PDA

View Full Version : gumbo nationals tonight

swartzman
10-02-2015, 08:57 PM
With all the rain outs I wonder who all put there rigs in high gear today and headed to Mississippi for the 10 grand tonight? I know they have over 160 cars there tonight.. who all is there I don't know. I'm sure information will be out somewhere before long.

Highside Hustler25
10-03-2015, 06:11 AM
I'd say none. I think they're all scared of Bub. Maybe Culp can give Bub a run for his $$.

pink floyd
10-03-2015, 07:48 AM
hope to see bub in victory lane!!!

Kwd1253
10-03-2015, 11:57 AM
hope to see bub in victory lane!!!Bub or clay would do for me

johnE
10-03-2015, 12:33 PM
Rickman!......

swartzman
10-03-2015, 02:31 PM
Yeah Rickman gets around there pretty good. There R several who get around Greenville pretty good..Moyer jr. Is doing better than he ever has so it may turn out to be a barn burner there tonight.one thing you can count on is that it will not be a train race.

One Man Gang
10-03-2015, 03:04 PM
Ray Moore has always run good at Greenville I wouldn't count him out but that 57j probably be car to beat. Dark horse pick to get to front would be Putnam

swartzman
10-03-2015, 11:03 PM
Talked to someone down there a few minutes ago.. Timothy Culp won it Josh putnman Bub McCool Ray Moore.. Said it was a pretty good race. I am sure there will be some video out there

swartzman
10-04-2015, 12:22 AM
I just read the Ben Shelton report on it, it sure sounded like it was good one..

pap
10-04-2015, 07:55 AM
Just watched the video on DOD..... WOW!!! The middle third of the video was some of the best/wildest racing I have seen this year. If you have DOD, it's a must see!!!!

Highside Hustler25
10-04-2015, 09:06 AM
Good race. Glad to see Culp get the win. I do think Bub got screwed tho.

paver
10-04-2015, 10:01 AM
Congrats to Culp on the win. HH I totally agree how could they put Bub to the rear that just wasn't right.

Highside Hustler25
10-04-2015, 10:30 AM
Congrats to Culp on the win. HH I totally agree how could they put Bub to the rear that just wasn't right.

Bub has had his differences with Greenville before. Not a surprise call by the track. Had he not gone to the tail, I'm a thinkin he might have won it.

Here is some footage of a prior engagement...

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=A2KLqIVdRRFWV2cAgNEsnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByZ2 N0cmxpBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDdmlkBHZ0aWQDBGdwb3MDMg--?p=bub+mccool+interview&vid=65c6d98ffc43616d5ab2a4573357b652&turl=http%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DWN. VLYWJoQoNkGBs01mOBORJQ%26pid%3D15.1%26h%3D225%26w% 3D300%26c%3D7%26rs%3D1&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DD UsIwzg4w4c&tit=Bub+McCool+in+Victory+lane+%40+Greenville&c=1&h=225&w=300&l=91&sigr=11b32dagu&sigt=1172p6csj&sigi=12l949k50&age=1381313404&fr2=p%3As%2Cv%3Av&fr=yhs-mozilla-001&hsimp=yhs-001&hspart=mozilla&tt=b

swartzman
10-04-2015, 07:10 PM
The track had nothing to do with it.. It was a series race.. But for Bub to go to the rear and come back to 3rd as great. Bub started on the rear and won it before, so it can be done there.. That track has the same dirt as Columbus ms. But, it will get even slicker.. Which makes for some dang good racing, Culp had to fend off people all night,

slmcrewchief99
10-04-2015, 07:14 PM
Thanks KWD1253. Naturally I wanted Clay to win also. We had a great car but not the finish. Started 18th and by mid race was up to 7th. We kinda race with all these guys enough to know it can be a battle of attrition. Last night was 1 of those nights. He said he was going to ride and not do anything stupid, Just keep the nose on it and then go race after half way. That's exactly what he did but even the front runners get crazy and that's what happened. It was a restart with 35 to go I believe. That's when Sullivan got turned in the wall and Clay had nowhere to go and knocked the nose off. It's just a part of racing that you hate to be in the middle of but it happens. We will fix it up and hopefully done in time to get to the Cotton Pickin 100 this next weekend. To those that didn't make it to the race really missed a good time. We had a blast for sure.

racingfool32
10-04-2015, 08:03 PM
Man it was a very good wall riding race. Reminded me of the PDCish.

Kwd1253
10-04-2015, 08:31 PM
Thanks KWD1253. Naturally I wanted Clay to win also. We had a great car but not the finish. Started 18th and by mid race was up to 7th. We kinda race with all these guys enough to know it can be a battle of attrition. Last night was 1 of those nights. He said he was going to ride and not do anything stupid, Just keep the nose on it and then go race after half way. That's exactly what he did but even the front runners get crazy and that's what happened. It was a restart with 35 to go I believe. That's when Sullivan got turned in the wall and Clay had nowhere to go and knocked the nose off. It's just a part of racing that you hate to be in the middle of but it happens. We will fix it up and hopefully done in time to get to the Cotton Pickin 100 this next weekend. To those that didn't make it to the race really missed a good time. We had a blast for sure.Yeah seen that sucks, look like yall made the right car setup for sat. Night just ran into some bad luck . Hope yall get the car back to 100% and have so really good luck for cotton pickin 100 to pick that win up.

swartzman
10-04-2015, 08:43 PM
How much good food did y'all eat up Saturday afternoon? I know Wesley and them treat everybody to alot of it!! The only bad part of it is you want to go take a nap.

golddirt
10-04-2015, 09:46 PM
Shhhh I hear banjos !!

LMPunk
10-05-2015, 08:01 AM
If that race had been at Fairbury, it'd not only win race of the year for 2015 but retroactively for the next three years as well.

Highside Hustler25
10-05-2015, 12:45 PM
comparing Greenvilles late race skating rink to FALS tacky surface is like...

never mind. Not worth the time to explain:rolleyes:

LMPunk
10-05-2015, 01:31 PM
I don't see where anyone compared the track surfaces, but if there were that many cars going at each other at the front at Fairbury like there was Saturday night at Greenville, the replies would be in the hundreds in this thread and it'd be getting all kinds of "RACE OF THE YEAR ERMMAGERRRD" hype.

Highside Hustler25
10-05-2015, 06:37 PM
but if there were that many cars going at each other at the front at Fairbury like there was Saturday night at Greenville

It happens weekly. Your loss if you've never witnessed it.

racingfool32
10-05-2015, 07:50 PM
The races from start to finish Fairbury hands down!! only been this year and will be back for the PDC as long as I'm able to get around. My reference was how the cushion was up the wall.

swartzman
10-05-2015, 07:52 PM
I will tell you this, if Greenville wanted the race track tacky it can easily be made that way.. The dirt Greenville has on it holds moisture like very few tracks will. Even after every class races that night you had better have have your shoes laced up and tied tight or you will walk straight out of them.. The reason they do the track the way it is, is because the racing is better, the track stays smooth and is easier on equipment. The way the track is now, you have to drive the car and have a good set up.. Not 1000 hp and a loose car to even get around the turn..

racingfool32
10-05-2015, 07:56 PM
Only thing sucked at the Gumbo Nationals was the 20mph north wind for 7 hours!!! But it's always our first race that cool so I'll take it.

swartzman
10-05-2015, 10:23 PM
Greenville is the only track I have been to that during their big race feeds every single person in the pits.. I'm not talking cheap a$$ hotdogs or something similar. They throw down with a big fish fry and gumbo and let you eat all you want. Wesley and James go out of their way to make sure you feel wanted there and they appreciate you coming to race with them..

LMPunk
10-06-2015, 06:17 AM
It happens weekly. Your loss if you've never witnessed it.
My point exactly.

SnakeX3
10-06-2015, 10:44 AM
Greenville is the only track I have been to that during their big race feeds every single person in the pits.. I'm not talking cheap a$$ hotdogs or something similar. They throw down with a big fish fry and gumbo and let you eat all you want. Wesley and James go out of their way to make sure you feel wanted there and they appreciate you coming to race with them..

If I was a track owner, that's how I'd do it. When you're putting on a show all you gotta do is show your guests some hospitality, be nice and treat them with respect. It doesn't take that much to show people a good time and in a close knit community like dirt racin', word gets around.

RE: The Race - I don't think anyone can dispute that was the best 75 lapper of the year. It reminded me of a Hell Tour race. If there were bigger names racin' that night or it wasn't in the deep south? Well....LMpunk said it best, ""RACE OF THE YEAR ERMMAGERRRD!!!!11". Okay...maybe not, but if it wasn't, it was dang close.

Recently I read a post in another thread where someone asked what drivers were coming to some race. Another 4Mer replied with something like, "what does it matter?". That Gumbo race is why he was right. Doesn't matter if it's a local show or Crown Jewel. As long as the field is competitive and the track is well prepped it don't much matter who the drivers are, a great race can break out anywhere at any time.

I've watched the heats 3 times, the feature 4 times and stopped to rewind the Culp/Rickman incident at least 20 times tryin' to figure out what the heck happened there. When I'm finished with this TL;DR post, I'm gonna go watch it again. If you don't have a DoD subscription, that is why you need one. And if the action alone wasn't enough, Ben Shelton called a great race. It was Essex-esque effort on his part.

Although I'm a fan of Bub McCool, I wasn't disappointed with the outcome. I thought he drove a helluva race. I'd have liked it if there was maybe one more caution near the end to tighten things up a bit to see if he had enough to beat Culp, but this ain't NASCAR and the race from 2nd on back didn't need a hot dog wrapper to make things exciting. Congrats to Culp on his win.

RE: Rickman v. Culp - Until I read the race report late last night on DoD I didn't know for certain why Rickman started at the back after that caution for Culp climbing the wall. I thought maybe he got a flat after the C8 hit him under yellow. ;) :D

Now I ain't got a dog in that fight and I certainly don't want to start one with or between you boys. I wasn't there. I only saw the DoD video and what I saw was hard racin'. On a track that slick I don't know how you could say Rickman intentionally tried to wreck Culp or even say that he was overly aggressive. He may have overdrove his skill or made a mistake, but I just don't think he did it on purpose.

On the other hand, Culp *DID* run into Rickman under caution and I doubt Timmy would even try to say it wasn't on purpose. So how ain't he startin' at the back? I mean...I can certainly understand how in the heat of the moment after nearly landing on your lid that you're still shaking from havin' the fear of god put in ya and you're looking for someone to blame. HOWEVER...either hittin' someone under caution is ok or it ain't...and last I heard it werent. Just because Culp only gave him a love tap and an engine rev doesn't make it right. People die that way. Ask Tony Stewart.

Whatever the reason, race control made their decision and it was what it was...a small part of one of the great races of the season. The only down side of that race is that it makes me wish we had another six months of racing ahead of us.

johnE
10-06-2015, 08:29 PM
Culp got the GOLDMINE,

Rickman got the SHAFT!

swartzman
10-07-2015, 09:40 PM
And if you were in the stands it only cost you 20 bucks to witnes..

pink floyd
10-08-2015, 05:23 AM
Culp got the GOLDMINE,

Rickman got the SHAFT!

rickman and McCool got the shaft