PDA

View Full Version : Need help!! Water or fuel in oil

modified11
07-13-2015, 07:37 PM
I went racing this past Friday night and had no motor issues. The car sat on the trailer until Sunday morning. I unloaded the car and washed it. (Covered the breather on the valve cover, covered distributor, and had a carb cap on)
After it had dried, I went to crank the car and it spun over once and stopped. It would not turn over anymore. I pulled the plugs and all the plugs were wet. Number 1,8, and 4 had fuel (that's what it smelled like) pour out. I drained the oil and it looked fine at first. However then either fuel or water started coming out really fast and thin. Then it finished off with oil coming out. Did not look very milky just thin.
I checked the water level in the radiator and it is full.

Any advice? I'm freaking out! Lol

billetbirdcage
07-13-2015, 07:56 PM
I went racing this past Friday night and had no motor issues. The car sat on the trailer until Sunday morning. I unloaded the car and washed it. (Covered the breather on the valve cover, covered distributor, and had a carb cap on)
After it had dried, I went to crank the car and it spun over once and stopped. It would not turn over anymore. I pulled the plugs and all the plugs were wet. Number 1,8, and 4 had fuel (that's what it smelled like) pour out. I drained the oil and it looked fine at first. However then either fuel or water started coming out really fast and thin. Then it finished off with oil coming out. Did not look very milky just thin.
I checked the water level in the radiator and it is full.

Any advice? I'm freaking out! Lol

Did the car sit with the back end elevated? Since you said on trailer, did you have the tongue of the trailer on the ground where the back end of the car was higher then the front end? I have seen fuel siphon thru the carb and fill a cylinder or the crankcase but usually with a belt drive style pump and generally needs to be a bottom feed fuel cell not a top draw one.

modified11
07-13-2015, 08:07 PM
The car was level on the trailer. Also the fuel feeds off of the top of the fuel cell. I'm running race gas if that matters.
I thought maybe the fuel just dumped from the carb into the motor, but it was more than any carb could hold.

billetbirdcage
07-13-2015, 08:33 PM
The car was level on the trailer. Also the fuel feeds off of the top of the fuel cell. I'm running race gas if that matters.
I thought maybe the fuel just dumped from the carb into the motor, but it was more than any carb could hold.

Are you running an oxygenated fuel where your capping the vent on the fuel cell after the races are over? I'm grabbing at straws here but I guess if you are and it was out in the heat the fuel cell could have built pressure and dumped fuel into the engine.

Sound's like somehow it put fuel in the engine thru the carb or it wouldn't have filled the cylinders. Only other thing that really would fill the cylinders is a cracked head or head gasket but you said coolant level is fine so sort of rules that out.

modified11
07-13-2015, 10:42 PM
I'm starting to think your right. Almost like its syphoning through the pump and through the carb. My fuel line comes out of the top of the cell, but then it drops down all the way to the pump. Just thinking out loud, but I'm thinking move the line up higher and it would stop gravity feeding it? I also have a shut off valve and cut shut the fuel off after a night of racing.
I pulled the pump off and took it apart and everything looks ok.

dereksehi
07-13-2015, 10:53 PM
I don't want to scare you but turning an engine over against a hydrolocked cylinder like that could have bent a connecting rod I know of a couple guys that have lost good engines due to this just might want to keep this in mind.

let-r-eat
07-13-2015, 11:22 PM
Definitely turn it over with the plugs out. I'd say it's water from washing.

50j
07-14-2015, 10:02 PM
Using a shut off valve creates no problems but saves you from some big ones. You just have to remember to turn it back on before you pull onto the track.

powerslide
07-14-2015, 10:14 PM
it creates a problem when you forget to turn it on and make it halfway to the line up and have to get out and turn it on with all ur gear on!