PDA

View Full Version : Todays technology with floating X

TLM4t4
11-07-2015, 05:26 PM
Got a question that may be dumb found! With all the great things going on with today's technology, what would everyone's opinion be on someone building a car with the old school floating X? I know some chassis builders done this in the late 90's and early 2000's. Never ran one personally, just wanting some opinions and figured I could gain some knowledge from guys who have experienced the floating X cars.

MasterSbilt_Racer
11-07-2015, 07:13 PM
Got a question that may be dumb found! With all the great things going on with today's technology, what would everyone's opinion be on someone building a car with the old school floating X? I know some chassis builders done this in the late 90's and early 2000's. Never ran one personally, just wanting some opinions and figured I could gain some knowledge from guys who have experienced the floating X cars.
Not sure what new tech you are specifically referring to, but floating chassis members are still out there on some newer stuff.

zeroracing
11-07-2015, 07:27 PM
I have a newer chassis with a floating x.

billetbirdcage
11-07-2015, 07:36 PM

My personal opinion and the direction I'm going is to stiffen the chassis from what we been running. There is a ton of new stuff, that I think will benefit from having a stiffer chassis or least eliminate the cars being somewhat better having some flex.

That being said: you can argue the floating X somewhat, least I will from what I have seen in the past. Does it really move?

Funny story that will muddy up the waters on the X deal some.

This was in 97 or 98 (I think), I was racing at a Hav-a-Tampa race and before the races I was talking with Skip Arp. Asked him about the floating X deal, said he had one in the trailer that he raced 3 times and wasn't real sure on the deal yet as he just hadn't ran it enough to say for sure. Anyways we got to talking and the car he had in the trailer was a square tube car so they put tabs on it and use rod ends instead of the round tube over the main rails welded to the X (on a round tube car). I asked him if it moves much? Skip: "not sure, lets go look! On a square tube car they paint over the rod ends and all the paint was still there and didn't show any cracks yet like the rod ends moved in the slightest. Skip: Well, I think we have our answer, LOL.

Billet shrugs

swartzman
11-12-2015, 02:17 AM
Look close around the pits there's more floating x's being run than you might would think..