PDA

View Full Version : Left Rear Front Shock, Yes or No???

Cranky
08-08-2015, 07:17 PM
So what is the opinion on LRF shock? Is everyone running them? Are people going away from them and just running a chain limiter? Pros and cons of each and in what scenarios are one or the other best to run?

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-08-2015, 08:10 PM
So what is the opinion on LRF shock? Is everyone running them? Are people going away from them and just running a chain limiter? Pros and cons of each and in what scenarios are one or the other best to run?

No matter how many shocks you have, a chain limiter is need because shocks are not meant to be limiters.

Number of shocks is preference. If you are good at keeping car on bars, front shock not needed

Matt49
08-08-2015, 08:47 PM
Agreeing with MB that your shock(s) should never be a travel limiter.
1) Bad on the shocks
2) Travel limit changes with bar changes if you use anything mounted to the birdcage like a shock
Use a chain to the axle tube...that's the best way.
MB is also right in that a shock in front is not needed if the driver can keep the car on the bars. That being said, Bloomquist, Owens, and many other top drivers use a shock in front of LR...so go figure.

Drop Shock
08-11-2015, 04:18 AM
Davenport says no

fastford
08-11-2015, 08:22 AM
since getting on the soft rt front set up, we have not needed it.

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-11-2015, 08:31 AM
Davenport says no

Not when you have the "Rumley device"

7uptruckracer
08-11-2015, 09:13 AM
Saw pics of it.....Pretty interesting.....

fastford
08-11-2015, 10:29 AM
where can you see these pics ?

7uptruckracer
08-11-2015, 11:37 AM
Saw it on a track photographer page yesterday but they have since been removed.......I'll see if i can hunt it down. I know of someone who is trying to duplicate the birdcage assembly right now but there are rumors of it being banned

PushinTheLimit
08-11-2015, 12:28 PM
I seen a couple of pics on facebook of his left rear... but I didn't see much in that picture. Must've been a better one than that one.

fastford
08-11-2015, 12:34 PM
I found those pics as well. all I could see is what looked like a shock of some kind coming down to what looked like the center of the axle on left side instead of in front of axle.

PushinTheLimit
08-11-2015, 12:55 PM
Yep, I did notice that as well.

7uptruckracer
08-11-2015, 01:24 PM
I saw Gene's and a friend that was there had a pic he sent to my phone but I didn't save it .

Dirtmod13
08-11-2015, 02:39 PM
Someone got a pic of it at cedar lake nationals. Seemed like the pic was too good for it to be a bystander though. Maybe he put some fake parts on there then took a pic to have circulated around to screw with everyone.

Matt49
08-11-2015, 03:03 PM
I haven't seen any pictures. I believe they have some sort of cantilever system that is applying load to the LR axle tube (via the coilover that everyone is seeing) as the car rolls to the right. So as the car rolls, instead of the RR spring taking all the weight, some of it is getting redistributed to the LR.

redfred
08-11-2015, 07:07 PM
If you are running an undersling car, do you still need the Limiter Chain?

Kwoods25
08-11-2015, 07:48 PM
I don't run one. I have one and have run it twice don't really like it. I don't run a limiter either just run a cushion on the underslung bar. Works fine for me

billetbirdcage
08-11-2015, 08:21 PM
If you are running an undersling car, do you still need the Limiter Chain?

Basically the same thing, just different way to stop the rear-end. Just easier to adjust the chain then changing the under-sling as a stop unless your using an adjustable devise on the under-sling.

Windy
08-21-2015, 12:13 AM
running the shock to the axle tube is like running the shock on a clamp bracket..some like it some dont(the clamp brkt)..i like the chain limiter and the shock on a clamp bracket(with a lot of gas pressure it seems more effective than on the birdcage/also adds more l.r. drop if you need it ) with minimal traction..im sure some will dissagree..jmo..windy..~V~..