PDA

View Full Version : Birdcage

Race03
08-04-2015, 03:44 PM
Noticed my PPM birdcage on the left rear was not installed correctly. The shock mounts were installed on the inside of the cage toward the center of the rear and in the right location according to the set up sheets. Noticed the bars where they attach to the birdcages were angled to the outside of the rear toward the left rear tire two inches. Didn't make sence because the right sides were lined up almost straight. Then figured out the shock mounts should of been on the inside of the cage and the cage moved over two inches which put the bars inline like the right and kept the shock mounts in the correct location. What if any handling issues would this cause. Been like this for a while. Live and learn.

TheJet-09
08-04-2015, 04:01 PM
If the lower shock mount is still in the same position relative to everything else, then no change should be felt from that. As for the link angles towards the front (toe in/out), if the LH links were angled out they should have limited the amount the LR wheel came forward during chassis hike/roll due to the rear end moving to the left under the chassis (and their actually pushing back due to "straightening up" during hike/roll). Poor explanation...I apologize. In a nutshell, you'll technically have more roll-steer now. Wrong, right or indifferent, my LH links run straight forward, my RH lower link is straight and my RH upper link angles in towards the front of the car.

Matt49
08-04-2015, 04:28 PM
I'm going to disagree and say LESS roll-steer if you start them straight. If they were at an angle (as viewed from above) and moved 6" to the left at full drop, they would have a shorter effective length than if they had started straight and moved the same 6" to the left.
But don't take my word for it, get out the plumb bob, tape a sheet of paper to the shop floor and get to measuring.

25drtrkr
08-04-2015, 07:26 PM
I agree with Matt and less roll steer, but also less indexing, which should take out drive. Its not uncommon to change the angles to cure a certain handling condition.

TheJet-09
08-05-2015, 03:09 AM
My mistake. I misread the original post and thought the bars toed out towards the chassis, but after re-reading it what he described was toe in, so yes, I agree with Matt49 & 25drtrkr. I was confused, however, by his saying the shock mount was on the inside of the cage, then saying he figured out the shock should have been on the inside...? Maybe he means the entire shock/drop bracket (whatever you would call it) was bolted to the inner portion of the cage (actual body/sleeve) but should have been bolted to the outer end?