PDA

View Full Version : Adding wedge

race4dad 31
07-07-2015, 12:48 PM
I understand there are multiple ways to add wedge when at the track, what do most folks find the easiest? As always it would be best to try all of this on the scales before hand but some do not have that option. What is a good baseline to estimate the amount of wedge you put in at the track?

25drtrkr
07-07-2015, 01:13 PM
I like Joe Garrisons technique, been using it for years.
1 rd out lf
1 rd in rf
2 rds in lr
2 rds out rr = 50lbs of added wedge, but I usually only do half of each one to add 25lbs.

TheJet-09
07-07-2015, 01:54 PM
It also depends on what the spring rate is at the corner you're adjusting. 4 turns on a 500# spring is different than 4 turns on a 200# spring. The four corner thing is great when you're first setting up your car (baseline) in order to keep your ride heights the same, but I see many guys just cranking down on the LR through the night. If you initially set your car up at the builders ride heights with the spring rates they recommend, it's amazing how little adjustment needs to be done from there to get the corner weights you want. Hope it's been going well @race4dad31!

Matt49
07-07-2015, 02:39 PM
For at track adjustment as the track slicks off, some people like to add wedge by just cranking it into the LR. Like Jet said, how many turns depends on spring rate and the thread pitch of your shocks (this varies some from brand to brand).
Doing it all in the LR does a few things. It obviously adds wedge which will tighten you up off the corner at the expense of freeing you up going in. But by cranking it all into the LR you have also increased LR ride height which increases j-bar angle and static left side 4-bar angles. This will tighten you up some getting in (enough to make up for the added wedge is up to you) and provide additional forward bite due to the increased 4-bar angles. There's a time and a place for this.

race4dad 31
07-08-2015, 08:19 AM
@jet, thanks for the help through this spring things have been going OK, just trying to soak up as much info as possible. I have been making adjustments to put wedge in the car the way both you and Matt explain as well as I have tried 25drtrkr's explanation. I have not been able to dial it in to something I thought worked great yet, I wish I had the availability to set the car on scales for about a week make multiple adjustments and take notes but haven't gotten the chance to do that yet.

TheJet-09
07-08-2015, 06:20 PM
@ race4dad31, glad to hear it's okay so far. Unless you're not getting the rain everyone else is, we should all have more time at the shop 'cause we sure aren't racing much! Are you trying to fix/cure a certain issue? If you post something more specific/direct there are many on here that could help. Good luck!

race4dad 31
07-08-2015, 07:08 PM
Jet the biggest trouble I have is I get in the corner good at about half throttle and as I try to pick the throttle back up in the middle and on exit I can't seem to do anything but spin the tires. No matter how softly I get to the throttle they just want to "light" up.

TheJet-09
07-09-2015, 02:27 AM
Having said that, I'd be looking in other areas then...like tail weight %, lift bar (5th coil), engine torque curve. If I recall, aren't you on a pretty hard tire? Sounds like you have a broader issue than just LR bite. See what others have to say...

billetbirdcage
07-09-2015, 04:28 PM
Having said that, I'd be looking in other areas then...like tail weight %, lift bar (5th coil), engine torque curve. If I recall, aren't you on a pretty hard tire? Sounds like you have a broader issue than just LR bite. See what others have to say...

Agreed, you need to look else where IMO

rakracing
07-09-2015, 04:47 PM
Im with billet and jet, 5th coil softer , longer, check pinion angle of rear, binds on birdcages , if its real slick put a lot of travel in the throttle linkage to be smooth, also haven't used the squirter on the secondarys for years, also helps to be smooth

race4dad 31
07-10-2015, 10:55 AM
I have went all the way out to 36 on 5th tried from a 275-375 pinion angle is correct took bars and shocks of BC and checked for binds, if there is any tack it is ok but once it slicks off at all it is no good. As far as the original question I was just asking so that i knew if there was a way to adjust wedge that I had not thought of. I realize that is not going to fix all of the problems I am having.

25drtrkr
07-10-2015, 11:50 AM
Don't be afraid to go softer on the 5th coil. On a blue Rocket, we had to go to a 250. Sounds like you need some more rear also. One thing Mark Bush has been preaching lately is too take some rebound out of the rf when track slicks off.