PDA

View Full Version : Very Bad Crash At The Nationals

CIRF
08-14-2015, 09:37 AM
I know this is a dirt late model area but obviously has the most traffic and that's why I'm going off topic a bit. Nonetheless, a young and promising dirt open wheel driver who I would opine many of you are familiar with was pretty badly injured at The Knoxville Sprint Car Nationals last night. Kevin Swindell, son of Sammy Swindell was involved in a heat race crash that was serious enough that Kevin had to be extricated from the car and the emergency personal on the scene deemed his injuries serious enough to necessitate him to be life flighted to a De Moines, Iowa hospital.

The only word we've seen is that he was awake and alert at the time they got him out of the racecar but allegedly he was complaining of a lack of feeling in his legs. Sammy said in a radio interview that Kevin was having trouble feeling his legs. Keep in mind none of this is completely substantiated accept for the fact that Kevin was life flighted to De Moines.

There was a twitter feed from Kevin that read: "@KevinSwindell: Thanks everyone for the love. Long road ahead. Enjoy every minute you got."

This kid has won the Chili Bowl Midget Nationals multiple times in consecutive years and won in an ARCA stock car at The Springfield Mile a year ago and many other races too numerous to mention.

Please keep Kevin in your prayers if you're spiritually inclined and in your thoughts if you're not.

CIRF
08-14-2015, 11:38 AM
It's being reported that Kevin is scheduled for surgery today.

This was posted on Robert Ballou's Facebook page:

Per Amy Swindell's request, please join me in a prayer chain to help lift Kevin Swindell up as he goes in for surgery this morning. Praying God sends His angels to surround Kevin, Amy, Samuel Swindell, Zoe, & Jordan Armstrong at this very difficult and confusing time.

God knows His plan. It is not our place to know what He knows. We can only stay in faith through this and trust Him.

Hang tough Kevin, we all want to see you at The Chili Bowl in January!!

formercrewguy
08-14-2015, 11:41 AM
Sounds like they are going to relieve pressure on his spinal cord.

CIRF
08-14-2015, 12:10 PM
formercrewguy, just curious as to where you got the report you posted. I've looked everywhere I can think of for any status updates and yours is the first we've seen since earlier this morning.

We'll be in the office thru noon hour and will have a chance to look around on the internet for a few minutes.

Thanks.

GotDirt1313
08-14-2015, 12:27 PM
found a video of it I guess from youtue..http://nesn.com/2015/08/sprint-car-racer-kevin-swindell-airlifted-after-terrifying-crash-video/

CIRF
08-14-2015, 01:03 PM
You're more than welcome, blackie.

Thanks GotDirt, for posting the video.

CIRF
08-14-2015, 01:09 PM
Here's an article posted on the PennLive website that goes into some detail.

KNOXVILLE, IOWA: The excitement of the Knoxville Nationals took a backseat early in Thursday's Night 2 of qualifying.

A scary accident took place at the beginning of the first heat race. Kevin Swindell flipped hard into the outside frontstretch wall and came to rest on he speedway. There was a lengthy red-flag period to get him out of the car.

Swindell was placed on a backboard and in the ambulance. According to officials, he was talking to track and safety personnel.

Legendary Sprint Car driver Sammy Swindell was also racing during the program. He, along with Amy Swindell, released a statement late Thursday night.

"Our son, Kevin, was racing tonight at Knoxville Raceway, when he was involved in an accident at the start of his heat race," the release said.

"Kevin was airlifted to Des Moines Mercy Hospital following the accident where he is currently undergoing tests and treatment.

"We want to thank the Knoxville Raceway safety team for their quick response and care. We appreciate the support of the racing community and thank you for your continued prayers. We ask that you please respect our privacy while we focus on his recovery."

The incident occurred when the front of the field got bottled up on the start. Ed Lynch hit the inside berm and shot up the speedway, making contact with Swindell and sending him into a series of flips.

Sammy Swindell, who is driving for CJB Motorsports, had mechanical problems in the 25-lap A-Main.

"CJB Motorsports' entire organization extends our thoughts and prayers to Sammy, Amy and Kevin Swindell," CJB Motorsports said in a release on Facebook.

HoosierDirtFan
08-14-2015, 10:26 PM
Bad crash at Williams Grove Speedway tonight (8/14/2015). Driver #31 Jim Campbell was killed during a multi car wreck Practice.
Rest In Peace and God Speed #31 Jim Campbell and his extended family.

CIRF
08-14-2015, 10:37 PM
Any news on young Swindell?

Haven't seen anything more since this morning.

We see anything we'll pass it along pronto, blackie.

chathamracefan
08-14-2015, 10:46 PM
Sammy posted on Twitter that he has another surgery on Monday and has suffered a significant injury. No further specifics were given

Bubstr
08-14-2015, 11:58 PM
Kevin had surgery this morning and another surgery is scheduled for Monday. This is just speculation, but sounds like a spinal injury. Sammy said he didn't feel his legs while in the car.

CIRF
08-15-2015, 08:09 AM
There is no silver lining to be found in a situation like this but there is so much that can be done and fixed in this day and age and it would appear that there are no life threatening injuries involved. I have a very close friend who has lived for 30 years in Ankeny, IA, which is basically part of Des Moines, IA, and he says that the Des Moines hospital and staff that is in charge of Kevin's case has a history of being second to none.

The injuries Jack Hewitt sustained in 1991 was such that it remained life threatening for literally weeks. Jack came back from that deal and won 4 features in one night at Eldora and qualified and ran 12th in the Indianapolis 500 so it is conceivable that the best of Kevin's career could easily be ahead of him.

Bout all we can do is keep praying and hoping that we'll once again see Kevin winning races again, soon.

CIRF
08-17-2015, 09:06 PM
According to what Sammy & Amy Swindell have posted on social media the Monday AM surgery on Kevin's back was successful.

Here is a link to a posting made by Sammy & Amy Swindell.

http://dirtracingreport.com/statement-from-swindell-family-about-kevin-swindells-progress/

Stay positive, Kevin!!

BadlandsBandit12
08-18-2015, 01:28 AM
Hopefully he gets better quick, I still think Sprint car racing is more dangerous then any other dirt car available. They go so darn fast and they are so light with no fenders. You know bad things can and will happen in those cars!!!

Bubstr
08-21-2015, 05:16 PM
Kevin got released from Mercy Hospital today after eight day's and two surgeries.

Nasty55
08-21-2015, 05:49 PM
Kevin got released from Mercy Hospital today after eight day's and two surgeries.

Whats the prognosis?

Bubstr
08-21-2015, 11:46 PM
Whats the prognosis?

Doctor patient confidentiality. They keep passing the helmets, so I'd guess it will be a while before he's 100%. A good friend had something like this from a midget, although no two are the same. Dr said 6 weeks, 6 months or a lifetime. Flesh and bone 6 weeks. Nerves 6 months if they do heal, a lifetime if they don't.

Nasty55
08-22-2015, 04:13 AM
Doctor patient confidentiality. They keep passing the helmets, so I'd guess it will be a while before he's 100%. A good friend had something like this from a midget, although no two are the same. Dr said 6 weeks, 6 months or a lifetime. Flesh and bone 6 weeks. Nerves 6 months if they do heal, a lifetime if they don't.

I guess I should of asked if he was able to walk and have the feeling back in his legs or have they not Said yet Bubstr? Or is what you are saying is exactly that he is still without feeling in the lower extremities?

CIRF
08-22-2015, 07:47 AM
In Kevin's case he is young, strong and determined and his parents say he's got a positive attitude which is vitally essential to his recovery.

Let's hope and pray that Kevin is driving that famous black midget in Tulsa at The Chili Bowl this coming January.