PDA

View Full Version : rear main seal issue, cannot get it to stop leaking. HELP

BLAHBLAH
08-08-2015, 03:45 PM
chevy bowtie 10051184 steel block, callies 3.625 crank. dry sump motor. i have a leak at the rear main seal,throwing oil out towards the starter side and onto pan and scavenge lines. it doesn't leak at idle or even 2500 rpms its dry no drips at all. only seams to leak while in race conditions. any ideas on how to fix it? i will be removing the engine again today, last week i put another rear main seal in thinking maybe the one installed when engine was built was defective. the engine is only 2 months old and ran three times sense new. getting sick of wasting my time cleaning oil off everything instead of focusing on car and setup.

rakracing
08-09-2015, 10:13 AM
have had what I thought was a rear main leak, but was leaking out at the plugs above the cam, what stage drysump and are you running breathers on the valve covers

LateModel B23
08-09-2015, 01:19 PM
Does that block have the rear seal adapter for the 2 piece seal?

perfconn
08-09-2015, 03:05 PM
Probably not the rear main seal.Check the plug for the valley scavenge.Some of the 1184 blocks use an AN o-ring type plug and some use a pipe plug.They are not interchangeable and the wrong one will leak down the back of the block and you will think its a rear main seal leak.

andy29
08-10-2015, 10:28 AM
had a similar issue only to find out the machine shop did not install the plug (looks like a freeze plug) in the back of our callies crank , they have it special sized so a standard one from an auto parts tore will not work. installed the plug and have no more leak.

BLAHBLAH
08-12-2015, 01:10 PM
thanks for the replies. here is a follow up on what i have checked and done and more info on block and crank
answer to rakracing..i checked the plugs at the back of block and all is clean there. i am using a 4 stage pump. 1 offenhauser style breather on lt side valve cover. also a breather on drysump tank.

answer to b23. yes i have the aluminum adapter on my block to use the 2 piece rear main with 2 piece style crank.

answer to perfconn. checked plugs and no trace of oil leaking.

answer to andy29. i thought that also because i had the exact same thing happen to a 358 motor using a crower crank. engine builder never put plug in back of crank. what a mess that made!! easy fix though i was able to get a correct plug along with some black rtv sealed it up.

thanks for the replies ill keep you posted on what i find.

BLAHBLAH
09-01-2015, 01:56 PM
fixed!!!! thanks for the replies on this issue. the leak was coming from the area where the intake.head and block meet up. basically in each corner of the block. oil wouldn't seep out until the car was in body roll. thanks again hope this helps someone.