PDA

View Full Version : Van Alstine Groover temp?

RSS
07-16-2015, 09:16 AM
2 seasons old, doesn't seem like it gets as hot as it used to. I've had to got to hottest setting and still not enough. Any ideas? Thanks

hucktyson
07-16-2015, 11:29 AM
Take the blade out , spray the tip out real good with brake cleaner , blow gun it dry and it will be fine.

06Tireman
07-16-2015, 01:16 PM
Also make sure you plugged directly into the wall and not an extension cord.. Mines been on the highest setting for 2 years.. Cleaned the head.. even got a new head for it.. Didn't make a difference.. I think after time they start to wear out and the transformer doesn't get as hot.. Gonna send it up to Van Alstine and have them go over it this winter..

RSS
07-16-2015, 04:16 PM
Thanks will try cleaning first before sending in. Thanks again

Race fan1
07-17-2015, 04:49 PM
I had this same trouble several years ago. I called the company and the man that answered the phone said the transformer and internals are not going to wear out. He said he would look at it if I wanted him to but that he had never seen one that he needed to repair. Just clean the head as described above or worse case senerio maybe a loose connection or a wire was not transferring the proper amperage.

TALON75
07-18-2015, 02:36 AM
Try fitting the blade as loose as possible, just tighten it down barely enough so it doesn't move. I clean it with brake clean and a soft wire brush thoroughly.

cumminsman08
07-18-2015, 12:24 PM
Is there a trick to getting the cut pieces to pop up more when grooving? It seems I've tried every temp with our van Alstine and the pieces of tire are real hard to pull out almost have to use a screw driver..
I was watching the guy next to us and his groover almost pulls them up out of the tire then he just brushes them off almost.. newer style groove maybe?

TALON75
07-20-2015, 10:03 PM
No special tools that I know of. I do know that they fall right out on my right side tires because I usually have more air pressure in them, I have to dig them out of the leftsides .

billetbirdcage
07-21-2015, 01:14 PM
Use the minimum air needed to hold the tire steady when grooving, then air up the tire more to remove the pieces. Keep in mind this will make the grooves wider though when the tire is at full air pressure

cumminsman08
07-21-2015, 02:20 PM
Ok thanks for the tips, we use the g1000 series and was thinking about upgrading to the v100 if it made grooving easier.. but I'll give the air pressure a try

billetbirdcage
07-21-2015, 02:51 PM
Ok thanks for the tips, we use the g1000 series and was thinking about upgrading to the v100 if it made grooving easier.. but I'll give the air pressure a try

You can also alter how easy they come out by how you install the blade and or the blade size and how far you spread the ends that go into the cutter.

Meaning you can use a #4 and install it so it looks like this I_I or you can spread it some so like this \_/ or more preferable like this I_/ and use the 90 degree side so you have a better edge on the side towards the slip angle of the tire and let the 75 degree side be on the non slip angle side of the tire. This will sort of hurt you if you need to flip the tire.

Even some slight angle in the blade will make removing the pieces easier especially if you air the tire up. A lot of time if your not worried about stretching the tire you can air it up a ton and bounce it on the ground and most will pop out.

06Tireman
07-21-2015, 05:35 PM
Ok thanks for the tips, we use the g1000 series and was thinking about upgrading to the v100 if it made grooving easier.. but I'll give the air pressure a try One thing to keep in mind is they don't use the same blades.. The v100 head will not allow you to use flat bottom blades.. I don't care for the head on the v100.. Prefer the g1000 a lot more.. I have both actually.. I have my v100 setup with a #2 and the g1000 with a #1 blade.. I prefer a really small cut around my 1325 RR's and I just cant get that with the v100 ...