PDA

View Full Version : Northern sport mod racing in A-Mod class

hughesracing9
09-15-2015, 05:13 PM
How do you think it would fair on a slow dry slick track? We are flirting with the idea of putting one together for Boone next year but we are in central Texas. Competition is stiff with Keith White, PJ Egbert, and William Gould racing here, but I know Gould won some races last year with an old 3 link dirt works. Wasnt legal by northern SM rules by any means, but just wondering

SRXSRULE
09-15-2015, 09:43 PM
With a good/great driver it would likely put you in the top 3-5 at a weekly show. Ive seen it done more then once when a top A-mod drivers wrecks or breaks in a heat race and barrows a sport mod for the feature and does just fine with it.
Depending on the night and conditions there are times the sportmods are faster then the A-mods.

Now..... if your talking about taking this to boone thats a whole different deal. You could get lucky, draw a front row start on a late heat race when its super dry and make a qualifying feature but after that you would never make the top 4 out of 30 cars to make it into saturdays show.

hughesracing9
09-16-2015, 07:45 AM
nah, it would be run as a NSM at Boone, but with nowhere to run it around here except maybe Oklahoma (5 hours away) I would want some play time with it.

TS3g
09-16-2015, 08:25 AM
A 3-link car is capable of winning against 4-link cars, so no worries there. If its always slick, you'll be fine, but if its heavy ever, you'll be underpowered a little though. My old man lost an engine in his mod earlier this year and put my old open NSM engine in for a few races. The only change he made was run it on alcohol. Performance was similar to the crates, and he was able to run top 4 no problem, even when the track was tacky.

So If you were to run it as an A-mod primarily, I'd run the engine on Alky and put a biscuit pull bar in it just to help with traction recovery (solid pull bars are difficult to regain traction with if you spin the tires). Then when you go to Boone, throw the spoiler on it, switch to gas, and put the solid pull bar back in.

SRXSRULE
09-16-2015, 09:48 PM
correct me if im wrong...... Isnt the only thing that would need done to a IMCA northern sport mod to run in the IMCA Mod class would be to remove the rear spoiler? Eric

TS3g
09-17-2015, 08:19 AM
Mostly, yes. According to the rules, you'd have make a filler piece for the sail panels to make them go all the way to the rear deck bar, and you'd have to have a rev limiter (if you didn't have one, since claimer sport mods aren't required to). That being said, I have seen sport mods simply take the spoiler off and be allowed to run with mods.

I was just suggesting the alky/pull bar thing as a way to narrow the performance gap between the two if the sport mod was to be race primarily as a mod.

stock car driver
09-17-2015, 10:30 AM
D Murray ran a 3 link last year and won one of the specials at spring nationals... maybe 60 mods! maybe he still is..

you really already answered your own question, you know it will be fine as in tx there aren't a lot of great cars. Gould is a many time winner down there and not a top 5 guy in Iowa at all and he ran 3 link before which Matt G. is still running.

hughesracing9
09-17-2015, 10:53 AM
i didnt know that was the car Matt was running. Hes won one or two in the Dallas area if im not mistaken.

stock car driver
09-17-2015, 12:44 PM
i didnt know that was the car Matt was running. Hes won one or two in the Dallas area if im not mistaken.

yes it is and last I knew he is running a stock car type limited motor on gas