PDA

View Full Version : DoD top 25

waaac77
10-22-2015, 05:29 PM
Bloomer #1??? JD had one of the best years in the history of the sport. I can only assume it's a top 25 of the latest hot drivers instead of an overall year long ranking type system. Does anyone know how far back they go? These rankings must be from the silver dollar until now? Even then I think I'd still put JD #1. I like Bloomer but I know JD had a better year. These rankings are (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)ed

drano
10-22-2015, 06:57 PM
JD had one year Bloomer has had a whole career of winning.

rickybrown1952
10-22-2015, 06:59 PM
Did they really put bloomquist in as #1 that's rediculouis their is no doubt who is #1 Davenport

zyoung25
10-22-2015, 07:15 PM
JD had one year Bloomer has had a whole career of winning.

If you wanna go off of drivers careers, like you say. Not very many names from today's racers would be on there. The DoD guys have said several times how they do these rankings, it has nothing to do with drivers careers. It doesn't make sense to me either, it makes for a good discussion.

I'd say it had to do with Bloomquist pretty much dominating the dtwc and JD finishing 13th.

drano
10-22-2015, 07:33 PM
If you wanna go off of drivers careers, like you say. Not very many names from today's racers would be on there. The DoD guys have said several times how they do these rankings, it has nothing to do with drivers careers. It doesn't make sense to me either, it makes for a good discussion.

I'd say it had to do with Bloomquist pretty much dominating the dtwc and JD finishing 13th.

I know how their rankings go.

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
10-22-2015, 07:57 PM
I think it was dtwc finish

klemmabyna
10-22-2015, 09:45 PM
didn't I participate in this very same discussion a month or so ago?

it's an opinion poll. and until DOD posts the voters and their weekly ballot it is nothing more than a hit count/ add $ generator to the site. give them credit. job well done.

is the "A-team" sam h. still out there somewhere? i'd listen to his debate of rankings.

but as I said before: I know a couple of the voters. and have very little respect for the depth of knowledge they have when forming their opinions.

Bloomquist has had a great year. but Davenport put together a season for the ages.

and the results of the poll only exposes it's flaws,

jmo.

flagone
10-22-2015, 10:33 PM
Until all drivers are all racing at the same venue at the same time ANY ranking system is an opinion poll. Just like the college football polls.

Its still a good gauge of the current top 25 racers in the country. I am a voter and sometimes I don't agree with the masses. This week I wasn't in town to vote and therefore Davenport had one less vote than he would have had if I had been. Which would have put them tied for first place votes. Not sure how the tie gets broken honestly. The POWER rankings on DoD seem to end up lending themselves to most recent performances and not the season as a whole.

Highside Hustler25
10-23-2015, 05:17 AM
Until all drivers are all racing at the same venue at the same time ANY ranking system is an opinion poll.
Agreed. Perfect example...Madden at #3.

must be a lot of SC voters. Does anyone think Madden who spent the year chasing regional shows had a better year than Clanton:confused:SMFH!

play4kps
10-23-2015, 07:52 AM
Madden # 3 what a joke! Clanton, Josh Richards, Brandon Shepherd belong higher, hell even Jesse Stovall or Dustin Linville, How is he not in the top 25 ? Madden didn't even show up at DTWC! No lucas oil wins or world of outlaw wins! and #3 really!

Bubstr
10-23-2015, 01:32 PM
Never take these polls serious. They scoop a cow pie up and sling it at the barn door to see what sticks. They may run up a flag, but we don't have to salute.

If DOD expects any respect for their ranking system, there is a distinct possibility, they need a better polling crew and guide lines for voting criteria.

fryefan
10-23-2015, 10:33 PM
Any poll for this year that does not have JD in the number one spot is a farce, period.

huskerdirt
10-23-2015, 11:37 PM
Do any of you that are b!tching actually know how the poll works?

Amazing all these experts on here haven't once mentioned what the point difference was between the two or how the first place votes were distributed. Or even how it was distributed the weeks leading up to this point.

None of you have mentioned that Bloomer got the one spot right before the World. Then Davenport got on another little run. When there was an off week.... JD went fishing and Bloomer went racing. Believe it or not that matters.... Why do you think Clanton has dropped a couple of spots.

None of you outside flagone don't even have the slightest idea how this works.

Bubstr
10-24-2015, 02:04 AM

Amazing all these experts on here haven't once mentioned what the point difference was between the two or how the first place votes were distributed. Or even how it was distributed the weeks leading up to this point.

None of you have mentioned that Bloomer got the one spot right before the World. Then Davenport got on another little run. When there was an off week.... JD went fishing and Bloomer went racing. Believe it or not that matters.... Why do you think Clanton has dropped a couple of spots.

Perhaps, you could enlighten us about the intricacies of said poll. Especially how one makes a big show and has mechanical trouble and looses 3 spots and at the same race another fails to make the show, wins the consolation race and only looses 1 spot. How does one guy miss a weekend and drops 3 positions and another is done for the season a couple weeks ago looses only 2 spots. How about the ones that run against tour competition full time and don't get credit for the strength of competition.

It really doesn't make a difference to me. I have my own poll. It's wiped clean before each race and posted as the finish. Polls like this are just for kicks and giggles. Some agree and some don't.

Nasty55
10-24-2015, 05:14 AM

I agree with flagones assessment of said polls....... But what gives husker? I mean come on now your getting to where your starting to sound like the Pennsylvania pole beater....... A racing expert in your own mind!!

onlyfacts
10-24-2015, 07:17 AM
didn't I participate in this very same discussion a month or so ago?it's an opinion poll. and until DOD posts the voters and their weekly ballot it is nothing more than a hit count/ add $ generator to the site. give them credit. job well done. is the "A-team" sam h. still out there somewhere? i'd listen to his debate of rankings.but as I said before: I know a couple of the voters. and have very little respect for the depth of knowledge they have when forming their opinions.Bloomquist has had a great year. but Davenport put together a season for the ages. and the results of the poll only exposes it's flaws,jmo.I agree 100%. I don't pay a whole lot of attention to this poll anymore because it has become a popularity contest more than anything else. DOD has it to draw interest to their site but I think ppl are figuring out it is more BS than anything else. Look at Owens he has been ranked most of the year in the top 5 and a lot in the top 3 this year. Now do I think Owens is a Good driver-Yes but has he had a good year- No. At one point this year Owens was still getting some first place votes and he hadn't won a lucas race yet and still has only won one and no WOO or Ump races. Then Madden comes back and wins a few regional races the goes to Eldora and doesn't finish well and now he is in the top three.... Then I see Flagone saying davenport went fishing and Bloomquist raced.... What about Madden did he go fishing and that doesn't matter because flagone is a voter and Madden is from his home town. DOD poll was way more interesting and made some sense when it was the original three voters. Now it is a group of ppl that vote for their favorites each week.. DOD should list all the voters names with their votes each week. Then maybe these voters would actually research a little more about who is actualy performing and who isn't instead of voting for their favorites.

johnE
10-24-2015, 08:23 AM
I'm a Madden fan but his short season wouldn't deserve #3 if he had won every race he entered since his "comeback." I do take issue with the comment that he didn't finish well at Eldora, he was 7th.

But if Bloomer, JD, and Madden were all at Cherokee tonight I'd bet that trifecta.

So maybe the voters consider only where they think a racer's program is RIGHT NOW. In that context, the rankings make more sense.

klemmabyna
10-24-2015, 09:44 AM
husker: glad to see you have become more enlightened than the rest of us since the end of august.

http://www.4m.net/showthread.php?349769-DoD-Top-25

"Do any of you that are b!tching actually know how the poll works?"

"None of you outside flagone don't even have the slightest idea how this works."

Do you have a vote? did you have bloomquist over davenport in the poll being discussed? please provide clarification: is this a season long poll or does it start from scratch as soon as the last poll is released?

i'm just looking for explanaitions, not some snobbish "i'm better than you" rant.

huskerdirt
10-24-2015, 09:51 AM
Perhaps, you could enlighten us about the intricacies of said poll. Especially how one makes a big show and has mechanical trouble and looses 3 spots and at the same race another fails to make the show, wins the consolation race and only looses 1 spot. How does one guy miss a weekend and drops 3 positions and another is done for the season a couple weeks ago looses only 2 spots. How about the ones that run against tour competition full time and don't get credit for the strength of competition.

It really doesn't make a difference to me. I have my own poll. It's wiped clean before each race and posted as the finish. Polls like this are just for kicks and giggles. Some agree and some don't.

It's an opinion poll. DoD asks for 30 of them every week. Then this is what it spits out..... This information is in front of your face every single week. No joke.

I have explained this over and over.

All these scenarios you have brought up don't do any good because each week it can be different based on what the other competition does. All you 4m experts want a an exact formula equation to all of this. There isn't one. This isn't a poll strictly by computer data like SDLMR or whatever. It's merely a human "opinion" poll.

This is why I say some of you have no clue. You are not gonna get an exact equation in a human opinion based poll.

Bubstr
10-24-2015, 11:05 AM
It's an opinion poll. DoD asks for 30 of them every week. Then this is what it spits out..... This information is in front of your face every single week. No joke.

I have explained this over and over.

All these scenarios you have brought up don't do any good because each week it can be different based on what the other competition does. All you 4m experts want a an exact formula equation to all of this. There isn't one. This isn't a poll strictly by computer data like SDLMR or whatever. It's merely a human "opinion" poll.

This is why I say some of you have no clue. You are not gonna get an exact equation in a human opinion based poll.

Never take these polls serious. They scoop a cow pie up and sling it at the barn door to see what sticks. They may run up a flag, but we don't have to salute.

If DOD expects any respect for their ranking system, there is a distinct possibility, they need a better polling crew and guide lines for voting criteria.

Thank you, it seems some of us bitching, did know how this works.

Barbecueboy
10-24-2015, 11:43 AM
Wow, two a holes going back and forth and I actually agree with one of them.......very uncommon.

cstyles
10-24-2015, 03:16 PM
Well lets look at the big picture, I am sure there is a lot more put into this than who won more races. It is probably done kind of the same way that college football, basketball, and professional sports do their polls and power rankings. Davenport had a great early and mid season but Scott came on hard at the end of the season. If you look at the numbers since Scott started his surge towards the end of August they went head to head 11 times with Scott winning 6 of those and Davenport 3. Scott having an average finish of 4.9, and Davenport 8th. In those calculations there was 1 time that Scott broke and one time Davenport broke, the same race in Knoxville. One of the races Davenport didnt even make because he broke in the B Main. The last 8 Lucas Oil points races Scott won 6 of them and Davenport 1 in head to head competition. So I would think if you do the math and look at the big picture for right now than Scott is the number 1 driver in the country. This is just my opinion on the way I see things.

TUTY
10-24-2015, 06:01 PM
Just ask Huskerdirt he knows everything just ask him.

onlyfacts
10-24-2015, 06:02 PM
Well lets look at the big picture, I am sure there is a lot more put into this than who won more races. It is probably done kind of the same way that college football, basketball, and professional sports do their polls and power rankings. Davenport had a great early and mid season but Scott came on hard at the end of the season. If you look at the numbers since Scott started his surge towards the end of August they went head to head 11 times with Scott winning 6 of those and Davenport 3. Scott having an average finish of 4.9, and Davenport 8th. In those calculations there was 1 time that Scott broke and one time Davenport broke, the same race in Knoxville. One of the races Davenport didnt even make because he broke in the B Main. The last 8 Lucas Oil points races Scott won 6 of them and Davenport 1 in head to head competition. So I would think if you do the math and look at the big picture for right now than Scott is the number 1 driver in the country. This is just my opinion on the way I see things.Ok cstyles you work for DOD and you want to justify this poll. It doesn't matter which way you rank davenport or Bloomquist they are the top two and in my option not popularity these are the top two drivers this year in dirt latemodel racing. But the issues I see with your poll is for the most part it is a popularity poll because of the system you use. A lot like ball sports like you have mentioned. But When you have a driver like Owens that is a great driver but has had a off season by his norm that is ranked above other drivers that has had better seasons it shows your system is not right. Don't call it the Top 25 poll when it really isn't.