PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic measurements

dukeyyyyy
08-16-2015, 02:00 AM
What is best way to measure dynamically vs finding typical static measurements?

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-16-2015, 06:08 AM
What is best way to measure dynamically vs finding typical static measurements?

Accelerometers, lvdts, angular position sensors, all fed thru a data acquisition system

dukeyyyyy
08-16-2015, 09:28 AM
Obviously...

fastford
08-16-2015, 12:44 PM
you can simulate, to an extent, the car in its dynamic state in your shop. ie: drop right front down on bump stop, or what ever your travel gauge says, and jack left rear up to its limit. I also have a tie down to pull right rear down. this will help you spot some problems, but keep in mind, like master built said, with out these data acquisition devices, there is no way to accurately know exactly what a car is doing dynamically on the track, but I will say, I learned a LOT playing with it in my shop trying to simulate it being on the track.

grt74
08-16-2015, 12:53 PM
you can simulate, to an extent, the car in its dynamic state in your shop. ie: drop right front down on bump stop, or what ever your travel gauge says, and jack left rear up to its limit. I also have a tie down to pull right rear down. this will help you spot some problems, but keep in mind, like master built said, with out these data acquisition devices, there is no way to accurately know exactly what a car is doing dynamically on the track, but I will say, I learned a LOT playing with it in my shop trying to simulate it being on the track.

we use tie down hooks mounted in the floor(like the old time frame guys would use),then use ALOT HEAVIER SCALES to take readings,it will find alot for a person but if its shocks your working on its hard to beat the data deal,almost every different track will work in different areas of the shock

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-16-2015, 03:49 PM
Obviously...

You asked...

dukeyyyyy
08-16-2015, 08:29 PM
Realistically lol. I'm just looking for neighbors in the not so perfect world. That equipment would be tits, just can't justify the money for local racing

Matt49
08-17-2015, 08:08 AM
It may not be "data acquisition" but I think a lot can be learned from video of your suspension from under the car. I.e. GoPro watching the suspension. If you could get all 4 corners and the lift bar video and then sync them up, I think we would all see some things that may surprise us.