PDA

View Full Version : flat black sheet metal

DEKconsulting
11-03-2015, 09:08 AM
anyone have any pros an cons? lookin to do it next yr but wanted to hear opinions first. Thanks

TheJet-09
11-03-2015, 09:18 AM
I use it for my sides and hood/fenders. Couldn't tell you what brand but I cover it with a wrap anyway so only the inside of those pieces are the actual finish itself/exposed. It doesn't strike me as being the same quality of finish as the normal/gloss colors. I'm not sure how it would hold up to dirt/rocks on the outside. Not as noticeable on the inside.

hucktyson
11-03-2015, 10:49 AM
It's incredibly soft compared to normal. It's almost like a thicker version of soffit and fascia material. I wouldn't use it. If you really want flat black I would get unfinished and then have the panels powder coated after they are made

Hooked Up
11-03-2015, 12:27 PM
Agree with Huck.. Save your money
I have Wrisco flat black on my car and it is terrible.
Unfortunately I used flat black on my entire car plus bought 2 extra sheets and I'm pulling it all off and going with colored.
I do not know if it is the way they heat the colored sheets or what, but they are the same thickness but flat bends like it is half as thick.
I have heard that all flat black is that way no matter mfg..
If you want to pm me your address ill send you a piece to check out for your self..

FlatTire
11-03-2015, 02:08 PM
I did an entire car with flat black except for the deck, never had any issues. It doesnt show water spots/stains like gloss blk does.

Wheelman33
11-03-2015, 08:14 PM
Have an all matte black modified. Didn't notice any difference in the metal while building the body. Got a sh!t ton of compliments on the way it looks too!

TS3g
11-03-2015, 09:17 PM
I'm not sure where the aluminum I used came from (the driver bought it), but I've built a few bodies for a guy using flat black and the stuff seems to scratch just looking at it. Plus it looks horrible once it has been damaged and hammered flat again. But, like I said, it could be a particular manufacturer issue. It does look cool though.

swartzman
11-03-2015, 09:32 PM
All of what we have used was bad to get cracks everywhere.

andy29
11-03-2015, 10:53 PM
It's 6lbs lighter then gloss black 4by10 sheet

talclipse
11-03-2015, 11:37 PM
I used it for decking, drivers box, sides everything. It was terrible. Hems would crack out almost instantly and you could scratch it with your thumb nail. I changed everything out the following season and have never went back.

AmickRacing
11-04-2015, 01:45 AM
I've ran flat black for several years now, I'm not sure the brand of aluminum it is, but it seems to hold up as good as any other aluminum I've ever used (exception being the chromed silver and gold colored stuff, that was semi-hard and cracked bad).

The only drawback I've noticed is the shop dust, or track dust settles on it and really doesn't come off with out washing. Can't just wipe it down really. I've heard some people use those california car dusters or what ever they are called, or a swiffer, but never been that motivated to get dust off my car.

Bcollins82
11-04-2015, 07:08 AM
Ran flat black on several cars and I've never had an issue with scratching easier or softness of the metal vs standard colors. That's also buying from a few different places, including one that buys a lot of blem sheets.