PDA

View Full Version : Switching from Aluminum Block to Steel Block

jmayabb
09-01-2015, 08:00 AM
What will be the big chassis adjustments from switching from an aluminum block to a steel block? I know the rear percentage will change probably but any major changes.

Dirt36
09-01-2015, 08:44 AM
You may already know this but, you will need to raise the engine in the car with a steel block, and possible move it more to the right depending the wheel weights your trying to achieve.

JJRT
09-01-2015, 08:46 AM
do you raise the front and the rear of the engine when running a steel block ?

billetbirdcage
09-01-2015, 12:49 PM
Back to one of my pet peeves again:

Engine placement is based of COG of the engine so saying steel block needs to be raised while most of the time is true, it depends on the engine. If you simply swap out blocks with the same internals then yes the COD was lowered in the new steel block engine and likely needs moved up. But if you have different internals like 2 completely different combo's the weight of the crank and rods and rest of it come into play. You can have a aluminum engine and steel engine that have the same COG hieght and therefore require the same mounting height.

in short: COG and overall total weight of the engine determines mounting height not whether it's steel or alum block/heads.

save the racers
09-01-2015, 05:56 PM
To put some numbers with that, some of my alum. /steel motors are within 30lbs ,some over 100lbs.With the heavier motors it seems to loose forward bite.The driver lives on bread and water during the season so we have some ballast to move up.