PDA

View Full Version : Spring Load

dirtdiggerracing
08-14-2015, 11:31 PM
When putting rear coilover on a load rate setting your center-center length to Ride Height what is the load difference in the Left & Right side ?? THANKS For THE Help !!

Dirt2727
08-14-2015, 11:42 PM
Wouldnt that depend on how much bite you run?

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-15-2015, 07:56 AM
Wouldnt that depend on how much bite you run?

And a bunch of other geometry variables

Matt49
08-15-2015, 09:09 AM
You need to measure the center-to-center while it is on the car sitting at ride height. Then record what the load is at that distance in your smasher. Then when you change springs you just need to get the load the same at the same center-to-center distance in the smasher.

dirtdiggerracing
08-15-2015, 10:09 AM
Yes it depends on some variables! ! I am asking because my car has like 250# on RR and almost 800# on LR !!I think that is way to much split !! I have no side bite in the slick !! Other cars I help with only has 110-170 # of split across them! BTW I build and sale the load raters if anyone needs one they are very nice I can send pictures of them !! Thanks for info

dirtdiggerracing
08-15-2015, 10:10 AM
^^^ this is with 120# bite !!

Matt49
08-15-2015, 11:24 AM
You lost me...You're saying you have 120 pounds of bite but that you have 800 pounds on LR and 250 pounds on RR. That's 550 pounds of bite which is almost impossible. I'm missing something here...
What are your scale numbers?

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-15-2015, 12:50 PM
I think he is taking about spring loads. Not tire loads.

grt74
08-15-2015, 05:41 PM
im going to set back and watch on this one there are alot of opinions on this,even from the top engineers,and i hate to speak because there are so many different ways to explain this

Brian Gray
08-15-2015, 10:13 PM
So let me clarify. You are getting 120lbs of bite when the car is sitting on the scales . Then when you do your load rating your getting a much larger split.

This has everything to do with your leveraged wheel ratio. You can have that situation based upon your shock mounting at the chassis as well as variations of birdcage location, shock Angle ect. Is there a right or wrong ? Yes and no. It all depends on what load you are trying to achieve at the particular amount of travel. Dynamicly .
Having a high static load will slow your transfer even if the spring rate is low on your lr. This may contribute to your problem.

Without knowing more about your initial setup I would look at first at the distance from contact patch to mount on bc. As well as the angle of the shock and spring. Removing the angle and lowering the wheel rate ratio will bring that static load rate down and increase transfer to the rr which should help the side bite.
Keep in mind a high compression clamp in the shock will influence those readings on the machine so make sure you are allowing time to bleed that pressure off.