PDA

View Full Version : Fairbury

$UMP$
07-27-2015, 06:29 PM
With all the buzz regarding Fairbury and The PDC is it time to consider it a crown jewel?

Pennsboro23
07-27-2015, 07:27 PM
Absolutely....

plunks7
07-27-2015, 08:58 PM
I thought a crown Jewel race had to pay better than $50.000.00? Knoxville is not considered a crown Jewel and neither is Cedar Lake. For $26.000.00 it has a long way to go!!!!!

Pennsboro23
07-27-2015, 09:00 PM
I thought a crown Jewel race had to pay better than $50.000.00? Knoxville is not considered a crown Jewel and neither is Cedar Lake. For $26.000.00 it has a long way to go!!!!!

It's not all about the money, also who doesn't consider Knoxville and Cedar Lake crown jewels?

plunks7
07-27-2015, 09:07 PM
It's not all about the money, also who doesn't consider Knoxville and Cedar Lake crown jewels?

The people who have determined which races are the crown jewels. Higher authority people than you or I and this entire 4m board!!!! I would love for these 2 races to be named crown Jewels. But there not.

WisWildManFan
07-27-2015, 09:14 PM
Crown jewel is just a term the higher ups use to promote these races, facilities, TV airings. I think the atmosphere rivaled eldora, only difference to me is amount of racing I get to see at eldora. Plus I'm a fan of inverts. I'd like to tell out of staters to come to the PDC next year but basically at full capacity now

Pennsboro23
07-27-2015, 09:19 PM
The people who have determined which races are the crown jewels. Higher authority people than you or I and this entire 4m board!!!! I would love for these 2 races to be named crown Jewels. But there not.

Not sure who that would be? Ask the winner of Knoxville and the USA Nationals if they think those races are crown jewels. I think most people will agree that the World, Dream, DTWC, Knoxville, North South, USA Nats, Topless, and Show Me are the crown jewels. The PDC is probably joining that discussion. Races that are borderline crown jewels in my opinion are the Firecracker, Hillbilly, World Finals. That's just my opinion, crown jewels differ from person to person, driver to driver.

plunks7
07-27-2015, 09:19 PM
Who are these people, and what makes them so high and mighty? :D

Good question. They must be blind. There are several races they should consider crown Jewels or at least add them to the list. I-80, Fairbury and the 2 I mentioned. Maybe they could have just a crown Jewel series point champion. Would add more excitement.

plunks7
07-27-2015, 09:23 PM
Is pdc capable of running the same format as I-80? Best format out there. No D A M N time trials. You race to get in or go home!!!!!

plunks7
07-27-2015, 09:29 PM
When ya got something going as good as the pdc at Fals do you really want to mess with it?

Yes. See who really is on there game and can race.

fryefan
07-27-2015, 10:35 PM

Both of those are CLEARLY crown jewel events, as well as the Show-Me 100, Silver Dollar Nationals, the Dream, the World 100, etc.

fryefan
07-27-2015, 10:37 PM
Who are these people, and what makes them so high and mighty? :D

They only exist in his/her mind.

fryefan
07-27-2015, 10:38 PM
Not sure who that would be? Ask the winner of Knoxville and the USA Nationals if they think those races are crown jewels. I think most people will agree that the World, Dream, DTWC, Knoxville, North South, USA Nats, Topless, and Show Me are the crown jewels. The PDC is probably joining that discussion. Races that are borderline crown jewels in my opinion are the Firecracker, Hillbilly, World Finals. That's just my opinion, crown jewels differ from person to person, driver to driver.

Excellent analysis of the situation.

GEAR_HEAD
07-28-2015, 06:29 AM
When ya got something going as good as the pdc at Fals do you really want to mess with it?

Yes, the I-80 format would make it even better! WoO can't think outside the box though. Mark Richards would have a hissy fit, and we can't have that.

kazual
07-28-2015, 07:04 AM
My list would not include any that time trial or have provisionals, a true stand alone event, no handicapping or automatics from outside point standings, everyone on equal footing. Like the I80 and Knoxville formats overall, if they drop the provisionals.

Josh Bayko
07-28-2015, 09:02 AM
The term Crown Jewel is thrown around way, way too much in dirt late model racing. Just because race pays more than 20K doesn't make it a crown jewel.

CIRF
07-28-2015, 09:52 AM
The term Crown Jewel is thrown around way, way too much in dirt late model racing. Just because race pays more than 20K doesn't make it a crown jewel.

And there you have it. Thank you Josh for putting things into crystal clear perspective.

Cardirt0
07-28-2015, 10:06 AM
I Don't get it .....Most there say its the Race of the YEAR (and last year and the year be for).... And people want to change it WHAT......If this is not a Crown Jewel then most ant......I guess the race has to $uck and pay a million bucks to be called a Crown Jewel ......

#FALSuperman
07-28-2015, 10:26 AM
I Don't get it .....Most there say its the Race of the YEAR (and last year and the year be for).... And people want to change it WHAT......If this is not a Crown Jewel then most ant......I guess the race has to $uck and pay a million bucks to be called a Crown Jewel ......Agreed...going even further back, FALS PDC has been named race of the year 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015?? If so, that would be 4 out of 5 years. Find me another track which has the race of the year 4 out of 5 years. I liked the assessment someone said earlier...FALS is like Dirt Tracks version of Field of Dreams. Maybe they should move the "Dream 100" race to FALS

racingfool32
07-28-2015, 10:32 AM
Not sure who that would be? Ask the winner of Knoxville and the USA Nationals if they think those races are crown jewels. I think most people will agree that the World, Dream, DTWC, Knoxville, North South, USA Nats, Topless, and Show Me are the crown jewels. The PDC is probably joining that discussion.

I agree with that list. After making my first but not last trip to the PDC I'd say it goes on the list.

cjp0354
07-28-2015, 10:38 AM
I don't want to get into the debate on what is or is not a crown jewel. I Will add this info; per DOD Owens last year's winner of Cedar Lake is skipping that race to take a week off along with Epj and some other Lucas regulars. Davenport was considering skipping this 50k payday but he never considered skipping that 26k one. I guess my point is Fairbury has got the attention of the racers.

Cardirt0
07-28-2015, 11:08 AM
I don't want to get into the debate on what is or is not a crown jewel. I Will add this info; per DOD Owens last year's winner of Cedar Lake is skipping that race to take a week off along with Epj and some other Lucas regulars. Davenport was considering skipping this 50k payday but he never considered skipping that 26k one. I guess my point is Fairbury has got the attention of the racers.

Fairbury gos out of its way too do what it takes not just for the fans but for the Drivers too....If you do it right here as a driver you can sell Lots of Ts........Or as most of the people I know say Erb got ripped and owes pay back.. But still makes it 1 He!! of a race this year......

Pennsboro23
07-28-2015, 11:25 AM

Owens will be at Cedar Lake.

bigq11
07-28-2015, 11:37 AM
How can we be sure the 2015 "race of the year" has already been run when we are barely half way through this season?

plunks7
07-28-2015, 12:24 PM
Owens will be at Cedar Lake.

And so will EPJ. He will be driving Larry Mohring's car like at Fals. Lucas doesn't race this week.

slydejob18
07-28-2015, 12:28 PM
Pennsboro23 -- I agree with your list of Crown Jewels and your list of "near" crown jewels.

I would say Fairbury has a chance to be one. Remember, it's been run for many years prior to the changes 3 years ago. But, those changes have propelled it into the conversation quickly. However, my opinion is that a race must have a longer "history" on its side to be tagged a Crown Jewel. The PDC is on its way. I think The World, Dream, DTWC, Show-Me, North/South, USA Nats, Knoxville, and Topless are clearly in that category. As someone else said, the term gets thrown around too much.

A thought about the purses -- I think it's great to see more events paying better! Let's be thankful the sport is healthy enough to support it. The costs are certainly higher than ever. However, the size of the purse is a small part of the Crown Jewel equation. Personally, there's nothing for me like the buzz at The World 100.

Go 18!!

cgrace
07-28-2015, 12:29 PM
USA & knoxville are crown jewels IMO. pdc should be too based on history of event and now that purse is higher IMO i-80 is too for nebraska.

plunks7
07-28-2015, 12:59 PM
USA & knoxville are crown jewels IMO. pdc should be too based on history of event and now that purse is higher IMO i-80 is too for nebraska.

I agree cgrace. I didn't want this to be a argument. I was looking for more of a debate than anything. My bad people!!! It would be nice from all of us on here to find out what is truly the crown jewel races. Or how they or who decides what is. Curiosity minds would like to know. Is there such a voice as to who could explain why or why not? Or is this voice ours and made to believe it comes from a higher pedestal? I really wish I knew!!! But I see everybody's point on here. This is great information and everybody's feedback is outstanding. Thanks 4mers!!!!!

kidrock
07-28-2015, 05:32 PM
Just what is a crown jewel? what criteria does a race have to meet to be considered a crown jewel.

71Cougar
07-28-2015, 09:29 PM
I don't want the PDC to be a crown jewel...keep it just as it is as it will get too big and people will be complaining like they do about Eldora. Too many drunk people, too much trash, too much noise, too many thefts, etc.... I prefer to keep it w/ just CIRF complaining about FALS and everybody else loving it.

kidrock
07-28-2015, 09:46 PM
Agreed...going even further back, FALS PDC has been named race of the year 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015?? If so, that would be 4 out of 5 years. Find me another track which has the race of the year 4 out of 5 years. I liked the assessment someone said earlier...FALS is like Dirt Tracks version of Field of Dreams. Maybe they should move the "Dream 100" race to FALS

I just don't see fans and drivers going for that. Nothing can replace Earl's place and that race. Taking nothing away from Fals and the PDC it can stand on its own to feet.

poolcuemaster
07-28-2015, 10:36 PM
Just what is a crown jewel? what criteria does a race have to meet to be considered a crown jewel.

To be a crown jewel I think it needs to be 26 k or maybe 30 k and be at a track that is racey, and must for sure have the best of the best cars and drivers. Not just 20 cars with half of them local but the best Lucas and WOo and Hell Tour cars, and 40 to 50 cars. I like the heat race no qualifying the best and 75 to 100 laps--Leonard

#FALSuperman
07-28-2015, 11:05 PM
I just don't see fans and drivers going for that. Nothing can replace Earl's place and that race. Taking nothing away from Fals and the PDC it can stand on its own to feet.It was tongue in cheek (Track of Dreams; Dream)...I just couldn't get the emoji's to work on my Chromebook, lol. In reality, the PDC is the only CJ Fairbury needs. :)

kidrock
07-29-2015, 06:10 AM
It was tongue in cheek (Track of Dreams; Dream)...I just couldn't get the emoji's to work on my Chromebook, lol. In reality, the PDC is the only CJ Fairbury needs. :)

Well that explains it, those darn emoji's lol

Josh Bayko
07-29-2015, 08:10 AM

I think you'd have to ask the drivers what races are Crown Jewels. They'd be the ones that would want the proverbial jewels for their crowns.