PDA

View Full Version : how to stop people from jumping starts

falsfanb12
08-07-2015, 02:42 PM
I watch a lot of DoD and go to a lot of races. There are way to many drivers jumping starts then get penalized. Sometimes poll just doesn't fire and everyone brake checks and hes gone, sometimes row 2 or 3 will be even with poll at flag stand. Here's a thought I came up with after the 5th start of a crate race. Why can't the tracks put a green light where drivers can see it. So when the flag man flips the switch to green its on. This would stop turn 3 starts and drivers trying to blast to front on the start from row 3. Just a thought what does everyone else think?

MEE
08-07-2015, 02:53 PM
THIS BRINGS BACK SOME VERY OLD MEMORYS. A long time ago there was a track in east ky. that got tired of trying to start them one night that they lined um up at flag stand ,and started them from dead start. That was different.

racenut
08-07-2015, 03:01 PM
That is how central IL flagman Swede Gaiellert did it for years....actually in the 50's he would start races by standing in the middle of the track, all drivers lined up, jump up in the air waving the green flag, (standing start) they would all drive around him and the race was on. Eventually he moved onto modern times with the flying starts, BUT if the drivers could not get it right after the second time, he would stop them, with red flag in the air and walk off towards the flagman's stand and THEN jump up and throw the green.....did not happen very often, did not have to happen very often.... :)

Okfine
08-07-2015, 03:21 PM
THIS BRINGS BACK SOME VERY OLD MEMORYS. A long time ago there was a track in east ky. that got tired of trying to start them one night that they lined um up at flag stand ,and started them from dead start. That was different.

That would actually be pretty cool to see........

25drtrkr
08-07-2015, 03:36 PM
I like the old chalk line coming out of 4. With that line, you can really tell who fires too early.

skids
08-07-2015, 03:37 PM
I watch a lot of DoD and go to a lot of races. There are way to many drivers jumping starts then get penalized. Sometimes poll just doesn't fire and everyone brake checks and hes gone, sometimes row 2 or 3 will be even with poll at flag stand. Here's a thought I came up with after the 5th start of a crate race. Why can't the tracks put a green light where drivers can see it. So when the flag man flips the switch to green its on. This would stop turn 3 starts and drivers trying to blast to front on the start from row 3. Just a thought what does everyone else think?

All you need is a flagman with the authority and the guts to call back the race and put the "jumper" to the tail. It wouldn't happen very often once it is established that it WILL be enforced.

The problem is there are too many flagmen and/or other officials in charge that would rather be butt kissers to the drivers instead of enforcing the rules.

Clayton_Wetter
08-07-2015, 03:39 PM
Maybe they need a hillbilly to stand in the fourth turn with a shotgun aimed at the front row???http://i.imgur.com/QZd4r.gif

Clayton_Wetter
08-07-2015, 03:41 PM
I like the old chalk line coming out of 4. With that line, you can really tell who fires too early.

I always liked the old orange cone on the track deal. Especially when they put the cone about five feet from the outside wall.

CIRF
08-07-2015, 04:40 PM
Back in the late 1960's Peoria Speedway started them THREE WIDE from a standing start. Not sure when they did away with that policy but it made for some very interesting door to door action through turns 1 & 2.

That 4 wide salute deal they do now would be a great way to start a dirt late model race. I wish they'd start them that way sometime.

Baddboy1
08-07-2015, 04:52 PM
Back in the late 1960's Peoria Speedway started them THREE WIDE from a standing start. Not sure when they did away with that policy but it made for some very interesting door to door action through turns 1 & 2.

That 4 wide salute deal they do now would be a great way to start a dirt late model race. I wish they'd start them that way sometime.

That was D!ck Wilson as the flagman. They stopped doing it in the early to mid 70's. it was something to see.

CIRF
08-07-2015, 05:16 PM
That was D!ck Wilson as the flagman. They stopped doing it in the early to mid 70's. it was something to see.

Wasn't Lloyd Caldwell the flagman at Peoria for quite a while?

And yes Baddboy, it was truly a sight, especially come feature time when there were 20 some cars lined up 3 abreast getting into 1 & 2.

IZZOJR16
08-07-2015, 11:11 PM
I watch a lot of DoD and go to a lot of races. There are way to many drivers jumping starts then get penalized. Sometimes poll just doesn't fire and everyone brake checks and hes gone, sometimes row 2 or 3 will be even with poll at flag stand. Here's a thought I came up with after the 5th start of a crate race. Why can't the tracks put a green light where drivers can see it. So when the flag man flips the switch to green its on. This would stop turn 3 starts and drivers trying to blast to front on the start from row 3. Just a thought what does everyone else think? noticed that as well watching DOD. a lot of drivers penalized when the polesitter doesn't go, in all types of series. I like your idea!!

deez lug nuts
08-08-2015, 08:36 AM
Place an orange cone on the track and on the outside wall/fence. Place both of those orange cones 100' from the flagstand towards turn 4 to establish "the starting zone" that is between those orange cones and the flagstand.
Place the on track orange cone far enough from the outside wall for 2 wide passage with a little extra space.
Cars move slowly 2 wide side by side and don't get on the gas WFO until the green flag flies and the green flag could fly when the front row is anywhere inside "the starting zone."

ddracing
08-08-2015, 08:49 AM
Ya Racenut, if I recall, he also had some broken legs out of that deal.

pierceFAN
08-08-2015, 09:44 AM
i think at kankakee years ago they could flip the green light on when the cars were on the backstretch...you had to be ready

Bubstr
08-08-2015, 01:07 PM
Getting a good start is just part of the game. Jumping the start is just part of it. Sometimes you get away with it, sometimes, you don't. Sometimes, someone else does it better.

Baddboy1
08-08-2015, 05:59 PM
Wasn't Lloyd Caldwell the flagman at Peoria for quite a while?

And yes Baddboy, it was truly a sight, especially come feature time when there were 20 some cars lined up 3 abreast getting into 1 & 2.

Lloyd was just before I remember the racing at Peoria. Forgot him my bad.

427c.i.
08-10-2015, 10:29 AM
I don't know about a Lloyd Caldwell at Peoria but Lloyd Ewing was a long time flagman at Peoria. Pretty sure he was there during the transition from standing starts to rolling starts. Lloyd flagged from the track for a long period of time before moving into a flagman's stand.
Kind of OT but my Dad tells this story of Lloyd with the layover flag: He'd show it to you and if you weren't out of the way on the next lap, he'd point it at you. If you were still in the way the next time by, he'd come out on the track and stick it in the driver's side window...SEE IT NOW??
Dad also says he spent a lot of time holding Lloyds glasses after the races as well...

427c.i.
08-10-2015, 10:35 AM
http://randylewis.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/72-Lloyd-Caldwell-Render-Special.jpg

Lloyd Caldwell and Lloyd Ewing @ Peoria Speedway.

Is that coiled rope being used as roll bar padding?

CIRF
08-10-2015, 11:24 AM
I don't know about a Lloyd Caldwell at Peoria but Lloyd Ewing was a long time flagman at Peoria. Pretty sure he was there during the transition from standing starts to rolling starts. Lloyd flagged from the track for a long period of time before moving into a flagman's stand.
Kind of OT but my Dad tells this story of Lloyd with the layover flag: He'd show it to you and if you weren't out of the way on the next lap, he'd point it at you. If you were still in the way the next time by, he'd come out on the track and stick it in the driver's side window...SEE IT NOW??
Dad also says he spent a lot of time holding Lloyds glasses after the races as well...I stand humbly corrected 427, it was Lloyd Ewing I was thinking of. I sometimes get the "Lloyd's" mixed up. Thank you kindly for setting me straight.

The flying starts may be the "modern" way due mainly to the drive-line equipment used today but I will always believe those 3 wide standing starts at Peoria were as exciting as a start to a race could be.

427c.i.
08-10-2015, 12:19 PM
Lloyd was quite a character, seems that a lot of the racers were more "colorful" back in the day...

Back on topic, not only does the start jumping need to go but also the pole position car running the car on the outside way up the track on starts. Put the game back in the flagman's hands and penalize them for this stuff.

jog49
08-10-2015, 12:35 PM
The chalk line out of turn 4 doesn't necessarily work as I watched it not work this past Saturday night. I like the suggestion, since there are now rolling starts, that a prominent green light be mounted between turn 4 and the flag stand and controlled by someone in scoring (so the flagman can watch the cars). If you fire before the green, you go to the back (with no exceptions). Drivers are quick learners, by the way. Starts after the first one are controlled by the leader and can start at the entrance to turn 3 or thereafter.

racenut
08-10-2015, 03:53 PM
ddracing....there is a reason I remember Swede and his starts.....one night in 1974 I showed him a picture of my Dad's car....he said he got a REAL close look at the front of that car one night at the old Lincoln Speedway, broken leg and more, I don't remember what all got broke but he somewhere soon thereafter changed the way he started races...lol