PDA

View Full Version : New Brinn feels bound up... Thoughts?

mopar92
08-18-2015, 06:25 PM
Brand new Wiles driveshaft, 7 race old Frankland rear and a brand new Brinn original trans. Finally finished the build today. I've never been around these dirt transmissions before, so I am asking if this is normal. The Yoke is 2" from the back of the tailhousing. The brake calipers are hanging from the frame, so it's not that. With the trans in neutral, its difficult to turn the rear hubs. Something feels bound up or the clutches are just new and rubbing? I'm concerned that it's very stiff to turn. Perhaps it's just these style transmissions and the quick change. Any thoughts? Thanks.

collateralDamage
08-18-2015, 09:22 PM
the transmission, if it is in neutral, should just be turning the output shaft and nothing else. low gear and reverse will spin the back half of the clutch drum and a lot more force is needed because of the friction from slipping the clutches/plates.

that being said, it is difficult to turn the hub by hand especially with a higher final drive ratio. although, you should be able to turn the hub in one continuous motion 3/4 to 1 full revolution without grunting or straining too hard. you should be able to wrap your hands around the driveshaft and turn it with very little grip. under normal conditions, nothing turned by hand will over-run or "free-wheel"

take the quick change gears out and try to turn the hub again and compare the difference.

mopar92
08-18-2015, 10:35 PM
I'll take the CQ gears out and see. But I just crawled under it and confirmed by hand that I am in Neutral and when I turn the driveshaft by hand (difficult) I feel some "clutch disc rub". I'm not saying that's what it is, but I feel some resistance in the trans. I can hear it too. I sure hope the master cylinder isn't sticking and the clutch partially engaged. That would be a bugger to change.

JustAddDirt
08-19-2015, 07:32 AM
was driveshaft tough to get in the tail shaft?
could be a tight tail shaft bushing. I have had to hone them before to get them to clearance right.

mopar92
08-19-2015, 09:09 AM
Not really, it seemed to go in ok.

Mad Jack
08-20-2015, 01:03 PM
What yoke are you using? make sure the O.D is like 1.500 - 1.502 Max. Might be a burr in the bushing area. Make sure there is a little play at the top of the pedal and that should ensure the Piston in the Master Cyl. is letting the Piston in side come back far enough. Also make sure the is or you are not using a quick disconnect on the clutch line.

JustAddDirt
08-20-2015, 02:32 PM
if you are checking it on jack stands with the suspension drooping you may feel resistance because of the u-joints, and the angle differences at the yokes.

set jack stands under axle tubes and check then to see if it rolls freely at a close ride height.

Neutral is were both the levers on transmission are pointing up, and the shift levers should be together in the middle of the stroke inside car.