PDA

View Full Version : NORTH/SOUTH 100 what to expect

#FALSuperman
07-28-2015, 09:58 AM
I've never been to this race and plan on going this year. I was curious how many have been to this race in Kentucky and what to expect as far as how the track runs, facilities, when to get there, etc...Thanks

TTS_JF
07-28-2015, 10:21 AM
Big crowd, get there early. If you plan to leave Saturday after the race your going to be in traffic for awhile. Friday night backstretch party is usually very good. The show usually runs very quickly no waiting around for this or that to happen.

#FALSuperman
07-28-2015, 10:31 AM
Awesome...Thanks TTS. How about the track? I am hoping the track will allow for the racing to be competitive.

GEAR_HEAD
07-28-2015, 11:36 AM
With the new format it's one of the best races of the year. They've made improvements to the track and the track prep that have made a world of difference. This race has one of the best atmospheres in racing next to Eldora.

Catfish N Rice 11
07-28-2015, 12:04 PM
I have been going to the North/South 100 since i was a kid and ive lived north and south of the track. Some ideas and thoughts:1. The racing is usually good, you can expect a decent crowd of cars (both on and off the track)2. The track has 1 road going to the backstretch, but the front has 4 exit points (turn 4, two on the front stretch and one in turn one)3. If you plan on leaving, do it early or later if possible. But if you decide to leave immediately following the race, expect to sit in traffic for a second in the parking lot. Once you get on the road, i reccomend turning left and going twoards verona (everyone usually turns right for the MOST part)4. Theres good food from Warsaw (south on 42) all the way to florence that is relatively close, and a bar about 1000 yards from the track called boondocks.5. The friday night party is a blast, come hang out, ride the simulator, drink some beer, meet some drivers and have a good time.5.

#FALSuperman
07-28-2015, 02:24 PM
Wow, that was some great info! I appreciate it...if I had any doubts about which to choose (Eldora/Florence), I think I am now definitely going to this race. I've been to plenty enough World 100's. It's time for a change.

Hoosier_Dirt
07-28-2015, 04:36 PM
You wont be disappointed. usually a great show!

mll8pt
07-28-2015, 04:47 PM
Wow, that was some great info! I appreciate it...if I had any doubts about which to choose (Eldora/Florence), I think I am now definitely going to this race. I've been to plenty enough World 100's. It's time for a change.

don't miss ELDORA but got to both. they both run everything in one day. north south is a great time only one Eldora though.

In The Gas
07-28-2015, 06:42 PM
don't miss ELDORA but got to both. they both run everything in one day. north south is a great time only one Eldora though.

Totally agree! I wouldn't pass up the World for the North/South.

rc24
07-29-2015, 09:24 AM
uhm with the format change i enjoyed the North/South More than i did the World last year. Yes Bloomer did put on a great show last year. I just think you can see better at the north south also. TThose haulers on the infield are a pain to see around sometimes depending on where you sit.

Links
07-29-2015, 09:49 AM
One thing to keep in mind this year. The 42 yard sale deal is going on that weekend so traffic to and from the track to Florence will be wild the closer you get to the track. As far as the World vs NS100 deal goes...hit them both but I like Florence a little more myself. The new format with passing points is outstanding at the NS. You won't be disappointed with either though.

#FALSuperman
07-29-2015, 10:02 AM
Thanks everyone...really good info on here. Basically, I've used up most my time off for the year and need to choose between the two. I am leaning towards the North/South not because I don't like Eldora (been many times), but more so because I have never been to North/South. I would like to see other venues is all. Reading everyone's comments on here makes me pretty excited about the North/South race!

Rollover
07-29-2015, 12:24 PM
the party is better at eldora but the racing is better at florence

flagone
07-29-2015, 02:34 PM
AND PLEASE make sure you visit the National Dirt Late Model Hall of Fame and attend the induction ceremony on Saturday at 4 PM on the infield stage.

Links
07-29-2015, 04:00 PM
I'm not so sure about the party being better at Eldora anymore lol. Also you have till the 31st to get discount tickets for the NS100. Reserved seats are the way to go if you can.

MILLER7FAN
07-29-2015, 05:26 PM
I'm not so sure about the party being better at Eldora anymore lol. Also you have till the 31st to get discount tickets for the NS100. Reserved seats are the way to go if you can. I am about to order mine, been to 6 of em always a good race, and an easy drive. My ? is how good of a seats (2) is available at this time. The fine print says that your first selection is not a guarantee and they will try to get you as close to your selection as possible. That sounds like a shot in the dark being last minute. Called today and got machine at both #s, left message. Any more info would be appreciated. Thanks.

LMPunk
07-29-2015, 05:43 PM
Called today and got machine at both #s, left message. Any more info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Same thing happened to me. I called a couple times back in February a week or so after they went on sale, never got an answer or a call back after I left a message. Anyone know when a good time to call would be? If all else fails I'll just try to get there super early and grab one of the open seats (pretty sure there is a section or two that are open from what I remember looking at the seating chart).

bigq11
07-29-2015, 08:08 PM
The only open seating is the bottom 10 rows on the backstretch.

LMPunk
07-29-2015, 08:34 PM
The only open seating is the bottom 10 rows on the backstretch.

How's the view from there?

Bill31
07-30-2015, 09:29 AM
How's the view from there? )

Theres nothing on the infield (unless you count too many fans there). No obstucted view. The lighting at the track is by far the best in the country IMO. I've only seen a few bad races there in 18-20 years of the big races I have been too, IE-N/S,Ironman,Lathem Mem,Spring 50,Fall 50. I have some N/S videos that I bought if that is any indication of how good the racing can be.

Last year was the first N/S I missed in 18 years , looks as if I'll probably miss this one as well (not by choice).

I would recommend that if you stay for the entire race, don't even try to get out of the parking lot , unless your in the front lot. We have waited as long as over an hr and close to two hours getting out if your parked in the field next to the track. Go walk thru the pits after the race and let the parking take care of itself while your walking around.

If you don't get a reserved seat, maybe have someone save you a seat as the unreserved get caution taped and blanketed early (did in the past).

If you sit on the back stretch bleachers, the track is so close to the stands that it literal looks like the cars are gonna drive right under you (IMO lol). Just got to deal with the sun in your eyes until it goes down.

bradc
07-30-2015, 10:13 AM
The party at florence is much better than eldora these days, i like the racing better as well. Ive made the north south my go to for the year instead of the world. already got the camper out ready to head north.

00Hdmn
07-30-2015, 10:20 AM
I have only been too the North/South one time and it was a great experience. The people around that area were so friendly and the track was easy to access with Cincinnati being really close and a ton of things to do during the day. The race itself was great, I went the year Darren Miller held off Bloomquist at the line for the win and Shannon Babbs car caught fire on the last lap. I have never seen a track get that black and be that great of a race. If you have never been there I would suggest going.

bigq11
07-30-2015, 12:33 PM
Their beloved "BLACK ICE" seems to be a thing of the past. The racing now is just as good if not better.

Bob Hubbard
07-30-2015, 01:17 PM
Ive made it the last 3-4 years .... Most the nite was 3 wide racing ... Right before the A main they stop & re work the track ! They take alot of time re working it .... More than it seems like they should ... So after wards it seems like a Top groove ....Maybe its the harder tires for the 100 laps .... Maybe some one else could comment too ....

#FALSuperman
07-30-2015, 01:36 PM
You guys have all been full of great information!I can't promise you guys, but I may try this periscope thing out and try to broadcast some of the North/South racing/ activities at the track if anyone would be interested.

Clayton_Wetter
07-30-2015, 06:17 PM
How's the view from there?

I would say fairly good, but you will be facing the Sun until it gets low.

LMPunk
07-30-2015, 07:38 PM
I would say fairly good, but you will be facing the Sun until it gets low.

Thanks, fellas. I'll give'em another try with a call tomorrow before the deadline for reserved seats even though I haven't had any luck yet. Hotel's already booked so I'll stand there if need be haha.

zyoung25
07-31-2015, 02:46 AM
i reccomend turning left and going twoards verona (everyone usually turns right for the MOST part)4. Theres good food from Warsaw (south on 42) all the way to florence.

I found this route to be quite useful a couple years ago. I think it was the year Nick Lyons tried to turn left leaving the track and got his hauler stuck in the ditch. I didn't have a phone with GPS at the time. So I went left and turned at the first road that went left after that and it brought me back 75 with some food joints. The road would be awesome on a bike, not so fun in a car haha.

TALON75
07-31-2015, 03:05 AM
It's even worse in a hauler!!!lol Our first trip there we took that road(the 14, I believe), quite exciting!.

*Bandit*
07-31-2015, 06:04 AM
There is also FREE camping on the campground property, and a state park not far from there BUT with the new format of no qualifying (yes I hate qualifying) and the double heats, passing points method you get so much more racing for your money and it's racing I promise you (at least it has been the last several years) ...this is one race I wouldn't miss for anything each year now with the new format!

buster83
07-31-2015, 06:07 AM
you can probably expect the #6 to take the checkered flag

zyoung25
07-31-2015, 07:31 AM
It's even worse in a hauler!!!lol Our first trip there we took that road(the 14, I believe), quite exciting!.

I think you are right on the route number. Man that was mistake....I couldn't imagine bringing a rig down that road. So much for the shortest distance huh? Lol

buster83
07-31-2015, 08:08 AM
I found this route to be quite useful a couple years ago. I think it was the year Nick Lyons tried to turn left leaving the track and got his hauler stuck in the ditch. I didn't have a phone with GPS at the time. So I went left and turned at the first road that went left after that and it brought me back 75 with some food joints. The road would be awesome on a bike, not so fun in a car haha. yes either way but after hour and 10 minutes wait to even get to 42.

zyoung25
07-31-2015, 08:53 AM
yes either way but after hour and 10 minutes wait to even get to 42.

I'm talking about going out left out of race track, not even heading towards Florence city direction, I'm guessing you are talking about heading back to Richwood? That maybe what Talon is talking about. I don't know any routes, I just know how to get there and home haha. Either one of those ways are goat paths, and are not meant for semis at all.

dirtMAN007
07-31-2015, 09:08 AM
I don't know how you can say it is always a good race ? People have come on 4m year after year after the n/s complaining about the track conditions and no passing etc............... We'll see the sunday after i guess !!!!!!!!

25 Jay 53
07-31-2015, 09:17 AM
I am looking forward to it also, this will be my first time going to Florence. Just hoping for good weather and great racing. As you guys were talking about earlier, I went to Eldora so many times that we haven't been back since 09, we have tried other races like World Finals, Silver Dollar Nat's, and now Florence. I enjoy seeing the different tracks and what they have to offer. Sometimes you get stuck in a groove and never quit and you are missing out on other great places as well.

LMPunk
07-31-2015, 10:21 AM
Hell yeah, finally got through to the ticket office this morning and got some good looking seats up in Section J. Better late than never on that discounted price. Gonna be a long six days of work before I head north next Friday morning.

bradc
07-31-2015, 10:44 AM
I always set in the general admission seats on the back stretch. I like the view better down close. nothing at florence to hinder your view down low

GEAR_HEAD
07-31-2015, 11:01 AM
I don't know how you can say it is always a good race ? People have come on 4m year after year after the n/s complaining about the track conditions and no passing etc............... We'll see the sunday after i guess !!!!!!!!

Nobody said that last year.

dirtMAN007
07-31-2015, 01:37 PM
There also has been a lot of rain this year so hopefully it will be a good show !!!!!!

zyoung25
07-31-2015, 03:49 PM

I can remember one bad race in about the last 8 or 10 years since I've been going. The year Shaver won wasn't the greatest race, but it was ok. 2012 was a bad race. Instead of reading stuff here, it's better to see them in person.

Dirtman
07-31-2015, 04:20 PM
looking forward to our first trip!!

buster83
07-31-2015, 08:42 PM
I'm talking about going out left out of race track, not even heading towards Florence city direction, I'm guessing you are talking about heading back to Richwood? That maybe what Talon is talking about. I don't know any routes, I just know how to get there and home haha. Either one of those ways are goat paths, and are not meant for semis at all. hey know i was saying one hour ten minutes waiting to get out onto route 42 either head to Warsaw or Florence, it1s all good just the wait,yeah semi u better stay on the state roads.

TS FAN
08-01-2015, 01:20 PM
great racing=Florence speedway. Even if the leader gets out there, the racing through the pack is great. The Latham was a very entertaining race from second on back. JD had them covered, but none the less it was a worthwhile experience. The only train race in my many years of going there was the 2006 race. None before and none since at the big events. Taking the Richmond Exit off 75 eliminates the RT 42 experience of getting to the track. try to map it out and save the eight miles of grief on 42.

Clayton_Wetter
08-01-2015, 02:07 PM
great racing=Florence speedway. Even if the leader gets out there, the racing through the pack is great. The Latham was a very entertaining race from second on back. JD had them covered, but none the less it was a worthwhile experience. The only train race in my many years of going there was the 2006 race. None before and none since at the big events. Taking the Richmond Exit off 75 eliminates the RT 42 experience of getting to the track. try to map it out and save the eight miles of grief on 42.

Oh these loyal local salesmen!!! Ya gotta love it! Or scratch your head. lol

deez lug nuts
08-01-2015, 02:40 PM
Easy way over to the track from 75 is to take exit 171 Walton exit turn on 1292 right beside exit ramps across from Flying J. 1292 takes you right over to 127/42 right up from the track. Map look it and you'll see. :cool:

rc24
08-01-2015, 03:34 PM
Is the yard sale going this year on the same date?

TS FAN
08-01-2015, 03:46 PM
I think the yard sale is the second SAT of Aug, just like the N/S. So probably

TS FAN
08-01-2015, 03:48 PM
Oh these loyal local salesmen!!! Ya gotta love it! Or scratch your head. lol

Yes, and you attend as many races there as I do. Hummm

chupp n bloomer fan
08-01-2015, 04:42 PM
Haven't been to the N/S, but every other race at Florence a few times. Florence grows on you, and the racing is good. Even though I like tacky better, Flo has some good racing. And after the first trip or second trip there, do not get off at 42. I think it is Route 338, Erlanger/Verona, there's a Skyline there. Head West.

Now would I choose Florence over the World 100, nope. And I don't go for the party, I could care less about a party. And I'm not knocking Florence, I like Florence, but there's only one World 100. And there both right at two hrs from the house. Though for anyone's info, there is a City BBQ in Florence on 42 I believe.;)

TALON75
08-01-2015, 05:47 PM
City BBQ is on the 18 near mall road.

#FALSuperman
08-01-2015, 06:18 PM
Haven't been to the N/S, but every other race at Florence a few times. Florence grows on you, and the racing is good. Even though I like tacky better, Flo has some good racing. And after the first trip or second trip there, do not get off at 42. I think it is Route 338, Erlanger/Verona, there's a Skyline there. Head West.Now would I choose Florence over the World 100, nope. And I don't go for the party, I could care less about a party. And I'm not knocking Florence, I like Florence, but there's only one World 100. And there both right at two hrs from the house. Though for anyone's info, there is a City BBQ in Florence on 42 I believe.;)I think the people who chose Florence over Eldora was a comparison of Races, not tracks. The overall experience between N/S and World. :D

chupp n bloomer fan
08-01-2015, 07:01 PM
I think the people who chose Florence over Eldora was a comparison of Races, not tracks. The overall experience between N/S and World. :DOk, well, to me, just my opinion, I'm going to The World 100.

Clayton_Wetter
08-03-2015, 02:39 PM
Yes, and you attend as many races there as I do. Hummm

Have a good weekend TS and may the racing be good. I can't make this one.