PDA

View Full Version : 20 quick things that are wrong with short track racing.

HoosierDirtFan
10-26-2015, 11:17 PM
20 quick things that are wrong with short track racing.
Link to article below.
http://www.racersguide.com/20-quick-things-that-are-wrong-with-short-track-racing/

flagone
10-27-2015, 09:48 AM
Good little piece. Agree with most of it too.

acetone
10-27-2015, 02:29 PM
what do you consider a good price is for a weekly show?

huskerdirt
10-27-2015, 02:57 PM
what do you consider a good price is for a weekly show?

In 1997 it was 10 bucks for 4 classes and about 85-90 cars.

In 2015 it is 10 bucks for 6 classes and about 120-160 cars.

I don't understand where people get the notion that it is "too expensive" to go to a weekly show. Maybe they don't understand the difference between a weekly show and special event.

J20in1st
10-27-2015, 05:46 PM
In 1997 it was 10 bucks for 4 classes and about 85-90 cars.

In 2015 it is 10 bucks for 6 classes and about 120-160 cars.

I don't understand where people get the notion that it is "too expensive" to go to a weekly show. Maybe they don't understand the difference between a weekly show and special event.

What track is that?
Around me 97, I'm watching 4-5 classes 130-150 cars for $8

Now 5-8 classes for 100cars. $12

Clayton_Wetter
10-27-2015, 06:06 PM
Many tracks are about $15 for a regular race. Ten dollar tracks would be pretty rare.

let-r-eat
10-27-2015, 06:12 PM
I'd say the dust has ran off more potential fans than the price. A feature race that you can't see will never have much value to a fan.

Tracks and racers need to work together instead of against each other.

huskerdirt
10-27-2015, 06:15 PM
What track is that?
Around me 97, I'm watching 4-5 classes 130-150 cars for $8

Now 5-8 classes for 100cars. $12

Pretty much every track in Nebraska and western Iowa charges 10 bucks for admission. I-80, Eagle(which has the most cars), McCool, Beatrice, Corning, Harlan. Just go to there websites and look.

Back in 97 or so most tracks weren't getting over a 100 cars every weekly show in my area. In fact Eagle only ran two classes on Saturday night. 360 sprints and IMCA modifieds. Imagine the complaining if there was only 70 cars and the show still took 3.5 hours to complete. Now that track runs 6 classes, 160 cars and it takes 4.5 hours to run on most nights. Guess what they still charge $10 to get in.

So I could really make the argument that fans were getting ripped off more then than they are now.

Josh Bayko
10-27-2015, 06:19 PM
Tracks around my way are 12-14 dollars at the front gate, including Lernerville's vaunted 3 headline division weekly show. Back gates are typically 25-30 bucks.

huskerdirt
10-27-2015, 06:25 PM
Tracks around my way are 12-14 dollars at the front gate, including Lernerville's vaunted 3 headline division weekly show. Back gates are typically 25-30 bucks.

That type of weekly show would be worth paying 12-14 bucks.

No doubt, the back gate price has doubled since the mid 90s.

TS FAN
10-27-2015, 07:40 PM
When I started going to races it was 75 cent to maybe a 1.00. Same as what a movie cost. Nothing has changed. You see an evening of racing for the same cost as a movie. Pretty fair IMO.

Hoosier
10-27-2015, 07:44 PM
My best ideas: start on time, and start the feature no later than 9:30 or 10:00. The feature doesn't have to be the last race of the night.

Josh Bayko
10-27-2015, 08:12 PM
That type of weekly show would be worth paying 12-14 bucks.

No doubt, the back gate price has doubled since the mid 90s.

Just about all tracks charge the same out here, Lernerville is the only one who regularly has three headliners. Every place else is back gate heaven.

WVRACEFAN
10-28-2015, 06:54 AM
The local tracks I attend are Tyler co. & Elkins both are $10 for regular shows. The others I go to Ohio Valley, Legendary Hilltop are both $15 & Roaring Knob is $12. It is when these tracks have specials is when the prices are drastically different. I would honestly pay extra to see a 3-4 division show to me the amount of classes & the time it takes to run the show is what run people off. I think anything more than 4 classes is too much.

rc24
10-28-2015, 08:05 AM
(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) TS!!! How old are you? LOL I can remember 6 dollars to get in. Most tracks in my area are 10 to 12 in my area now.

fastford
10-28-2015, 08:44 AM
the only problem I have with gate fees here locally is to get in the stands, its 10 bucks, same as its been for years, and 12 and under is free, but to get in the pits, its 25 and 4 and under is free. 25 is to much to pay for a 5 or 6 year old. My biggest complaint over all would be number 15 on the list, not enough tech, especially in crates.

fastford
10-28-2015, 09:02 AM
may be fred, but most concert goers only go to one or two concerts a year, I have friends trying to race in street stocks and pony classes , because that's what they can afford, with 3 or 4 kids and a wife, that's 125 to 150 just to get in, every sat night. I know the back gate pays the purses, but at least make it the same as the front on the age thing...JMO

fastford
10-28-2015, 09:22 AM
is there anything not foolish about racing anymore?

pink floyd
10-28-2015, 09:40 AM
When I started going to races it was 75 cent to maybe a 1.00. Same as what a movie cost. Nothing has changed. You see an evening of racing for the same cost as a movie. Pretty fair IMO.

I can remember paying 50 cents, then 1.00, then 2.00, and now 12.00 to 15.00 at most tracks which is very reasonable.

Josh Bayko
10-28-2015, 10:29 AM
is there anything not foolish about racing anymore?

Well one thing that's not foolish about racing is making sure your safety equipment is the best that's available.

TS FAN
10-28-2015, 10:31 AM
My Grandfather built the first dirt track in Cincy area back in 1949, My parents worked the concessions, and i was a little tyke sitting in the stands. I believe the cost was .50 to get in.

zach51
10-28-2015, 11:41 AM
Not to sound mean, but if you have 4 kids and can't afford to race, that is a YOU problem. Don't blame the promoter. Kids are fantastic don't get me wrong (wish I had some of my own), but I don't want to hear the argument about how you can't afford it. Take some personal responsibility.

fastford
10-28-2015, 04:22 PM
first off, I don't have 4 kids, if I did I m sure I would not be racing, im just saying that making a parent pay full admission for a 5 year old to get in the pits with you is ridicules , sure you could drop them off at the front where they get in free, but then some one has to watch them. every one cant afford to race a late model, so there is cheaper classes for them, like one of the 20 points mentioned, don't put them down. if the tracks don't start embracing ALL racers and try to help, then this whole discussion is probably irrelevant anyway.

fastford
10-28-2015, 04:23 PM
Not to sound mean, but if you have 4 kids and can't afford to race, that is a YOU problem. Don't blame the promoter. Kids are fantastic don't get me wrong (wish I had some of my own), but I don't want to hear the argument about how you can't afford it. Take some personal responsibility.

do you race? just curious.

huskerdirt
10-28-2015, 04:35 PM
first off, I don't have 4 kids, if I did I m sure I would not be racing, im just saying that making a parent pay full admission for a 5 year old to get in the pits with you is ridicules , sure you could drop them off at the front where they get in free, but then some one has to watch them. every one cant afford to race a late model, so there is cheaper classes for them, like one of the 20 points mentioned, don't put them down. if the tracks don't start embracing ALL racers and try to help, then this whole discussion is probably irrelevant anyway.

Who is making them pay full price? There is an alternative it's the called the grandstand. Not to long ago, most tracks had a strict age restriction on getting into the pits. Quite frankly I wish tracks would go back to that.

zach51
10-28-2015, 04:46 PM
I no longer race, I did for 8 years. I decided I no longer wanted to spend the money. My point being, if you have 10 kids or no kids, don't stretch your family thin. Nobody will think you are less of a man on monday mornings at the gas station before work while you are getting your biscuit because you didn't bring the racecar out saturday night. That's all I'm saying. It's ok to not be able to afford it. I would love to still drive, but I was a fan first anyways, so I enjoy watching just as well.

zach51
10-28-2015, 04:52 PM
And I don't see where anybody was putting down the lower classes. Nothing wrong with racing a lower class, just don't complain to me about having to buy tires and diapers in the same week. If a couple of pit passes are going to make or break you (and when I say "you" I don't mean you personally just anybody in proximity to this text), you might consider selling the racecar or parking it for a while.

acetone
10-28-2015, 05:36 PM
And I don't see where anybody was putting down the lower classes. Nothing wrong with racing a lower class, just don't complain to me about having to buy tires and diapers in the same week. If a couple of pit passes are going to make or break you (and when I say "you" I don't mean you personally just anybody in proximity to this text), you might consider selling the racecar or parking it for a while.
what he said. also the people with 200,000 haulers complaining about the price.

HEAVY DUTY
10-28-2015, 07:23 PM
I guess I am old but, I remember when drivers got in free, and only 3 people were allowed in the pits with a car. Women and children had to go to the grandstands. This was at a Nascar weekly track. Everybody who went in the pits had to wear white pants, so they could be seen by the drivers. They had a womens division, and the women came out of the stands, raced, and then went back to the stands. They had less fighting then. The tracks made it back then thru the front gate, not the back. The drivers are putting on the show, why are they having to pay for the show they are putting on. The promoters have gotten somewhat lazy by thinking, we will just charge 3 times as much to get in the pits as the stands, and not worry about putting on a show to put people in the grandstands. Do actors pay to be a star in a movie? Why are racers treated any different? We get charged 30 to 35 dollars for pit passes at a regular show around here. Then they charge us 10 more for transponders, or 5 if we use our own transponder. They charge a driver 2 pit passes if he runs 2 classes of cars. Then they have entry fees, when they have a big show. The grandstands are empty, the weeds need cut, and the tracks are pretty much unraceable, but that is all we have. I love traveling out of the area to race, but that isn't always an option. When I go other places, to a really racey, nice prepared track, I hear the drivers complaining about how bad it is there. I tell them," you should have to race where I do, you would appreciate this track more" Some of them tell me," If I had to race where you race, I would quit". Sadly, that is what is happening. People are quitting, and the promoters think it is just the economy. But what it amounts to is, racing has always, and will always cost a lot, but when it isn't as much fun as the cost, it is time to quit. If your racetrack is well prepared, not hard on equipment, and racey, the fun to cost ratio is a lot more positive, and racers will find a way to keep racing. If the tracks are one groove, hard on tires, motors and sheetmetal, the racers don't have fun, and the fun to cost ratio becomes negative, they soon quit.

fastford
10-29-2015, 09:04 AM
well said HEAVY DUTY. zach51, I do still race, but I race within my means, my family comes first , period. the part about putting down the lower classes comes from point number 13 on the list this thread was started about, which I happen to agree with. every one has had to make sacrifices when it comes to racing in this day and age. if a track does not cater to the racers , then you lose racers, if you lose racers, then you lose fans, if you lose fans, then there less money for the track to help the racers. to make this circle work, EVERYONE has to contribute, and it has to start with the track. ive never operated a track, but ive been a fan and a racer , and if I go to a track that is ran poorly, I rarely go back. I also seriously doubt the ones with the 200,000 dollar haulers are complaining about money as mentioned above.

Josh Bayko
10-29-2015, 10:08 AM
I also seriously doubt the ones with the 200,000 dollar haulers are complaining about money as mentioned above.

It happens, and it happens often. In my experiences, the guys with the most money in their operations are the first ones to whine about how much racing costs.

zach51
10-29-2015, 11:00 AM
Bloomer is a prime example. But I'm not so sure that I would considering it "whining", I think those guys just realize thats where the sport is now and you gotta pay if you want to play at the top

W2Racing09
10-29-2015, 11:08 AM
I guess I am old but, I remember when drivers got in free, and only 3 people were allowed in the pits with a car. Women and children had to go to the grandstands. This was at a Nascar weekly track. Everybody who went in the pits had to wear white pants, so they could be seen by the drivers. They had a womens division, and the women came out of the stands, raced, and then went back to the stands. They had less fighting then. The tracks made it back then thru the front gate, not the back. The drivers are putting on the show, why are they having to pay for the show they are putting on. The promoters have gotten somewhat lazy by thinking, we will just charge 3 times as much to get in the pits as the stands, and not worry about putting on a show to put people in the grandstands. Do actors pay to be a star in a movie? Why are racers treated any different? We get charged 30 to 35 dollars for pit passes at a regular show around here. Then they charge us 10 more for transponders, or 5 if we use our own transponder. They charge a driver 2 pit passes if he runs 2 classes of cars. Then they have entry fees, when they have a big show. The grandstands are empty, the weeds need cut, and the tracks are pretty much unraceable, but that is all we have. I love traveling out of the area to race, but that isn't always an option. When I go other places, to a really racey, nice prepared track, I hear the drivers complaining about how bad it is there. I tell them," you should have to race where I do, you would appreciate this track more" Some of them tell me," If I had to race where you race, I would quit". Sadly, that is what is happening. People are quitting, and the promoters think it is just the economy. But what it amounts to is, racing has always, and will always cost a lot, but when it isn't as much fun as the cost, it is time to quit. If your racetrack is well prepared, not hard on equipment, and racey, the fun to cost ratio is a lot more positive, and racers will find a way to keep racing. If the tracks are one groove, hard on tires, motors and sheetmetal, the racers don't have fun, and the fun to cost ratio becomes negative, they soon quit.

The best promoter in the entire world cannot compete with all of the options for entertainment out there today. You will never see racing be as popular again as it was back then -- it is just the unfortunate truth. In my day to day life working in a big city I don't think I've ever met someone at work or otherwise who even knows where the nearest dirt track is. It is more common in the country but still more often than not people don't know or care to know. You can plaster the town with schedules, and flyers (I often see the ones for my local track all over the place) but if people don't want to pay attention they won't. I can tell you from working on the tracks side of things in the past, that tracks are not making a ton of money and more often than not they are making what little money they do off of the back gate. Letting drivers in free would mean the end of most tracks, and for the remaining tracks they would be taken from very profitable down to breaking even.

Thanks,
Jeff.

Clayton_Wetter
10-29-2015, 04:23 PM
I'd say the dust has ran off more potential fans than the price. A feature race that you can't see will never have much value to a fan.

Tracks and racers need to work together instead of against each other.

My local track has so much dust and grit that I would not be surprised if that alone has not ran of nearly a thousand fans for the local shows. Yet they sellout for Lucas races anyway.

J20in1st
10-29-2015, 07:36 PM
My best ideas: start on time, and start the feature no later than 9:30 or 10:00. The feature doesn't have to be the last race of the night.

Really? Please explain to me how u run the feature ahead of other races in a race show....

flagone
10-29-2015, 08:17 PM
I believe that was a reference to the "headliner" division's feature.

Hoosier
11-01-2015, 12:03 AM
J20in1st asks: "Please explain to me how u run the feature ahead of other races in a race show...."
It's like the opposite of running the feature last. For example:
7:00 Hot laps
7:30 A couple support divs. heat races
8:00 Qualifying for featured class or classes
8:30 A couple support divs. races
9:30 Headliner Feature race
10:00 Support divs. features
11:00 Lights out - see you in church tomorrow.
11:15 Results posted on 4m.net