PDA

View Full Version : Front End Geometry

ddsprint
10-16-2015, 12:55 PM
Where does one find the information and formulas for this process? Thanks

Anonymous24
10-16-2015, 01:53 PM
Correct info is hard to find and often difficult for many to understand. Best source I can recommend is Race Car Vehicle Dynamics by Milliken and Milliken. The book is expensive but contains much knowledge.

Matt49
10-16-2015, 04:18 PM
There are plenty of good resources out there on front end geometry. Front end geometry as a whole is about a lot more than just roll center or even roll center migration. Camber curves, caster curves, and anti-dive are all important aspects of this stuff.
To find these dynamic aspects of front end geometry, you really need to have some computer software that does this kind of thing. There are several out there.

95shaw
10-18-2015, 03:25 PM
Afco tech tips booklet has method on determining where roll center is located. also circle track magazine has a series of articles about location and movement. Although I don't always agree with their conclusions, it is good information to get you started on this complicated subject.

After you get a basic understanding, lay your front end out full scale on concrete floor. Move some pickup points to see how this affects geometry. Will get you started.

Racer96m
10-18-2015, 06:37 PM
Graphing it out full scale is key for me. I always use the back side of some old Christmas wrapping paper, everyone has that. Attending one of the many chassis setup schools is well worth the money. The Race Wise school by Mark Bush covers the front end stuff very well, and the classes start in early January.

Dave

Dirt Dobber
10-19-2015, 04:23 PM
What are good numbers for roll center height, roll center left or right and camber gain on a dirt mod?

Dirt Dobber
10-19-2015, 04:24 PM
I should add to the above post.. 4-bar car with metric clip and nova lowers with pinto spindles

Anonymous24
10-20-2015, 11:37 PM
Lots of places to find the information. ^^^^ that guy is a joke I have him on the ignore list so I cant see his post, but I would bet he didn't really answer your question, probably talked in a circle about it... http://www.bing.com/search?q=front+roll+center+explained&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IESR02&pc=U147This guy i swear. Look forward to meeting this punk at the track one day

LFMotorsports
10-22-2015, 04:30 PM
As Dave mentioned above. I went to the Mark Bush school a few years ago. Some is pretty deep, other items seem to click afterwards. But you will learn a few things and get the tools needed. He has a decent software package if you spend the time mapping out the pivot points, you can see what your changes do to the center of gravity, moment center, etc. I still think it doesn't take some of the guessing out of it, but definately gives you the tools to make better decisions. Each chassis is different so the "right or correct" values may be hard to come by. Knowing what you change and what it changes helps. Good luck.

missile07
10-23-2015, 10:41 AM
I had a friend wanting to rework an older grt to the newer grt settings. The only advice I had was to find someone with a newer GRT nice enough to let you measure and/or possibly give you the roll center (height & side to side) measurements. I dont think many manufacturers are willing to hand out that info to just anyone. Does anyone know where a stock GRT or Shaw starts at on the roll center?