PDA

View Full Version : My Wheatland thoughts

dirt33
07-14-2015, 03:31 PM
(Warning: this post is nothing more than me rambling about random thoughts after arriving back home from Wheatland.)

- Living in Texas as a late model fan is a bummer (especially this year with the early season LOLMS and WoO events that are at least "somewhat" close to here being rained out). Wheatland has become my "go-to" spot, and even it is a 10 hour drive (slow go pulling a camper trailer). I took a friend this weekend who had never been to a late model race; his only dirt track experience was weekly IMCA shows around here. We had a blast. Of course I knew he would think the facility was top notch, but he liked the actual cars and racing even more than I had hoped he would. Heck, in the waning laps of the Show Me feature on Sunday night, I was dragging and was just about looking forward to going back to the campground at the end, while he was loving every minute of it, and eager to tour the pits.

- I love Lucas Oil Speedway so much. Great camping set up... Friendly people... Good food... Of course, the Diamond Bar... You don't have to wait in line for much of anything... The scoreboard and video board... How beautiful it is; for instance, a sodded infield with a concrete road through it at a dirt track, wow... So many good viewing angles (my favorite is the perch on the backstretch)... Good restrooms... Everything is clean and well kept...

- Davenport, obviously not much can be said other than this dude is a stud. How he took off after Stovall challenged him late in the race was unreal.

- Impressive run by Bloomquist on Saturday night in the 777, and of course on Sunday night as well in the zero. It's gotta be burning him that Superman is so good right now.

- Stovall hung in nicely, good job by him. I wonder if the car he ran on Sunday night is the new Black Diamond he has been waiting on, or if it is his other Black Diamond with a new body or just new decals on it? Not that it looked much different, but some of the sponsor decals were slightly different, and the roof looked different to me. I noticed he pulled off during Saturday's feature, wonder if he was just saving up for the front row Show Me start?

- Jackson hung towards the front longer than I thought he would on Sunday night. He ran well all weekend.

- I can't imagine too many people saw Chris Simpson's weekend coming. 5th on Saturday night was a heck of a run for him. No way in the world anyone would have predicted what he did on Sunday night (31st to 3rd). They obviously hit on something in the Childress car. It was cool to see a guy "not quite at the big dog level" have that kind of run. Both cars in the top 10 on Saturday night, and then Simpson's performance on Sunday night, had to make the Childress team pretty happy.

- Pretty tough watching the Bowyer cars all weekend. What in the world is going on? I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall in the 5 trailer after the Show Me feature, with just about the entire group (5 and 15) assembled around Clint for quite a long time. Clint himself did finally come out, and spent a bunch of time with fans.

- Been wondering this for awhile now... What is up with the Landers team routing the exhaust out the passenger side door like that? Can't say I've ever seen that on a dirt late model. I would think the db level from that could pose some problems at certain tracks (or maybe I've just watched enough racing on the West Coast, where they do have sound restictions, to think that anything east of the Mississippi would also have rules regarding sound. Do either of the top series ever race somewhere that has any kind of max db level sound rule?).

- Gustin hasn't seemed to be running real well lately. Didn't look very good at all at Wheatland. The chassis game is of course as "ever-changing" as it ever has been. I heard them announce the 19R as a Victory Circle, and I pretty much cringed. I thought he was "at least" in a Rocket......?

- What did everyone think of Baker racing Davenport so hard coming off of 4, on the lap that Davenport jumped the cushion? Fair or foul on the part of the lapped car? (I ask because myself and my buddy had vastly different thoughts about it, so I am curious to know what the general consensus is, although I suspect opinions will be varied....)

- Solid weekend for Owens, would be nice to see his team get back to their winning ways.

- Had a great time. Thank you Lucas Oil Speedway staff. Wish I lived closer! I would be at I-80 in a heartbeat this weekend if I could be. The big events at Wheatland will certainly be on my future list.

kazual
07-14-2015, 04:28 PM
Pretty much right on. How fortunes can ebb and flow (1) gustin? from phenom two years ago to wherever it is they are now, he hasn't forgotten how to drive, its more than that, hope he rebounds as he is good for the sport (2) the Bowyer teams; words escape me, the 5 has fans and detractors alike, everone seems to root for the 15 but that what's make it even harder to accept, hope they can find some success yet this year. (3) Davenport, from when he drove for Bowyer to now, wow.

Punisher88
07-14-2015, 04:42 PM
I thought the same thing at the dream about landers. It's like being at a supercross race amd the one guy still on a 2 stroke. It is insanely loud and you know when he comes by without even looking.

Okfine
07-14-2015, 04:45 PM
Pretty much right on. How fortunes can ebb and flow (1) gustin? from phenom two years ago to wherever it is they are now, he hasn't forgotten how to drive, its more than that, hope he rebounds as he is good for the sport (2) the Bowyer teams; words escape me, the 5 has fans and detractors alike, everone seems to root for the 15 but that what's make it even harder to accept, hope they can find some success yet this year. (3) Davenport, from when he drove for Bowyer to now, wow.

He was a great driver before bowyer, and he is a great ( even more mature ) driver after bowyer........The drivers are not the problem with that bowyer group.

T-MAC39FAN
07-14-2015, 05:00 PM
He was a great driver before bowyer, and he is a great ( even more mature ) driver after bowyer........The drivers are not the problem with that bowyer group.

Well said okfine!

hucktyson
07-14-2015, 05:04 PM
After coming from
The back and attempting to knock the wall down at I80 2 years ago gustin was never supposed to lose another race according to the 4m wizards of smart ...

zyoung25
07-14-2015, 05:52 PM
I thought the same thing at the dream about landers. It's like being at a supercross race amd the one guy still on a 2 stroke. It is insanely loud and you know when he comes by without even looking.

He's been running that the last couple months, not sure what the scoop on that is, me personally......I think it sounds awesome in person. Sounds like a trophy truck or a late model from the early 2000s.

The struggle to Bowyer cars have been going through is a complete shock to me. O'Neal won some early, and hasn't done much since.

Pretty cool write up dirt33.....I hope to make it out there one year.

Hoosier_Dirt
07-14-2015, 06:50 PM
This exhaust has been run on a dirt late model before. Bloomquist run it in 95 for a while. No advantages,just different. Myself I kinda like it.

RRRKKK
07-14-2015, 07:29 PM
For anyone who hasn't been to Wheatland put it on your bucket list. the above post isn't over blown!

Punisher88
07-14-2015, 07:49 PM
I thought it sounded awesome. I love it when I go to Atlanta for a supercross amd the one guy is still on a 2 stroke. It sounds wicked.

intel8
07-14-2015, 08:08 PM
7 hour drive one way for me, two awesome nights of racing, great campground, friendly people. I thought Landers car had very cool unique sound.

hyde
07-14-2015, 09:13 PM
That IS NOT the new car Stovall has been waiting on... It's the same car he's had all year.. The waiting list for New black diamonds is huge and is at the point to where when it gets done it gets done. New body with new decals.

fryefan
07-14-2015, 09:52 PM
Spot on post. Lucas Oil Speedway is the best dirt track in the country by far.

dirt33
07-14-2015, 09:58 PM
That IS NOT the new car Stovall has been waiting on... It's the same car he's had all year.. The waiting list for New black diamonds is huge and is at the point to where when it gets done it gets done. New body with new decals.

Thanks for the info hyde. I was going to be surprised if Stovall had obtained a second Black Diamond car, given how long the list is. But, I certainly thought something looked different about his car.

dirt33
07-14-2015, 10:03 PM
In the recap video of the Show Me, Chris Simpson mentioned that he now has a 2nd and a 3rd in this race. I did not remember that he finished 2nd to Owens in 2013. So, I guess his 31st to 3rd run isn't quite as shocking as I previously thought (still incredibly impressive without a doubt). Anyhow, I said earlier "no one would have predicted Simpson's run".... I guess maybe some people would have called it, given how good he is there.

dirt33
07-14-2015, 10:05 PM
Surprised not to see Will Vaught this weekend. From looking at his site, I'm guessing motor problems have kept him sidelined currently?

hyde
07-14-2015, 10:24 PM
Surprised not to see Will Vaught this weekend. From looking at his site, I'm guessing motor problems have kept him sidelined currently?

Vaught has a young family and his son has taken up go carts... I was told this so this from a close source I have never talked to Vaught directly... Also Vaught has been racing since he was eight and since he has started a family racing has not become as important as it once was. There are other circumstance involved that are not my business but I do not think we have seen the last of Vaught, I think once his family gets older he may get the fire back and he will be racing again.

kazual
07-15-2015, 05:36 AM
Simpson's run was a surprise given where he started but has some precedence as was mentioned. He runs the inside as well as anyone I've seen at that track.

klemmabyna
07-15-2015, 07:59 AM
dirt33: really enjoyed your recap and glad to hear your guest had a great time.

shaferz
07-15-2015, 08:02 AM
Looked like a great facility - and great review. Will have to add it to the list of tracks to visit.

dirt33
07-15-2015, 11:13 AM
Vaught has a young family and his son has taken up go carts... I was told this so this from a close source I have never talked to Vaught directly... Also Vaught has been racing since he was eight and since he has started a family racing has not become as important as it once was. There are other circumstance involved that are not my business but I do not think we have seen the last of Vaught, I think once his family gets older he may get the fire back and he will be racing again.

Thanks again hyde for some more info. Vaught was quick at Wheatland in May, in fact on our drive up to Missouri on Friday night, Will was one of the guys I gave a heads up to my friend about, as far as being a darkhouse contender to pull off the upset in one of the two races this past weekend. But, from his Facebook page, I can tell that he is enjoying family time and the kids racing carts now, which is great. Certainly can't blame a guy for having his priorities in order.

dirt33
07-15-2015, 11:34 AM
dirt33: really enjoyed your recap and glad to hear your guest had a great time.

klemmabyna, thank you. This forum certainly has alot of junk to weed through these days. I was hoping someone might enjoy reading "one man's opinion" of how things went this weekend. Myself, I love reading things like this that other people write. In the Dirtondirt recap stories, my favorite parts to read are the "notes" sections that have random tidbits about drivers, crew members, the track, etc...

My friend couldn't get enough of roaming through the pits, he wanted me to point out pretty much anyone and anything I knew. I was astonished how quickly into the weekend he was already pointing out things like, "Man, that Landers is driving like an animal out there!", and even mentioning drivers by name that I had only very briefly mentioned as we walked by their hauler. He picked up names, faces, numbers, etc real quick, and I'm sure it was because we covered each row in the pits about 5 times each day.

I will say, I 100% appreciate the postings you have made on here over the years as well... I see your name and I immediately know that "he's one of the good posters on here." As an Iowan myself, alot of the places you have been and stories you have posted are things that I can just picture in my head from being there myself over the years. I know that hitting Corning with your Dad is something that has been a big part of your racing life over the years. Heck, I strongly considered motoring up to Corning a few weeks ago for the MLRA race, but my time off of work situation is so scarce that I really only get Saturday nights off in terms of being able to go watch a race. So, just way too far for me to try to make the roundtrip in less than 48 hours. I wouldn't mind one bit if life were to take me back in that direction at some point, as being a race fan in the Midwest is about as good as it gets.

Enjoy the rest of the season!

Nasty55
07-15-2015, 11:54 AM
After coming from
The back and attempting to knock the wall down at I80 2 years ago gustin was never supposed to lose another race according to the 4m wizards of smart ...

This coming from a guy a climbs in his car on jack stands in his garage puts his helmet on and goes vroooom vroooooom....... Gitty up horsy because he is to much of a candy azz to actually go race it!!! Why don't you go back and service Sergio some more Johnny boy.......

JimBo
07-15-2015, 01:42 PM
Great recap dirt33 and I could not agree with you more. Wheatland is 3 1/2 hours from my house or I would drive up there weekly. Great show great track.

Okfine
07-15-2015, 06:03 PM
This coming from a guy a climbs in his car on jack stands in his garage puts his helmet on and goes vroooom vroooooom....... Gitty up horsy because he is to much of a candy azz to actually go race it!!! Why don't you go back and service Sergio some more Johnny boy.......

Funny stuff right there, and oh so true.

I too enjoyed the initial posters commentary.......very cool that he would take the time to share the excitement with a newer dlm race fan.

Sounded like a great time for all.

Clayton_Wetter
07-16-2015, 03:22 PM
This exhaust has been run on a dirt late model before. Bloomquist run it in 95 for a while. No advantages,just different. Myself I kinda like it.

Doesn't the same amount of noise come out an exhaust no matter where it is located??? jus wundrin!!!!

Bubstr
07-16-2015, 07:31 PM
Doesn't the same amount of noise come out an exhaust no matter where it is located??? jus wundrin!!!!

If we are talking 180 degree headers, they have their own distinct sound and both pipes aimed at the grandstands, can give some extra bing bang in the ying yang. Tried some in the late 70s.