration that the chassis is rolling thus losing camber to the ground. Your numbers don't make sense, shortening the RF should have added camber not remove it. I'd double check your results again.

It gained like it should have going from the shorter arm to the shorter arm with the taller ball join but with the longer arm it lost going to the taller ball joint. Something not adding up

Matt49
07-01-2015, 07:42 PM
Yeah, something isn't adding up. If you shortened the upper and spaced it back out, you should get MORE camber gain on bump, not less. Where are you measuring your travel from? Needs to be something that will not change with the adjustments you're making. If you're measuring from the snout of the spindle (common), this could be your problem. The snout is going to move more as camber gain increases and then when you measure you may be at a different reference point.
I would measure travel from the lower shock mount but take into consideration what it is doing to the travel at the wheel.

jesel45
07-01-2015, 07:54 PM
thanks for the quick response guys, i left the gauge on it the entire time, and was measuring from the floor to the center of the lower caliper bolt, the whole thing has me thrown for a loop, i triple checked myself once i put the shorter upper on and it came back with less gain, i have the car on stands with the rf shock off and was checking upper and lower aframe angles at the same time, do i need to have the wheels turned one direction or the other when i do this?

billetbirdcage
07-01-2015, 07:56 PM
no straight, but measure travel off the lower arm instead of anything connected to the spindle to avoid the problems matt said.

Or just measure pin to pin on your shock mounts

billetbirdcage
07-01-2015, 08:09 PM
I just plugged some quick numbers into my calc and shortening the RF a 1/2" should gain you about a degree to 1.25 over 4" travel with a front end roughly like many rayburn spindled cars. Don't know a ton about the front end on a pierce but assume they are a rayburn style front end.

Also came up right on a degree for the .5 longer ball joint

25drtrkr
07-01-2015, 08:19 PM
Whats your rf tire wear look like? That's the true indicator of camber gain. If its even across the tire, I wouldn't worry about it. But you could try a little more camber to see it it made your car cut better.

Like bbc stated, checking it statically doesn't tell you a whole lot. You need some software to check it dynamically, as you lose most of your camber, when the car rolls over.

jesel45
07-01-2015, 09:06 PM
guys thank you, billet, you can pretty much unbolt a front susp on a rayburn and bolt it on a pierce, im done beating my head against this tonight, plus im starting to think my batteries might be low in my digital cast/camb gauge so im gonna go at in again tomorrow, will update my results! again thank you very much!

TALON75
07-01-2015, 11:21 PM
Are you sure you're getting 4 inches of travel at the track?

jesel45
07-03-2015, 12:50 AM
Fyi, rechecked tonight, with 7 3/4 upper and longer bj, had 18.25* @ 4" of travel... hope it works lol

Dirtmod13
07-03-2015, 08:50 AM
Realistically, how much camber is too much?

MasterSbilt_Racer
07-03-2015, 10:55 AM
Realistically, how much camber is too much?

Depends on track configuration and how much your chassis rolls and tire construction.

hucktyson
07-03-2015, 05:12 PM
Bobby pierce is one of the best in the country at " rolling the hub " and his right front isn't leaned in like a club 29. I'm not sure I would try to completely reinvent the wheel ..