PDA

View Full Version : shocks

FlatTire
08-26-2015, 04:46 PM
Why do some shock builders say shock "adjustability" is over rated and adjustability will not correct an improperly tuned shock nor improve its performance? I kind of see where they are coming from since a shock is essentially a damper for frequency oscillations but I know most of us like to "click" shocks all night long! Some shock builders even give you a sheet that says how many clicks to set the shocks at based on track conditions.

zeroracing
08-26-2015, 05:46 PM
"Clicks" typically only tune a bypass set up and don't actually change the shim stack any. Some shocks this causes a wide range of adjustment while others not so much. The primary action of the shock is controlled through the shim stack and piston, if your way off their no amount of fine adjustment will help. Some style like ohlins ttx throw the shims out.

I have not taken apart a four way adjustable to see how they are currently configuring most of them, one would assume something similar to the past and your still stuck with a shim stack that may or may not be correct.

It's just like your four link bars, just because your LR upper has four holes in the chassis does not mean they are in the right location.

Brian Gray
08-26-2015, 09:59 PM
I have been telling people this For years. And yes adjusters are over rated. Even the new 4 way shocks must be tuned and the adjusters only give you some leeway on changes. The adjusters bleed off flow between the piston or allow it to escape into the bypass. This creates a different characteristic than if the flow was being clamped off, pressure dumped ect.

Good shock people are hard to come by when you find one you can work with hang on to them. They can make you. Btw It has been a long time since I've seen an off the shelf shock work well. They all need tuned to your needs.

Matt49
08-27-2015, 10:05 AM
Most of the adjustability on double-adjustables is influencing low speed but not affecting high speed much at all.

dirtdiggerracing
08-30-2015, 11:11 PM
Those other guy gave you some answers that were partial right !! Some shocks have more adjustment than others !! Some adjust both way on the shafts adjuster some don't! ! We own Downforce Race Suspensions !! Give me a call and I will be glad to help you out !!
Call or text
Michael 256-740-9729