PDA

View Full Version : Jesse Stovall

george w
10-10-2015, 01:52 PM
http://www.news-leader.com/story/sports/2015/10/07/undertaker-looks-wins-wheatland-race-track-use-prize-money/73559310/

Great article here for those that have kepted up on him or followed him thruout the year... sheds a little light on the amount of money it takes to stay out on the road even if your winning....enjoy

Nasty55
10-10-2015, 04:03 PM
http://www.news-leader.com/story/sports/2015/10/07/undertaker-looks-wins-wheatland-race-track-use-prize-money/73559310/

Great article here for those that have kepted up on him or followed him thruout the year... sheds a little light on the amount of money it takes to stay out on the road even if your winning....enjoy

Great article on Jesse..... He is a good guy and definitely can wheel a car that's for sure.... I hope someone picks him up for next yr...

huskerdirt
10-10-2015, 11:40 PM
That hauler he has talking about selling. He just got in like May.

BadlandsBandit12
10-11-2015, 01:40 AM
Sorry but that's just pathetic, those kind of races should pay more. If I was a racer I would not be racing with that group for sure. I think Jesse is going to get his shot at some point. He is a really good driver that has lots of talent.

dirt33
10-11-2015, 09:28 AM
For accuracy's sake, the part of the article that says that all of his wins this year have been for $3000 or less is not exactly correct. Not taking anything away from the author or the article though, as it is appreciated any time local media outlets cover racing. Stovall has had a great year, and I'm certainly not disagreeing with the overall premise that, without some big sponsorship help, you could win every MLRA race all year long and still struggle to fund the operation. Jesse is a good example of a racer who makes the most out of what he has.

CIRF
10-11-2015, 09:28 AM
Back in the late 1970's and 80's there was a driver by the name of Scott Stovall who raced ARCA stock cars (won a couple) and ran a few USAC (and won a couple of them, too) and ASA races, too.

Would Jesse Stovall be related to Scott Stovall that I remember racing at Springfield and Du Quoin back in the day?

hucktyson
10-11-2015, 09:33 AM
You liberals are fuking Classic . Here's the deal the races pay 3k to win . It's up to you if you want to take 350k worth of equipment to try to win 3k. You guys remind me of the unskilled inexperienced laborers who come to me saying they need $25.00 an hour to start because they have 4 kids and live an hour away lol . A guy spending a lot of money racing doesn't make the promoter extra money ...

Barbecueboy
10-11-2015, 09:47 AM
You liberals are fuking Classic . Here's the deal the races pay 3k to win . It's up to you if you want to take 350k worth of equipment to try to win 3k. You guys remind me of the unskilled inexperienced laborers who come to me saying they need $25.00 an hour to start because they have 4 kids and live an hour away lol . A guy spending a lot of money racing doesn't make the promoter extra money ...

He should just leave it on jack stands in the garage and save it for the big races that he has zero chance of making the field in.........im sure he could use some solid advice from the experts, give him a call.

Nasty55
10-11-2015, 09:57 AM

Coming from the jackstand racer himself.... You are nothing more than a fuking tool huck.... You couldn't beat stovall if he was running in reverse let alone forward so go back to your garage put your bicycle helmet on climb up on a ladder into that race car strap yourself in and start going vroom vroom vroom.....

ready2rd
10-11-2015, 10:09 AM
What type rig does Stovall have ?

huskerdirt
10-11-2015, 01:38 PM
Actually Huck has a point.

Do any of you people know how much money Stovall and his team have spent this year???

Nasty55
10-11-2015, 01:56 PM

A big congrats goes out to Jesse on his weekend sweep at wheatland of the MLRA races ...... he has had an awesome yr this yr and definately knows how to make it happen.....

hucktyson
10-11-2015, 03:34 PM
You guys always missunderstand me ..... I'm not talking down on this guy or anyone else. The economics of dirt racing just doesn't work without a major backer. Tracks could never afford to pay the kind of money it would take to make it viable without major backing. Those 3k shows would have to pay every spot at least a grand more to make it viable and That's IF you didn't tear anything up. Now do you think the track owner makes 24k on one of those races ??? I bet he would be happy if he makes 5 on a show like that. So he pays out 24 extra and takes a loss of 19 .... Why on earth would a business owner do that ??? Once engine rebuilds starting costing 13k after 800 laps any chance of having viable economics went out the window. Tracks are maxed out with what they can pay , owners are beyond maxed out with what they can spend . The cost somehow needs controlled. In any business the market sets the price , as the business owner the only thing you control is cost ...

Barbecueboy
10-11-2015, 06:57 PM
Actually Huck has a point.

Do any of you people know how much money Stovall and his team have spent this year???

Not sure if I'm in the ( you people ) group you refer too and I don't really have a clue how much Jesse spends to fund the operation and get it to the track every week( the article said about a grand just to take it to the track each week)....but I have a very good idea of what it takes to put a team on the road.

As for huckys point, it sits at the top of his head under his baseball cap...........

Barbecueboy
10-11-2015, 07:03 PM
You guys always missunderstand me ..... I'm not talking down on this guy or anyone else. The economics of dirt racing just doesn't work without a major backer. Tracks could never afford to pay the kind of money it would take to make it viable without major backing. Those 3k shows would have to pay every spot at least a grand more to make it viable and That's IF you didn't tear anything up. Now do you think the track owner makes 24k on one of those races ??? I bet he would be happy if he makes 5 on a show like that. So he pays out 24 extra and takes a loss of 19 .... Why on earth would a business owner do that ??? Once engine rebuilds starting costing 13k after 800 laps any chance of having viable economics went out the window. Tracks are maxed out with what they can pay , owners are beyond maxed out with what they can spend . The cost somehow needs controlled. In any business the market sets the price , as the business owner the only thing you control is cost ...

If your " ALWAYS" being " misunderstood" perhaps it's the messenger delivering the message and not the messangee listening to it.

Kind of like when you walk into a room and everyone in it are (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)s but you..........it's probably not them.

huskerdirt
10-11-2015, 07:34 PM
Not sure if I'm in the ( you people ) group you refer too and I don't really have a clue how much Jesse spends to fund the operation and get it to the track every week( the article said about a grand just to take it to the track each week)....but I have a very good idea of what it takes to put a team on the road.

As for huckys point, it sits at the top of his head under his baseball cap...........

I was speaking more in terms of equipment they've acquired this year. When you get a nice S&S hauler in May/June. Then have to turn it around in October and sell it to get through the winter. That raises a red flag for me.

Clayton_Wetter
10-11-2015, 07:45 PM
I don't really understand the deal of attacking HUCK on here all the time. Seems like a good guy to me!

kazual
10-11-2015, 07:56 PM
Good exercise in reality. Not counting what the team owner puts in on an annual basis, if you total out just purse monies, sponsorship injections, and souvenir sales I would think there isn't but a handful of late model teams that break even on an annual basis. And that is in a good year.

dirt33
10-11-2015, 08:25 PM
Can't get the quote function to work:

ready2rd: What type rig does Stovall have ?

Of the 3 haulers in a row, his is on the right:
https://www.facebook.com/lucasoilmlra/photos_stream?ref=page_internal#!/lucasoilmlra/photos/pb.341769286752.-2207520000.1444612817./10153504630821753/?type=3&theater

D. Tidrow
10-12-2015, 04:51 AM
If your " ALWAYS" being " misunderstood" perhaps it's the messenger delivering the message and not the messangee listening to it.Kind of like when you walk into a room and everyone in it are (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)s but you..........it's probably not them.This train is always on time.

Barbecueboy
10-12-2015, 07:29 AM
This train is always on time.

And never derails............

Barbecueboy
10-12-2015, 07:36 AM
I don't really understand the deal of attacking HUCK on here all the time. Seems like a good guy to me!

I would suggest a visit to last years bolsterous thread concerning qualifying to an invert for starters..........then a visit to his Twitter feed.

He may be a good guy but he should fire the guy that's doing his self promoting.

fryefan
10-12-2015, 08:09 PM
He should just leave it on jack stands in the garage and save it for the big races that he has zero chance of making the field in.........im sure he could use some solid advice from the experts, give him a call.

I you think that he has zero chance of making the field of a big race, then you are uninformed. He not only made the Show-Me 100, but was a threat to win it. Otherwise, he does not enter many "big events", because he is a low budget racer. He does a lot with a little.

Nasty55
10-12-2015, 08:33 PM
I you think that he has zero chance of making the field of a big race, then you are uninformed. He not only made the Show-Me 100, but was a threat to win it. Otherwise, he does not enter many "big events", because he is a low budget racer. He does a lot with a little.

Fryefan he wasn't talking about Jesse in this comment at all my friend he was referring to huck and his ability to race around in his garage on jackstands going vrooooom vrooooom vrooooom.........

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
10-12-2015, 11:44 PM
Fryefan he wasn't talking about Jesse in this comment at all my friend he was referring to huck and his ability to race around in his garage on jackstands going vrooooom vrooooom vrooooom.........Lol poor ol huck cant make it out of garage. I guess at least he gets a podium finish every time!

Barbecueboy
10-13-2015, 07:41 AM
Fryefan he wasn't talking about Jesse in this comment at all my friend he was referring to huck and his ability to race around in his garage on jackstands going vrooooom vrooooom vrooooom.........

Exactly right nasty........I'm a Stovall fan and enjoy seeing teams do more with less.

As opposed to the village people race team out of pa. who does less with more.........protein pudding anyone???

Smfh

jog49
10-13-2015, 08:16 AM
The first mistake this ambitious team made took place before they even left their shop to race. They bought a hauler!
I'm assuming it was bought because they couldn't sell something they don't own. Nowadays, the travelers, who don't have loads of financial backing, are leasing their rigs. That way, there's no large monetary outlay and easier to walk away.
I went to a dirt track race more than three decades ago. Among the field were moonlighters, Mr. Allison and Mr. Waltrip, who arrived with their nice haulers. A late arrival came in from Richmond, Va. with a "plumbing" truck (some have called it a short version of a bread truck)

jog49
10-13-2015, 08:26 AM
The first mistake this ambitious team made took place before they even left their shop to race. They bought a hauler!
I'm assuming it was bought because they couldn't sell something they don't own. Nowadays, the travelers, who don't have loads of financial backing, are leasing their rigs. That way, there's no large monetary outlay and easier to walk away. The most recent track record holder at Eldora went there with a pickup and enclosed trailer, as far as I know, and parked it among the $500,000 toters and stackers.
I went to a dirt track race more than three decades ago. Among the field were moonlighters, Mr. Allison and Mr. Waltrip, who arrived with their nice haulers. A late arrival came in from Richmond, Va. with a old model "plumbing" truck (some have called it a short version of a bread truck) and a car on a flat trailer with the tire rack over the hood of the race car. Needless to say, the NASCAR drivers attended a clinic on racing that night, as did all the other drivers. It has always stuck with me from that night......"it ain't how you got it there but, rather, what you brung!"

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
10-13-2015, 08:45 AM
The first mistake this ambitious team made took place before they even left their shop to race. They bought a hauler!I'm assuming it was bought because they couldn't sell something they don't own. Nowadays, the travelers, who don't have loads of financial backing, are leasing their rigs. That way, there's no large monetary outlay and easier to walk away. The most recent track record holder at Eldora went there with a pickup and enclosed trailer, as far as I know, and parked it among the $500,000 toters and stackers.I went to a dirt track race more than three decades ago. Among the field were moonlighters, Mr. Allison and Mr. Waltrip, who arrived with their nice haulers. A late arrival came in from Richmond, Va. with a old model "plumbing" truck (some have called it a short version of a bread truck) and a car on a flat trailer with the tire rack over the hood of the race car. Needless to say, the NASCAR drivers attended a clinic on racing that night, as did all the other drivers. It has always stuck with me from that night......"it ain't how you got it there but, rather, what you brung!"Thats how barefoot bob mccreadie use to do back in late 70s early 80s. He would come to racetrack w a suburban towing a open face trailer and spank there a$$. A lot of others had enclosed trailers w fancy haulers.

gatorade
10-16-2015, 10:04 AM
i do want to state before i go on my rant that there is no denying jesse is an awefully good racer

having said that this post is laughable, no one should feel bad for jesse stovall, as all late model guys poor mouth (to an extent, myself included) this takes it overboard...
1. jesse has had ride after ride after ride given to him, paul mekenna, rushing, in and out of what ever hoffman has had for him in between time, victory cirlce house car... Now i know that i have no idea on how those rides materialized or dissolved, but to say he hasnt had the chance is incorrect.
2. MLRA is a regional series, lucas oil has designed a series for professional full time racers, but this is not it.... Yes guys like terry philips, who is also an outstanding racer, has been able to make mlra regional racing a career, but that has come from great backing and he is the only guy in the midwest to be able to do it for a long period of time.
3. The fact that he bought this hauler that has him about under is a math problem not a funding problem...if you add up all the winnings plus point money you can win through the mlra, its like 150k, now its pretty far fetched your going to win all of that so lets just say a good year is half 75k (which sounds close to what he won).... Average hauler on racingjunk is 175k (and his looks better than average), open motor 35k to 42k (lets say he got a deal at 25k), im sure the black diamond wasnt free, wheels, tires, wear and tear etc.... So at the end of the year, running an open motor late model in a regional series, trying to support a family and you cant meet your debt obligation, no SH!t!!!! The calcuator would have told you that in april...

Josh Bayko
10-16-2015, 10:39 AM
Thats how barefoot bob mccreadie use to do back in late 70s early 80s. He would come to racetrack w a suburban towing a open face trailer and spank there a$$. A lot of others had enclosed trailers w fancy haulers.

McCreadie didn't get on the big hauler train back then for a couple reasons. First, he always said "a hauler don't win races", and second, he really didn't have anywhere to park one.

In fairness, though, toters and stackers really weren't a thing in modified back then. A large hauler setup to modified racers was one of them Cabriolet E350 van things Mark Kenyon was building and selling at his dealership or an extended cab f650 or GMC C6500 and a 40 ft enclosed trailer. The toters/stackers didn't really start showing up until the mid 90s-early 00s.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
10-16-2015, 10:50 AM
McCreadie didn't get on the big hauler train back then for a couple reasons. First, he always said "a hauler don't win races", and second, he really didn't have anywhere to park one. In fairness, though, toters and stackers really weren't a thing in modified back then. A large hauler setup to modified racers was one of them Cabriolet E350 van things Mark Kenyon was building and selling at his dealership or an extended cab f650 or GMC C6500 and a 40 ft enclosed trailer. The toters/stackers didn't really start showing up until the mid 90s-early 00s.Yes exactly right josh. I personally watched him do it all the time when I lived up in ny state.

j1s
10-16-2015, 11:27 AM
Here is the deal huck can be a bit of loud mouth and a knucklehead, but he is right when it comes to the financial aspects of DLM racing. For many reasons DLM racing is the best form of motorsports in America, but for most racers it is just a very expensive hobby. For a team/driver to make money you have to have some good sponsors that need a tax write off. Racers need to learn a very simple budgeting trick... it aint the money you make that matters, it is the money you spend that matters. Racing 40 3k to win races with 300 to 400k worth of equipment, many more thousands in recurring cost, and very little sponsorship is not a sound financial move. However, if you don't mind the annual loss have fun racing.

W2Racing09
10-16-2015, 01:27 PM
Here is the deal huck can be a bit of loud mouth and a knucklehead, but he is right when it comes to the financial aspects of DLM racing. For many reasons DLM racing is the best form of motorsports in America, but for most racers it is just a very expensive hobby. For a team/driver to make money you have to have some good sponsors that need a tax write off. Racers need to learn a very simple budgeting trick... it aint the money you make that matters, it is the money you spend that matters. Racing 40 3k to win races with 300 to 400k worth of equipment, many more thousands in recurring cost, and very little sponsorship is not a sound financial move. However, if you don't mind the annual loss have fun racing.

It isn't often I'll agree with Huck but i do on this post. Having been on the promotion side of things this season I can attest that tracks are not making money hand over fist. I would wager that if the purses for all of these events were raised to $5000 to win that there would be significantly fewer races on the schedule at a smaller list of tracks.

I've been saying something needs to be done about motor costs for quite some time, and while crate motors might not be the answer someone needs to come up with something that is because a situation like this is becoming pretty common it seems. If a regional driver like Stovall can't make any money then I find it difficult to believe any regional driver is -- and that is a big problem.

Raising purses might not be possible, but there is still an opportunity to lower expenses in many different areas.

Thanks,
Jeff.

huskerdirt
10-16-2015, 02:24 PM
It isn't often I'll agree with Huck but i do on this post. Having been on the promotion side of things this season I can attest that tracks are not making money hand over fist. I would wager that if the purses for all of these events were raised to $5000 to win that there would be significantly fewer races on the schedule at a smaller list of tracks.

I've been saying something needs to be done about motor costs for quite some time, and while crate motors might not be the answer someone needs to come up with something that is because a situation like this is becoming pretty common it seems. If a regional driver like Stovall can't make any money then I find it difficult to believe any regional driver is -- and that is a big problem.

Raising purses might not be possible, but there is still an opportunity to lower expenses in many different areas.

Thanks,
Jeff.

It's not Stovall isn't making money.... He's spending too much. You count his wins along with his other finishes. He's probably flirting with the 100k mark. Now compare that with the national touring guys and he's in decent company.

I guess at the end of the day you have to decide whether you want another black diamond, a nice stacker and merchandise trailer or have enough money to make it through the winter.

Winning all those 3k and 5k shows is just like running top 5 in a 10k Lucas/WoO show.

W2Racing09
10-16-2015, 02:35 PM
It's not Stovall isn't making money.... He's spending too much. You count his wins along with his other finishes. He's probably flirting with the 100k mark. Now compare that with the national touring guys and he's in decent company.

I guess at the end of the day you have to decide whether you want another black diamond, a nice stacker and merchandise trailer or have enough money to make it through the winter.

Winning all those 3k and 5k shows is just like running top 5 in a 10k Lucas/WoO show.

That is just it though, the rules pretty much dictate that you spend more money than you can possibly make. The purses are not going to go up so some limits need to be put in place or you will eventually have just the three or four guys who can lose infinite money running a series.

Do you think Jesse would have had so much success were he running a 2007 Rocket, or a 2010 GRT? I doubt it. The Black Diamond was a necessary expense, as is a decent hauler. He probably does not need a stacker, but you need a toter to sleep in when you are running a series that goes all over the Mid West. Otherwise you are sleeping in hotels or the like and spending money there. Of course those are not the type of things that can be limited, but money spent on shocks, tires, and especially motors and the recurring very high costs involved are what needs addressed. Not many people are going to make money or even come close to breaking even if, as Huck stated, they are paying $13k every 800 laps to get their motor freshened.

What can be done about it? I don't know -- I'm not much of a tech guy. But almost any spectator sport has a pretty simple formula that needs to be followed in order for it to grow.

The track needs to be making money, in order for the track to make money they either need to A) Make money at the front gate by getting a lot of fans or B) make money through the back gate with modest payouts and high car counts. The problem is that the drivers don't spend a modest amount of money on their cars, and they expect the track to spend more than a modest amount of money on the purse. As it sits now the tracks and drivers are losing money on a regular basis and that is not sustainable.

huskerdirt
10-16-2015, 02:59 PM
That is just it though, the rules pretty much dictate that you spend more money than you can possibly make. The purses are not going to go up so some limits need to be put in place or you will eventually have just the three or four guys who can lose infinite money running a series.

Do you think Jesse would have had so much success were he running a 2007 Rocket, or a 2010 GRT? I doubt it. The Black Diamond was a necessary expense, as is a decent hauler. He probably does not need a stacker, but you need a toter to sleep in when you are running a series that goes all over the Mid West. Otherwise you are sleeping in hotels or the like and spending money there. Of course those are not the type of things that can be limited, but money spent on shocks, tires, and especially motors and the recurring very high costs involved are what needs addressed. Not many people are going to make money or even come close to breaking even if, as Huck stated, they are paying $13k every 800 laps to get their motor freshened.

What can be done about it? I don't know -- I'm not much of a tech guy. But almost any spectator sport has a pretty simple formula that needs to be followed in order for it to grow.

The track needs to be making money, in order for the track to make money they either need to A) Make money at the front gate by getting a lot of fans or B) make money through the back gate with modest payouts and high car counts. The problem is that the drivers don't spend a modest amount of money on their cars, and they expect the track to spend more than a modest amount of money on the purse. As it sits now the tracks and drivers are losing money on a regular basis and that is not sustainable.

Jesse had a decent hauler before. It wasn't a stacker, but it was toter with a single car enclosed trailer.

No Jesse wouldn't have as much success with an older car. He ran that older Pierce last year. He was decent but nothing like he was this year. Like I said I get why they got the car, but did you really need to get another one if money was that tight? RC Whitwell ran for Al Humphrey on the MLRA tour this year. They did it with a single car hauler and a 2011 Moyer Victory Circle at every race. They only got one win, but I bet they spent significantly less money than his fellow competitors.

You can roll into the track in style.... But what difference does it make if you are just as broke as the guy across the pit area that didn't buy one single brand new component for his race car.

A lot of guys seem to make it work, but they have jobs in the off season. Stovall isn't one of them.

rickybrown1952
10-16-2015, 04:00 PM
Anybody know if stoval is running this weekend or not if so where

huskerdirt
10-16-2015, 04:10 PM
Anybody know if stoval is running this weekend or not if so where

Not sure if they are. If they do it'll more than likely be at West Plains. 2k and 3k to win this weekend.

Edit..... Stovall is indeed racing West Plains this weekend.