PDA

View Full Version : Soft LF Spring?

Kromulous
08-11-2015, 03:36 PM
Question came to me watching Davenport's car, it looks like he is running a sway bar in the front. The attitude of his car is different than most, the entire front nose is down and presses down more the faster the car is moving, not only on the RF as some are.

Also when he picks up the throttle, the LF doesn't come up, nor does the LF come up during body roll thru / and in the center of the corner. The car looks like it has a sway bar on the front, and it keeps the front level and smashed against the track. Watching videos the LF valance is never really much higher than the RF, it is, but it doesnt lift up coming off the corner.

So, whats the softer LF spring get you? less cross weight change when off the gas on entry, loosen entry, and middle, with the soft RF i would think this is a good thing?

Thanks for any conversation about this.

Krom.

billetbirdcage
08-11-2015, 03:42 PM
Question came to me watching Davenport's car, it looks like he is running a sway bar in the front. The attitude of his car is different than most, the entire front nose is down and presses down more the faster the car is moving, not only on the RF as some are.

Also when he picks up the throttle, the LF doesn't come up, nor does the LF come up during body roll thru / and in the center of the corner. The car looks like it has a sway bar on the front, and it keeps the front level and smashed against the track. Watching videos the LF valance is never really much higher than the RF, it is, but it doesnt lift up coming off the corner.

So, whats the softer LF spring get you? less cross weight change when off the gas on entry, loosen entry, and middle, with the soft RF i would think this is a good thing?

Thanks for any conversation about this.

Krom.

LOL, (sway bar) I said the same thing a month ago. I really don't think they are, but that was my first thought

JustAddDirt
08-11-2015, 04:05 PM
the attitude of the car on corner entry would tend to make you think that.
I was standing in turn 1-2 @ North South and the nose of that car is sealed off better than any dirt car I have seen. on straights, and corners.
The LF seems to be tied down pretty hard, and it may have some sort of limiter or a short shock on it. I have noticed a lot of cars that while on the pit lifts with tires on them, the LF tire looks to be very close to ride height.
I have my modified limited on LF dropout, due to increased loading it provides to LR

7uptruckracer
08-12-2015, 06:58 AM
Just a soft LF and alot of rebound

Punisher88
08-12-2015, 08:10 AM
Moyer's new victory cars dig the front end as hard if not harder than davenport in alot of pics I have seen recently.

PushinTheLimit
08-12-2015, 08:11 AM
How soft are we talking about? Like less than 300lb springs or something of that nature?

Kromulous
08-12-2015, 08:38 AM
Along with Justadddirt's post, the front is sealed off, and his spoiler is a good 12" above any other car on the track, vertical height from the ground. The entire car looks like a big wedge going down the straight, alot of downforce created there. Sealing off the front helps keep the inside of the body from pressurizing, and negating the effect of downforce on the outside of the body. I was really looking over his body work, interesting.

I was wondering how high gets the nose so low, and the rear so high, he must have the 5th coil way back to help lift the rear of the car up, and alot of rebound across the front to keep the front down.

Something to try before the end of the year. Soft LF, limit the travel, and get that tail up in the air.

zeroracing
08-12-2015, 10:00 AM
In video from the PDC you can see Davenport is lifting the LF off the ground mid corner, but the wheel is not really dropped much. I noted it right about mid corner on one of the videos.

Also note, in the one on youtube the 15 min video bloomer locks up the LR on corner entry on the slow motion whereas other cars were not.

JustAddDirt
08-12-2015, 12:20 PM
Along with Justadddirt's post, the front is sealed off, and his spoiler is a good 12" above any other car on the track, vertical height from the ground. The entire car looks like a big wedge going down the straight, alot of downforce created there. Sealing off the front helps keep the inside of the body from pressurizing, and negating the effect of downforce on the outside of the body. I was really looking over his body work, interesting.

I was wondering how high gets the nose so low, and the rear so high, he must have the 5th coil way back to help lift the rear of the car up, and alot of rebound across the front to keep the front down.

Something to try before the end of the year. Soft LF, limit the travel, and get that tail up in the air.

If you look at some of the photos from the North/South of the Lr of the car, the rear end it does not gain much pinion angle. I am figuring that he might be pretty far out on lift arm, and the nose tied down heavily.
just a thought, I am by no means an expert on Late Models.