PDA

View Full Version : Another PDC Question - Food Category

dirt crow
07-13-2015, 07:02 AM
Ok locals. Me and my son are staying in Bloomington. Anywhere around there or on the way to Fairbury is there a place to get some good ol walleye? Can't get it here in Bama so we hoping to find a place. Thanks

skids
07-13-2015, 08:22 AM
This one is on your way from Bloomington to the track. I'm fairly sure they have walleye, but I can't swear to it. I've never had a bad meal there.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/chenoa-family-restaurant-chenoa?hrid=ONTrbOt2VrMCrsSpq-8sDw&rh_type=phrase&rh_ident=large_menu

CMatich
07-13-2015, 10:25 AM
The first reply is going south of Bloomington.
Also in Chenoa, to go with Skids reply, is the Brown Jug tavern on Rt 24. They have a big walleye fry every Friday night(obviously won't work with races). Any fish left is available for lunch on Saturday. Huge pieces for sure.
Gotta be some insight from Bloomington people on this too......

ILL-DIRTDOG
07-13-2015, 11:41 AM
Ok locals. Me and my son are staying in Bloomington. Anywhere around there or on the way to Fairbury is there a place to get some good ol walleye? Can't get it here in Bama so we hoping to find a place. Thanks

You talking from a meat counter to cook or looking for sit down meal???

t4g2
07-13-2015, 11:56 AM
McDonalds family restaurant right in fairbury just a few blocks from the track has it.

Highside Hustler25
07-13-2015, 12:31 PM
McDonalds family restaurant right in fairbury just a few blocks from the track has it.

Spot on t4g2 ! Is the original poster refering to Walleye Polock (salt water version) or Fresh water Walleye? Big difference. And Micky D's version I believe is Cod.

Start out on 1 end of Veterans Parkway to the other end and I'm sure someone will have it. Probably 100 eating venues to pick from.

CRK
07-13-2015, 12:52 PM
Skip the fish. Nowhere around here has a decent fish fry anymore. Stop in at Kemps Upper Tap in Lexington on your way up 55. New place should be open soon. Great food and awesome beer selection.

shaferz
07-13-2015, 01:28 PM
Kemps was going to be my suggestion as well.

golddirt
07-13-2015, 05:04 PM
hh he isnt talking about mickey d's, a family resturant in fairbury called mcdonalds

Highside Hustler25
07-13-2015, 05:28 PM
You mean the one with the golden arc's instead of the golden arches? 2 all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, and cheese except their buns don't have sesame seeds McDonalds? I think it's called Mc Dowells.:D

ptown
07-13-2015, 05:34 PM
Spot on t4g2 ! Is the original poster refering to Walleye Polock (salt water version) or Fresh water Walleye? Big difference. And Micky D's version I believe is Cod.

No resteraunts around here serve real fresh water Walleye, it's all pollock passed off as Walleye.

Highside Hustler25
07-13-2015, 05:44 PM
No resteraunts around here serve real fresh water Walleye, it's all pollock passed off as Walleye.

Close Ptown and usually right except for a few exceptions. Their used to be a place across the river that had fresh water Walleye. There is a seafood restaurant in Rockford that used to serve Blue Gill. It's pond raised but is fresh water fish. But your right, 99% is pollock.

cdustyr1
07-13-2015, 07:49 PM
You mean the one with the golden arc's instead of the golden arches? 2 all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, and cheese except their buns don't have sesame seeds McDonalds? I think it's called Mc Dowells.:D

I love that movie

waaac77
07-13-2015, 10:14 PM
You mean the one with the golden arc's instead of the golden arches? 2 all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, and cheese except their buns don't have sesame seeds McDonalds? I think it's called Mc Dowells.:DThe guy that owns McDowells was also with Colonel Stewart in Die Hard 2

ILL-DIRTDOG
07-14-2015, 07:33 AM
Lake Road Inn at lake Bloomington....Its just up the road north of B/N....A businessman from Bloomington just recently purchased the business. This from Bloomington normal restaurant scene on FB...."the all-you-can-eat Friday night fish fry (walleye) tradition that goes back to at least 1935 continues. as does the Wednesday night pork chop and catfish specials"...Under new ownership that's making lots of updates...More kitchen help as thin crust pizza is added as well as nine "popular specialty beers"...he says sales volume has more than tripled since he bought it June 1st.

dirt crow
07-14-2015, 08:08 AM
Thanks everyone. I been browsing and googling your suggestions.

t4g2
07-14-2015, 09:55 AM
If u want great wings in Bloomington go to mugsys an for great onion rings/pork tenderloin go to schooners

t4g2
07-14-2015, 09:57 AM
An yes I was talking about McDonalds family restaurant in fairbury just few blocks from track been there since 1957 so they must be doing something right

Mcklovin85..
07-14-2015, 12:13 PM
Anyone know if they have cab service in downtown Fairbury? Looking for a driver to get a couple drunks back to the motel... Last year cops were thick outside of town on Friday night...

Fairbury Speedway
07-14-2015, 12:14 PM
Ok, I posted this question on my facebook page for you, I don't do fish very often so I have no clue where to tell you but I got alot of good replies. The best one is from the owner of a Bar / Grill in Fairbury named Benchwarmers, Owner Dave Johansen asked us to send you there and ask for him and he will hook you up. Dave will make sure you're taken care of and the money you spend helps our local businesses which is very important to us. Thanks For Coming!!

dirt crow
07-14-2015, 12:56 PM
Ok, I posted this question on my facebook page for you, I don't do fish very often so I have no clue where to tell you but I got alot of good replies. The best one is from the owner of a Bar / Grill in Fairbury named Benchwarmers, Owner Dave Johansen asked us to send you there and ask for him and he will hook you up. Dave will make sure you're taken care of and the money you spend helps our local businesses which is very important to us. Thanks For Coming!!

Hey! Will do! Thanks

t4g2
07-14-2015, 06:35 PM
Hey for taxi I see 1 in fairbury its called western union its at 403 oak st fairbury. There is two in Pontiac not sure if they come to fairbury.

Bubstr
07-14-2015, 07:32 PM

I have ate at the Benchwarmers and the food was good. I didn't have fish, but a giant tenderloin and had the rest of it for lunch the next day. There was Dollar bags of ice at Dave's supermarket last year. At that price, you don't have to drink warm beer. All in all a very friendly town.