PDA

View Full Version : Syracuse Mile!

D. Tidrow
10-12-2015, 02:27 AM
Why are we as dirt fans doing more to save it????

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
10-12-2015, 06:55 AM

Nothing to be saved

It races there once a yr. The race will still be ran every yr at a new track.

Barbecueboy
10-12-2015, 07:37 AM
Nothing to be saved

It races there once a yr. The race will still be ran every yr at a new track.

Good point........

manwplan
10-12-2015, 07:48 AM

In this instance dirt fans and race teams have done their part. You can't stop the government from doing what they want.

MontanaMagic1619*
10-12-2015, 08:01 AM
It's time for the old place to go, the hole ( or should I say crater ) going into turn one has been there for thirty years and was still prevelant there yesterday, the back stretch is horrible and worn down, and the only saving grace is coming outa' turn four and down the front chute, and how do I know this ? I took my brothers 358 around the place a dozen years ago and it was like being on a motocross track.

The new facility should be a major upgrade, only problem is Donnelly is involved, and I'm not a big fan of his. All dirt modified drivers should be paid more than what they're getting, they're still running basically for the same money they ran for three decades ago. That's just my two cents worth of opinion.

Fast Wheels
10-12-2015, 08:41 AM
Like Pennsboro, the mile was about tradition but the racing was horrible. A new facility should be a major upgrade to this race.

As far as Donnelly goes, don't the Mods in NY run for better money weekly than the Late Models do? I'm thinking they get $2,000 for a weekly show. When Donnelly was involved, you used to see real sponsors like Pillsbury, Eckerd Drugs, Mrs. T's Perogies etc on the cars. You don't see that kind of sponsorship any more. Only sponsors that like racing and throw money at it. He may have not done everything perfect, but Mod racing was better off when he was in control of DIRT versus the group that has it now.......

DoubleZero
10-12-2015, 08:46 AM
The state of NY owns the facility, the "Moody Mile", the decision was made to demolish the race track and the grandstand to make way for an 'equestrian facility'. Glen Donnelly is definitely involved in the up-grade....he purchased the 150 acres that will become the "Central NY Raceway Park" in 1990...knowing the days of the fairgrounds were numbered. The new 1/2 mile, Donnelly-developved-synthetic-dirt equipped facility will become the home of 'Super Dirt Week' beginning in 2016. The state of NY has already allocated $7.5 mil, in grants and aid, towards the $50 million facility. Once finished, the park, located about 20 miles from Syracuse, will include a 2.2 mile road course, a 56-bay NASCAR-style garage area, and state-of-the-art-LED-lighting and acoustics, will operate year-round, including harness-racing in the winter on the 1/2 mile, and auto-cross events on the road course. Donnelly is currently testing his "SYNDI" synthetic dirt with a 70% application at the Donnelly-promoted "Rolling Wheels Raceway"......it's very expensive, but it's
dust free, sheds water, remains tacky, and is not "lost" by sticking to race cars.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
10-12-2015, 09:00 AM
Rolling wheels only runs special shows so therefore there testing the new surface is only good for a handfull of races.

Josh Bayko
10-12-2015, 09:22 AM
The state of NY owns the facility, the "Moody Mile", the decision was made to demolish the race track and the grandstand to make way for an 'equestrian facility'. Glen Donnelly is definitely involved in the up-grade....he purchased the 150 acres that will become the "Central NY Raceway Park" in 1990...knowing the days of the fairgrounds were numbered. The new 1/2 mile, Donnelly-developved-synthetic-dirt equipped facility will become the home of 'Super Dirt Week' beginning in 2016. The state of NY has already allocated $7.5 mil, in grants and aid, towards the $50 million facility. Once finished, the park, located about 20 miles from Syracuse, will include a 2.2 mile road course, a 56-bay NASCAR-style garage area, and state-of-the-art-LED-lighting and acoustics, will operate year-round, including harness-racing in the winter on the 1/2 mile, and auto-cross events on the road course. Donnelly is currently testing his "SYNDI" synthetic dirt with a 70% application at the Donnelly-promoted "Rolling Wheels Raceway"......it's very expensive, but it's
dust free, sheds water, remains tacky, and is not "lost" by sticking to race cars.

You might want to talk to people who have actually been to Rolling Wheels since they put the SYNDI down (and the time they tested it at Brewerton a few years back, for that matter) about dust free. It's anything but.

DoubleZero
10-12-2015, 12:54 PM
Rolling Wheels is not 100% Synthetic

Josh Bayko
10-12-2015, 01:09 PM
Rolling Wheels is not 100% Synthetic

And that doesn't matter. So far, any usage of it has been an epic failure for car racing on dirt. Not only is it still dusty, it's ridiculously hard on tires. Racing dirt tires on asphalt is less abrasive than SYNDI.

70satomic
10-12-2015, 04:37 PM
I always watched it on tv because there wasn't any other race on at the time anyway it just looked like a train track very little passing

BTExpress
10-12-2015, 06:32 PM
You went to Syracuse for the party, camping and atmosphere, plus all the satellite races at Weedsport, Rolling Wheels, etc. By the end of the fives days you definitely got your racing fix. The lore of racing on the mile was the race strategy with fuel mileage and pit stops. You basically had a bunch of Saturday night racers who had to learn the ways of being a NASCAR team once a year. The other thing about Syracuse in October was the weather....... very unpredictable. Could be short sleeve weather one year and snow flurries the next. All five times I went over the years was very enjoyable and entertaining. It will be hard to dublicate