PDA

View Full Version : Penske Spring Rod

King1
10-07-2015, 11:35 AM
Anybody having any luck besides the national level guys?

Rocket5353
10-07-2015, 12:16 PM
Whaaaat where do you run this spring rod ? Would love to hear about this !

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-07-2015, 02:32 PM
Anybody having any luck besides the national level guys?

Which national level guys?

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-07-2015, 02:33 PM
Whaaaat where do you run this spring rod ? Would love to hear about this !

Remember the old spring rods that replaced a suspension link? Same deal with a shock incorporated into it.

Punisher88
10-07-2015, 03:54 PM
Where would this be ran on the car? I assume on the left top rod?

billetbirdcage
10-07-2015, 04:48 PM
Here is a picture

http://i.imgur.com/4LoD1O9.jpg

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-07-2015, 04:51 PM
Where would this be ran on the car? I assume on the left top rod?

Depending on what you look to accomplish, about any of the links. Either top rod is common.

Matt49
10-07-2015, 06:52 PM
The theory behind running it on the top right bar used to be that you could reduce rear steer under acceleration (as the rod compressed) and tighten corner exit.
I have my own "idea" on how I think it could help on top left bar to decrease the insane LR suspension stiffness that we experience when the cars are fully hiked. The ACTUAL shock isn't doing much of anything when the car is completely barred up and my theory is that running something like this on the top left bar might help with contact patch compliance on corner exit. No track is perfectly smooth so theoretically this could help with LR traction (i.e. drive) on corner exit, even in "slick" conditions. Again...I could be crazy but this is just something I've thought about.

Rocket5353
10-07-2015, 09:46 PM
Alright that's what I though it was , and I could most certainly see it working in both scenarios left too and right top, next question is what would be a decent spring rate , always ran a 650 on my NE modified

Wheelman33
10-07-2015, 09:57 PM
I could be wrong, but I believe Dirtcar outlawed these this year. Not that they check though.

TheJet-09
10-08-2015, 06:04 PM
Never tried one myself but I recall Doug McCammon having success way back when (around 2000) and he had one on the RR bottom. I would think it'd help take out roll steer (like Matt49 mentioned) but would increase load on the RR spring when the birdcage rotated forward at the bottom, as opposed to the opposite if on the RR upper. Not sure where you'd start with spring rate on the rod itself???

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-08-2015, 06:25 PM
Never tried one myself but I recall Doug McCammon having success way back when (around 2000) and he had one on the RR bottom. I would think it'd help take out roll steer (like Matt49 mentioned) but would increase load on the RR spring when the birdcage rotated forward at the bottom, as opposed to the opposite if on the RR upper. Not sure where you'd start with spring rate on the rod itself???

I used to use one on the right top before the spring behind days. Mid 90s. 1000# spring

dlm25jr
10-08-2015, 06:58 PM

As we were the first dlm team to win a major dirt race with Penske shocks, we did a lot of r-n-d on the tracking dampner. We started out with it on the right top and then moved it to the right bottom. We had to have the body machined shorter, though, to make it fit. We tried it with ALL kinds of dampening inside and usually had the 1050 spring in it. Just could not find enough consistency with it, but that was before the spring behind days. I'm sure with all the new shock technology it could be made to work elsewhere.

missile07
10-09-2015, 11:36 AM
A few local mods tried them on the RR lower a few years back and said when it was good...it was great but also when it was bad...it was real bad! These were not the Penske bars but just a rubber bushing pull bar.

davis2902
10-09-2015, 01:17 PM
Several guys use to run these on the left rear of a 3-link car years ago. Never made much of a difference.

dlm25jr
10-09-2015, 02:32 PM
Getting the valving right on the inside is the key.

On a 3 link mod, we had a lot of success using it on the RR. With a 650 spring, we would get about 3/8 " travel. It made a big difference when the track slicked off. Just keep it hid as most rules don't allow aluminum suspension parts on mods. That was our mistake!