PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Rayburn is it a decent late model to race slick track w/604 crate

harmonjk
10-01-2015, 02:26 PM
Im looking at a Rayburn and know nothing about them! Is it a descent car and would it be competive on tacky or dryslick track? Car will be sitting on Afco or Olin shocks! Thanks for any advise I can get.

SuperEight
10-02-2015, 05:53 PM
I like Rayburns, but traditionally they are more difficult to make work in the slick. I'm not saying they can't work in the slick because they can, but... If your knew to DLM's your probably better off getting a car that you can get more help and tech advice for. 4 link or 4 bar is the dominant suspension design today and there are a wide selection of builders to choose from. Best advice on making your selection would be, don't get a car that is too old and, "flexed out", look for weld cracks around the left rear suspension hook ups and support tubes. Also it would be wise to get a car built as close to you as possible for service reasons when you need a clip or setup advice more in tune with your area. Good luck and goto a seminar.

grt74
10-02-2015, 08:31 PM
i say this and leave it alone,in the slick they can be the fastest thing out there but the correct setup and springs are huge,the problem is you'll have to go from 1 extreme to another with it,if you do get it DONT BE AFRAID OF RR SPRING,thats on a swing arm setup

langdonracing48
02-19-2016, 07:43 AM
Grt74 is right, don't be afraid at all of RR spring if its swing arm! I always ran between a 400 and 600# spring depending on track conditions. Always drove good.

grt74
02-24-2016, 07:20 PM
Grt74 is right, don't be afraid at all of RR spring if its swing arm! I always ran between a 400 and 600# spring depending on track conditions. Always drove good.

i remember at a summer Nats race someone asking for 1000lbs spring and all he could find was an 8 hundred AND HE WON FROM 14TH,i really believe with the right shocks they can still win,if i could find a 104 car that was straight,i would jig it and give her a try with some of todays front end stuff and stiffen the frame up(because of the way we load the rf now),but it would still be very close to what the old front end was

langdonracing48
02-24-2016, 07:54 PM
I believe the same thing. I'd love to have a new version of my old Rayburn. I just bought a 2010 Rayburn combo car I'm hoping will be able to win races. Its set up 4/4 currently, but i think I'm gonna try some of the old swing arm stuff in the rear and see what happens.