PDA

View Full Version : Dropped Interior versus Not?

TheJet-09
11-01-2015, 05:42 PM
Looking for opinions or considerations on any advantage/disadvantage if you have the option of running a dropped interior (at the firewall) versus one that is not (flush with the back of the hood, drops to behind the driver then up to the spoiler). Thanks in advance!

zeroracing
11-01-2015, 08:34 PM
I won't get into the aero side, but for me a dropped one is much easier to get out the right side if needed.

hucktyson
11-02-2015, 04:52 AM
We know Bloomquist and Davensnort have been in a wind tunnel ... And they are the 2 fastest cars in the country so it makes sense to look at theirs doesn't it ?

FlatTire
11-02-2015, 08:17 AM
Rocket spends time in the wind tunnel, their decks arent dropped.

Matt49
11-02-2015, 01:19 PM
We know Bloomquist and Davensnort have been in a wind tunnel ... And they are the 2 fastest cars in the country so it makes sense to look at theirs doesn't it ?

One has a dropped deck and the other doesn't.

Punisher88
11-02-2015, 01:42 PM
I know when I bought my bwrc it had the flat deck. The next year it was dropped. Then went back to flat at some point I believe now I'm pretty sure theu are dropped again. The cvr I just got is dropped and I cam feel the air moving my head around alot more coming over the tunnel area that chip builds.

keeks
11-02-2015, 07:16 PM
I'm a big guy. In a panic I want the extra room. Dropped for me.

Krooser
11-03-2015, 01:01 AM
I like the dropped for safety reason although I know none of us will ever get caught pinned against the wall by another car that's on fire making it impossible to get out the drivers 'window'...

I've been on fire and burned twice... it ain't fun.

Matt49
11-03-2015, 07:33 AM
A little off topic but never a bad time to talk about safety.
Most full containment seats make a passenger side exit nearly impossible.
So I've considered cutting an escape hatch in my roof. Just something with a piano hinge in front and a simple clip in the back.

swartzman
11-03-2015, 09:37 PM
Matt49 is spot on with his idea, I'm surprised people do not do this all the time,

AmickRacing
11-04-2015, 01:48 AM
I've considered that idea for normal entrance and exit, sometimes the window can be a *bad word* to get in and out of with the full containment seat. I've got an older rocket, and every time I redo the body I seem to open the window up more and more.

If I'm not mistaken I think Rayburn was doing this way back in the day (roof hatch), could be a fuzzy memory, but I believe he was trying to make it mandatory for safety reasons but it never really caught a following.

Matt49
11-04-2015, 11:53 AM
I've considered that idea for normal entrance and exit, sometimes the window can be a *bad word* to get in and out of with the full containment seat. I've got an older rocket, and every time I redo the body I seem to open the window up more and more.

If I'm not mistaken I think Rayburn was doing this way back in the day (roof hatch), could be a fuzzy memory, but I believe he was trying to make it mandatory for safety reasons but it never really caught a following.

The cars CJ was showing up to Brownstown with this season all had a flip down section in the door that opened up the "window" about 6 more inches to get in and out. Hard to explain but the driver side of the interior and top six or so inches flipped out together so that you basically had the entire clearance from the top of the top door bar to the bottom of the halo.

Lizardracing
11-04-2015, 03:49 PM
When I brought that up in a UMP meeting I got laughed at. I lost all respect for UMP on that day.

Bcollins82
11-04-2015, 08:40 PM
When I brought that up in a UMP meeting I got laughed at. I lost all respect for UMP on that day.

UMP hasn't deserved any respect since Sam Driggers was put in charge. They care about body measurements and Hoosier tire money. Safety isn't even on their radar.

save the racers
11-04-2015, 09:22 PM
Years ago when you dropped the deck right behind the motor.We would drill holes in the straight up piece to let air out.There is a low pressure area right behind the drop.I'm switching my car over to a gradual drop that stops beside the driver then starts back up.