PDA

View Full Version : Track conditions and bite

mark1971
08-24-2015, 06:49 PM
In general, when track is wet and tacky do you need more or less bite compared to a dry slick track? Thanks.

Matt49
08-24-2015, 10:02 PM
In general, when track is wet and tacky do you need more or less bite compared to a dry slick track? Thanks.

Assuming you're talking about LR bite...

More is "generally" better in slick conditions. YMMV. Adding LR bite (static cross weight) will typically loosen entry and tighten exit. But as tracks slow down you don't always need as much side bite because entry speed is down. So more LR could help you all the way around. It depends on track configuration and how the driver puts the car into the corner.

DEKconsulting
08-25-2015, 09:49 AM
Ask any driver when they want the most traction in the mud or the slick. The answer should be in the mud . Ask this by mark richards and i thought id be slick but wrong we more traction to turn the car in the mud

DEKconsulting
08-25-2015, 09:53 AM
I did some testing on a quarter mile bull ring fast and muddy with 70 lbs lr and 170 lbs lr back to back nothing else different. The car turned so much better in an thru the middle

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-25-2015, 11:26 AM
You always want a balanced car. Sure, you can stab and steer in the mud. It takes traction to do that.

Ideally, we would keep the same yaw in the car on slick and tacky. We would make adjustments to keep the car attitude the same and it will drive the same.

PushinTheLimit
08-25-2015, 12:03 PM
DEK, which bite setup turned better for you? It wasn't clear to me in your reply.

LateModel B23
08-25-2015, 02:11 PM
Won a lot of late model races @ Devils Bowl with 80# or RR bite.

DEKconsulting
08-25-2015, 09:37 PM
170 lr was the better one but toned it down to about 145 to be more balanced

PushinTheLimit
08-26-2015, 03:34 PM
What is interesting to me is that adding LR bite loosens entry and tightens exit... but you typically add wedge to the car when the track slicks off to tighten it up. Seems like that contradicts each other. Or am I just thinking about it wrong?

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-26-2015, 04:03 PM
What is interesting to me is that adding LR bite loosens entry and tightens exit... but you typically add wedge to the car when the track slicks off to tighten it up. Seems like that contradicts each other. Or am I just thinking about it wrong?

You might be surprised what is "typical" these days.

Matt49
08-26-2015, 04:52 PM

It's difficult to add LR bite without changing other things.
Example: If you add bite by giving the LR a few turns, you've just increased j-bar angle and left side bar angles.

25drtrkr
08-26-2015, 05:49 PM
I don't know about the rest of you, but adding wedge in LR never gave my drivers enough drive or side bite in the slick. Generally, I adjusted RS bars and jbar and sometimes 5th coil.

DEKconsulting
08-27-2015, 02:03 PM
We find a number that works for us and leave it alone tacky or slick

W2racing
08-31-2015, 08:56 PM
Assuming you're talking about LR bite...

More is "generally" better in slick conditions. YMMV. Adding LR bite (static cross weight) will typically loosen entry and tighten exit. But as tracks slow down you don't always need as much side bite because entry speed is down. So more LR could help you all the way around. It depends on track configuration and how the driver puts the car into the corner.

Ok I'm confused. I don't know crap about suspension.But I always thought that adding lr bite would tighten car on entry and exit. Not doubting u, but how does adding bite loosen entry?

billetbirdcage
08-31-2015, 09:05 PM
Think the shopping cart theory, push the cart straight and stop the LR wheel: it goes left

More LR bite is more static weight on LR tire then RR, so more weight on LR should mean it has more traction then before thus when on the brakes or the engine is slowing the car the LR drags the car left more.

Pretty crude explaination but gets the point across, lol.

W2racing
08-31-2015, 09:21 PM
Think the shopping cart theory, push the cart straight and stop the LR wheel: it goes left

More LR bite is more static weight on LR tire then RR, so more weight on LR should mean it has more traction then before thus when on the brakes or the engine is slowing the car the LR drags the car left more.

Pretty crude explaination but gets the point across, lol.

Thanks billet, that makes me feel better. I was thinking in terms of on throttle into the corner and couldn't see how more bite could loosen the car on entry.

billetbirdcage
08-31-2015, 09:25 PM
generally entry is referred to: off throttle but not always, crates often don't really have an entry cause they never lift so you have to be careful with wording. A lot of confusion comes from different use of terms.

Middle to me is right before throttle application and has no bearing on track position, where some may refer to middle as in the middle of the track.

Matt49
09-01-2015, 07:36 AM
generally entry is referred to: off throttle but not always, crates often don't really have an entry cause they never lift so you have to be careful with wording. A lot of confusion comes from different use of terms.

Middle to me is right before throttle application and has no bearing on track position, where some may refer to middle as in the middle of the track.

Very good point.
In general, when someone says corner entry, they are talking about deceleration and turning left at the same time.
In general, when someone says mid-corner or middle, they mean still turning but maybe not decelerating or accelerating.
In general, when someone says corner exit, they are talking about acceleration and the car coming out of the turn (still turning but straightening out).

On many tracks (maybe MOST) , you're never going in a straight line.