PDA

View Full Version : One shock per wheel rule coming .

Brian Gray
09-21-2015, 07:58 PM
I hear this is in the talks. Personally i think it's long over due.

Barbecueboy
09-21-2015, 09:02 PM

Well this ought to be good for a little( yawn) hucky version of 50 shades of gay.........gray , meant gray.

The real question is , are they going to limit huck to one jack stand per wheel????

Nasty55
09-21-2015, 09:22 PM
Phuck it... make 'em run without shocks!!!! See who wins then...

Johnny Huck will win sitting on his jackstands..... Lol

Nasty55
09-21-2015, 09:27 PM
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATS up home boy!!!!!

You doing well I hope Dale???

I'm not doing to bad for an old fart lol... How about you brother? You been doing OK? We miss you up around this joint too man...

plunks7
09-21-2015, 10:02 PM
God!!! I miss you guys!!!!

Same from all of us to you!!!! Got a new cheby :) I thought you would like that, LOL. It's not as fum as it used to be.

hucktyson
09-22-2015, 08:27 AM
Sounds like new more expensive Lr behind shocks will be coming shortly

zyoung25
09-22-2015, 08:30 AM
It doesn't matter. The smart ones always figure out something else that works in so called "grey area." Just give it time....I'm sure they're already working on that idea.

fastford
09-22-2015, 08:36 AM
im all for it, as long as they don't ban brake floaters. a few years back, owens was killing every one with one left rear shock and a brake floater on left rear, port city even made one just for him. he flat out had that set up dialed in back then.

Barbecueboy
09-22-2015, 09:29 AM
Let's just put them all in fox body mustangs while we are at it........

Josh Bayko
09-22-2015, 09:49 AM
One shock per wheel seems to be a reasonable rule, but it won't curb costs as much as anybody thinks. Somebody really smart will figure out some kind of setup that behaves the same as current setups and charge good money for it.

hucktyson
09-22-2015, 10:34 AM
Brian gray could come up with a shock with a heavily pre loaded compression stack that will hold the left rear Up just as well as 2 shocks are now. I think this is aimed at rumleys schmedrick device on the left rear lol

Josh Bayko
09-22-2015, 10:54 AM
Brian gray could come up with a shock with a heavily pre loaded compression stack that will hold the left rear Up just as well as 2 shocks are now. I think this is aimed at rumleys schmedrick device on the left rear lol

I said somebody really smart will figure it out. That automatically disqualifies Gray.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-22-2015, 12:55 PM

I don't see the point. I also heard no bump stops. Who is going to disassemble shocks to find internal ones?

slide-skill
09-22-2015, 02:27 PM
How about putting the LR shock back in front of the axle tube ! one shock one spring in front of the axle tube like it used to be .

Matt49
09-22-2015, 02:45 PM
How about putting the LR shock back in front of the axle tube !

Yeah let's go backwards 20 years...that sounds like a great idea.
Let's take it a step further and use truck arm suspension, non-adjustable shocks, and steel wheels. Then the cars will be cheap...worked for NASCAR didn't it?

Barbecueboy
09-22-2015, 02:52 PM
Yeah let's go backwards 20 years...that sounds like a great idea.
Let's take it a step further and use truck arm suspension, non-adjustable shocks, and steel wheels. Then the cars will be cheap...worked for NASCAR didn't it?

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

slide-skill
09-22-2015, 03:07 PM
M49 , you don't understand . When they went to the shock behind setup that's when dirt racing changed to more shock tech needed which means more $$$$$$

Clayton_Wetter
09-22-2015, 03:44 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy Nunn View Post
Phuck it... make 'em run without shocks!!!! See who wins then...

Thank you for the good laugh sir!!! HAHAHAHAHA

Matt49
09-22-2015, 04:08 PM
M49 , you don't understand . When they went to the shock behind setup that's when dirt racing changed to more shock tech needed which means more $$$$$$

So it sounds like you're implying that the LR spring behind setup created demand for better shock technology. Would you like to explain that?
Assuming that you can, then also explain to me how a $5000 set of shocks is somehow breaking the budget of teams that can afford a couple of $40,000 motors and spend $10,000-$20,000 per year keeping them freshened.

TheJet-09
09-22-2015, 04:29 PM
Probably has nothing to do with cost because in the end what do sanctioning bodies care about our budgets? It probably has to do with the two or three races a year that actually have some sort of tech inspection and the tech guys having no idea what they are looking at.

25drtrkr
09-22-2015, 04:43 PM
So it sounds like you're implying that the LR spring behind setup created demand for better shock technology. Would you like to explain that?
Assuming that you can, then also explain to me how a $5000 set of shocks is somehow breaking the budget of teams that can afford a couple of $40,000 motors and spend $10,000-$20,000 per year keeping them freshened.

Plus, the lr behind has made the racing far better! Very,very,very rarely could 2 cars run side by side in the past.

Barbecueboy
09-22-2015, 05:15 PM
Probably has nothing to do with cost because in the end what do sanctioning bodies care about our budgets? It probably has to do with the two or three races a year that actually have some sort of tech inspection and the tech guys having no idea what they are looking at.

Bingo.............

let-r-eat
09-22-2015, 05:18 PM
The advent of slick tracks.

Matt49
09-22-2015, 05:32 PM
The advent of slick tracks.

Slick tracks have existed since dirt track racing BUT there is a lot of truth to the statement that shocks become more important in slick conditions. As a driver, I like slick conditions because it brings out the driver (which I don't have) and the setup (which I sometimes get) a lot more. Fast tracks may be exciting but the biggest motors are usually up front, not the best drivers or setups. And there isn't usually as much passing...but let's not get too far off topic...

The reason this is even being discussed is because of the "Rumley device" that has everybody so mystified. Few people seem to know what it is or what it does but it is obvious that it is utilizing an additional shock so people think we just need to make that a rule. It's stupid. It's just like some tracks that run crates have a "no canister shock rule". Dumb, dumb, dumb. Get a set of Integra IDAs or Genesis and you have something just as good as a canister shock but you spent more money if you already had a set of Ohlins, Penske, ARS, ets. It's just a prime example of the people making the rules having no idea what they are doing. Creating a rule under the guise of SAVING racers money almost always COSTS racers money. But I digress...

zeroracing
09-22-2015, 06:18 PM
Matt is dead on on this, I guess I don't get it. So one car developed a piece that is not crazy expensive just took a brain to figure out. Nothing on it looks expensive, the trick is in the valving inside everything.

If one guy was smart enough to figure out something that put their car in a completely different league do you think banning one of his ideas will change that? The difference was he had a small budget and tried an idea, now he has close to half a million in extra cash to try more ideas, good luck beating him to the next thing.

To the comment about the LR behind causing the cost to go up. Take b mods for example, run for $150 a night. The first years around us a guy with a used bent car and smoking motor could win, now guys are using toter homes and building multiple new cars. In recent years big money has influenced the entire sport, no matter the rules. Please stop helping us with more rules they rarely save money on the long run.

fastford
09-22-2015, 06:39 PM
Matt is dead on on this, I guess I don't get it. So one car developed a piece that is not crazy expensive just took a brain to figure out. Nothing on it looks expensive, the trick is in the valving inside everything.

If one guy was smart enough to figure out something that put their car in a completely different league do you think banning one of his ideas will change that? The difference was he had a small budget and tried an idea, now he has close to half a million in extra cash to try more ideas, good luck beating him to the next thing.

To the comment about the LR behind causing the cost to go up. Take b mods for example, run for $150 a night. The first years around us a guy with a used bent car and smoking motor could win, now guys are using toter homes and building multiple new cars. In recent years big money has influenced the entire sport, no matter the rules. Please stop helping us with more rules they rarely save money on the long run.

dang zero, I was on my way out to shop to work on my junk and didn't plan on looking on here, but im glad I did, excellent post buddy. and matt is dead on

Barbecueboy
09-22-2015, 06:54 PM
No kidding........two of the best posts written so far on the subject.

Especially the part about the rule makers not really keeping up......they are now more reactionary than ever.

25drtrkr
09-22-2015, 07:25 PM
No kidding........two of the best posts written so far on the subject.

Especially the part about the rule makers not really keeping up......they are now more reactionary than ever.

Yep, they took away Bloomers special shocks and now they're taking away Rumleys shocks too!

I hear the faint word....NASCAR.....creeping into the dlm world!.......God help us!

Matt49
09-22-2015, 07:37 PM
Yep, they took away Bloomers special shocks and now they're taking away Rumleys shocks too!

I hear the faint word....NASCAR.....creeping into the dlm world!.......God help us!

It used to be, somebody innovated and everybody else played catch-up. If it turns into, somebody innovates and you make more rules, NASCAR is exactly what we'll have.

25drtrkr
09-22-2015, 08:30 PM
It used to be, somebody innovated and everybody else played catch-up. If it turns into, somebody innovates and you make more rules, NASCAR is exactly what we'll have.

.....and we wonder why great innovators like Smokey and Junior.....QUIT!

FlatTire
09-22-2015, 09:31 PM
History has shown that the racer is always one step ahead of the tech man! This wont ever change. There is more to be had out there. Rules have never stopped innovation yet!

let-r-eat
09-23-2015, 12:34 AM
I stated slick racetracks because they are slicker today than ever before. I remember the 70's when you went home clean after a race.

A track as slick as you have today the races from back then would still be on. The suspension/tire then wouldn't even go around the tracks you have today. They'd never finish a race and if they did it would be about as exciting as watching traffic on a dead end street.

The suspension and tire today is hard on a racing surface.

grt74
09-23-2015, 05:41 AM
I don't see the point. I also heard no bump stops. Who is going to disassemble shocks to find internal ones?

just make sure the shaft goes all the way in,its easy enough to check,they do it in the asphalt world,but then everyone just goes to the coil bind setups

zyoung25
09-23-2015, 05:45 AM
That pic floating around is old. Here's the latest setup from Kevin.

https://m.facebook.com/Turn3Gang/photos/pb.112868302076217.-2207520000.1443005029./1120192374677133/?type=3&source=54

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
09-23-2015, 09:03 AM
just make sure the shaft goes all the way in,its easy enough to check,they do it in the asphalt world,but then everyone just goes to the coil bind setups

Thats what she says to me! Lol

formercrewguy
09-23-2015, 10:24 AM
I heard if Hillary wins, Lucas and WoO are going back to leaf springs.

SMH@ stupid rumors.......

Barbecueboy
09-23-2015, 10:30 AM
Does it sound something like this Jumper? Baa aa aa aa aa aa...

Lmao:D

That's just baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad........

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-23-2015, 01:24 PM

How often you get your wheelbase checked? They are not going to take all the shocks off every car in tech.

vande07
09-23-2015, 02:19 PM
considering Sprints only run 4 shocks and their shock set-ups are just as high tech as the late models, I don't see this saving any $$$ for the teams whatsoever.

Drop Shock
09-23-2015, 02:26 PM
considering Sprints only run 4 shocks and their shock set-ups are just as high tech as the late models, I don't see this saving any $$$ for the teams whatsoever.

Sprint car suspension is no where near advanced as late model suspension. Most sprints are still running oil shocks. The only thing that's high tech about a sprint car compared to a LM is the big wing on top

vande07
09-23-2015, 03:15 PM
Sprint car suspension is no where near advanced as late model suspension. Most sprints are still running oil shocks. The only thing that's high tech about a sprint car compared to a LM is the big wing on top

Just because they look simple doesn't mean they are. If they were, you wouldn't ever see anyone look like they are driving on ice while another looks like they are taking a cruise down the highway (their rules are so tight on tires, wings, cars, engines, the only advantage is in the shocks and suspension).

I've heard of sprint car teams spending $2500 per shock nowadays (which is totally insane I my opinion, but it's not my $$$). There is still some experimenting going on, but not much, they now just "fine tune" the shocks.

The additions of Kasey Kahne, Kyle Larson and Tony Stewart as car owners has brought NASCAR shock and suspension technology to sprint cars for the last 10+ years.

The rest of the suspension? Yeah, maybe not a whole lot of innovation, but some of their suspension is inside the frame of the car (torsion bars). the only thing visible is the shock and torsion arm.

To me, the supposed "wonder part" that Rumley is running on Davenport's car looks like a take on a Sprint Car Birdcage. But, it could be doing absolutely nothing except making everyone else over-think their own set-ups.

Matt49
09-23-2015, 07:39 PM
Sprint cars continue to use suspension technology from the 1960s. It blows my mind. I realize there are "traditionalists" but sh!t, what do they want that sport to be. It pretty much is what it is and it has been the same "is" for about the last 20 years.

big willy
09-23-2015, 09:27 PM
Its really not that difficult and most anyone with a pulse could tech the cars if they would go to a rule prohibiting any rear suspension component behind the axle tube (with the exception of two rod ends, jam nuts and part of a radius rods being the exception so not to disqualify the z-link / swing arms still out there). It wouldn't cost the racer anything and would put the focus back on the seat and right foot...

Barbecueboy
09-23-2015, 09:29 PM
Its really not that difficult and most anyone with a pulse could tech the cars if they would go to a rule prohibiting any rear suspension component behind the axle tube (with the exception of two rod ends, jam nuts and part of a radius rods being the exception so not to disqualify the z-link / swing arms still out there). It wouldn't cost the racer anything and would put the focus back on the seat and right foot...

I'm liking that " seat and right foot rule ".

Nice post willy

buster83
09-24-2015, 07:26 AM
perfection in rear steer is a game changer.