PDA

View Full Version : Moving RR eliminator from in front of axle to behind

RW57
11-15-2015, 07:15 PM
2700# clip car LR eliminator on locked swing arm 325# spring shock behind LR. RR eliminator in front of axle shock behind 175# spring that travels 3in and hits a 275# spring homemade 2 stage deal.We can not get car free enough on entry and through middle 56% rear 48 to 49% cross 52 to 53% left 150# bite 1100# Rf 1000#Lf car has all kind of drive no wheel spin at all engine makes I would guess 350 HP very limited engine I have swapped RR eliminator to behind and Shock in front leaving everything the same what results can we expect with this change were going to a practice session but ended up not going season is done might find somewhere else to practice just wanting to know what this change might do.Car just needs to be a little more free on entry and through middle I know rear% is high but afraid if we take it down car will pick up wheel spin driver is very smooth on throttle does not like a free car which may be biggest problem. Our school man gave me this advice the trick is make car go sideways without the driver feeling it is sideways .

powerslide
11-15-2015, 08:28 PM
100lb split across the front isn't much. go another 100. what clip are you on? are the percents w/ or w/o driver?

RW57
11-16-2015, 03:08 AM
With driver car has a Howe Camaro clip with RF widened out 1 inch it is a limited type late model I always come to Modified Forum because the car is closer to a open wheel chassis than a late model I had thought about going to a softer LF or Possibly stiffer RF as sometimes it Appears as lower RF a arm is digging in track as it will be packed full of mud .RF shock travel is usually 4 to 5 inches. Thanks for the feed back .

Racer96m
11-16-2015, 07:27 AM
A Howe F Body clip, was this an old asphalt car? If so that may explain some things. I would think a 1100lb RF spring should be enough to hold up a 2700lb car, but if you are getting 4-5 in of travel on the RF it could mean that your front moment center is - (Neg) If your upper A Arms are relatively flat, you will have a low moment center and no spring change will help. Just something else to think about.

Dave

RW57
11-16-2015, 01:52 PM
No it was a warrior 4 bar we bought one of the howe camaro clips that use stock lowers but it probably was designed for asphalt.we raised the motor up 2 inches and moved it as far right as it would go. On the a frames I fabricated a taller spindle for right front the a frame depending on ride height has about 20 to 25 degrees of angle before car ever rolls like I said car has great side bite and forward drive but is just too tight on entry it roll middle really good maybe a tick tight if we could just get it to rotate more on entry. Right now RR is trailed 1.5 in no that is not a typo and its still too tight

25drtrkr
11-16-2015, 02:41 PM
That was a popular class in my area years ago. Your setup is quite a bit diff than what we ran. We ran 4bar in the rear, so our rear springs would be quite a bit different.
LF 1100 RF 900
LS 54.5%
R 54%
LR bite 120lbs
I really believe your 56% rear is the main problem. We only ran 54% with a 500hp motor.

powerslide
11-16-2015, 05:09 PM
Try a softer LF spring or stiffer RF if the RF is dragging the ground, the driver should be able to tell you if its bottoming out. Might also try some more left side% . How big of spoiler does it have? Nose piece sealed off well to the ground?

RW57
11-16-2015, 07:18 PM
We have to run 3 link here I think with motor moved up and right the 1100 is to soft early in the year we had the1100# spring on the LF and the 1000# spring on the RF.Like I said we were going to practice but ended up not going I had everything laid out to make a bunch of changes hopefully we can find somewhere to practice before it gets to cold.Thanks again for the feed back .Almost forgot 8in rear spoiler on nose had to raise right side as it was dragging race track in corners I saw this as I now go outside race track to watch right side of car it is amazing to see what rs tires go thru as car goes thru corner I saw and learned a lot by doing this.If you have never done this it is a real eye opener.

Anonymous24
11-20-2015, 04:38 PM
Lower LF spring rate until you get what you are wanting on entry. Don't be afraid of the numbers, just give the car what it wants.

RW57
11-30-2015, 08:05 PM
A follow up on car went to practice with car just like it was except for moving eliminator to behind axle.Car looked great he came in from 1st session said he would kill me if I tried to put it back in front.Part 2 of what I wanted to do was to try a sway bar big mistake car was terrible no side bite or forward drive oh well wanted to try it. He said car was good but could still Be a litte more fee on entry and thru middle that's the same thing I was seeing .jacked it up put 6 rounds of bite in it had 150 pounds to start with I have not put it back on scales to see where its at but I am sure its over 200 pounds .Sent him back out car was even better brought it back in put a straight 76 oil shock on RF removing a 2/8 gas bilstien car was then a rocket on a used 15 dollar afco go figure overall it was a very good day for around 100 $ in fuel and car we learned more in 4 he's than we could have learned in half a season .

MM90
12-02-2015, 12:28 PM
I did the same thing with shocks. Had Bilsteins for years and for craps and giggles threw some old WB Afco shocks on the front and loved the way it felt. You might want think about putting some twin tube shocks on the front, if not all the way around.