PDA

View Full Version : RR Trail

mod321
09-01-2015, 09:52 PM
How does everyone on here decide if they need to make a bar adjustment (usually lower bar) or add trail to loosen the car through the corner? Yes I get the idea behind both, just looking for everyone's opinion on this. Thanks and hopefully this will start some good conversation!

TheJet-09
09-01-2015, 11:21 PM
I look at it in just the opposite light...when do I need to lower the RR bottom bar to help tighten the car in and when do I need to take RR trail out to also tighten. I would think your "baseline" set-up is typically going to be the to the far end of your "free" side (if considering it as a spectrum), but I guess if you first go out and are just way too tight then adjustments need to be made from there.

talclipse
09-03-2015, 08:32 PM
We typically start out free and adjust tight so that HOPEFULLY on a given night as we go through our adjustment cycle we are working in one direction. For weekly racing we don't typically get into situations where we have to free the car up later in the night. I feel this keeps us from having to take big swings at adjustments.

As far as how we judge when and how much to make a trail or bar change we try to keep an eye on a couple guys in each of the other classes to see how much they slow down, then we keep an eye on the track. Running the same/ similar tracks you can get a pretty good feel for how big of a swing you need to take for different conditions. This is why it's so critical to take good notes and include where you felt the car was lacking and how you'd adjust the car given another opportunity.

Different drivers feel changes differently. A change in RRL bar angle to me is a very noticeable change. Some of my buddies barely notice it.

When adjusting trail on the car it's also important to have someone outside of the car looking at where the front wheels are pointed. There have been many times when a 'tight' car on exit was fixed by rolling the RR forward due to the car crab walking up the track.