PDA

View Full Version : Eastbay ??

roughride
11-16-2015, 01:24 PM
How many cars do you think that they'll get? And how has the racing been recently? It seems like they brought out the inside or narrowed turns a little and it's not been the same as it used to be.

GEAR_HEAD
11-16-2015, 03:05 PM
It's not nearly as good as it used to be. The best format was when they qualified in the early afternoon, reprepped the track, then started heats in the evening. The track would stay tacky all night long. That worked too well so they stopped doing it. Now there is a huge shelf at the top of the track and nobody can run the high side anymore.

bleedblue55
11-16-2015, 05:24 PM
Two years ago racing was great, last year not so much. Hoping for better weather leading up to this years races. Wet, cold weather really affected all speedweek tracks last year. The ever present East Bay dip in turn 1 was more like a launching ramp. Guessing car count will be close to 40, and that is being extremely optimistic. Don't see any WOO drivers coming to E.B. and then making the haul north for their opener at Screven.

Matt49
11-16-2015, 05:49 PM
The common complaint from racers for YEARS at Eastbay was that the place is really hard on tires. Abrasive surface even when wet (as sand will do) but you had to have a soft tire to be competitive because it held moisture. The tire bill to run 4-5 nights there was pretty bad. Last year, they did some things I THINK in an effort of lowering the abrasion of the track but it really backfired and made for everybody having a really tough time finding grip even when there was moisture in the track. Racing wasn't good.
Hopefully this year they find some happy median.

zyoung25
11-16-2015, 06:43 PM
I think tires is the problem there. A driver told me a few years ago he used 60+ tires in his first trip down. He said he had no desire to go back anytime soon.

edavis71
11-17-2015, 03:08 AM
Two years ago racing was great, last year not so much. Hoping for better weather leading up to this years races. Wet, cold weather really affected all speedweek tracks last year. The ever present East Bay dip in turn 1 was more like a launching ramp. Guessing car count will be close to 40, and that is being extremely optimistic. Don't see any WOO drivers coming to E.B. and then making the haul north for their opener at Screven.

Definitely agree with this post. Hope I can make my 15th year in a row in a few months!!!

WisWildManFan
11-17-2015, 11:04 PM
East bay used to have better racing I think then volusia in late 90s early 2000s... Seems like it has swapped recently.

gorj
11-18-2015, 11:56 AM
Definitely agree with this post. Hope I can make my 15th year in a row in a few months!!!

You guys have been a fixture for that week at EastBay in February.

25drtrkr
11-18-2015, 06:17 PM
East bay used to have better racing I think then volusia in late 90s early 2000s... Seems like it has swapped recently.

Not in my opinion. Been going to both for 20 years now, and hands down, East Bay is better! (not the day races)

Besides that Eastbay does one thing far better..........strawberry shortcake!!!

Barbecueboy
11-18-2015, 08:16 PM
I like them both......hell, I like every track from South Georgia down for that matter.

bleedblue55
11-18-2015, 08:42 PM
I like them both......hell, I like every track from South Georgia down for that matter.

Amen to that, if I'm watching a race down there it means I'm on vacation.

roughride
11-19-2015, 11:25 AM
Not in my opinion. Been going to both for 20 years now, and hands down, East Bay is better! (not the day races)

Besides that Eastbay does one thing far better..........strawberry shortcake!!!

Love the shortcake! Used be that guy smoking ribs, pork, and turkey legs! Is he still around?
Also, seems like I was always freezing at Volusia and would be at Eastbay in a t-shirt! Also, need Speedo the clown back and that extreme stunt guy!!

GA-DIRT
11-19-2015, 02:31 PM
Met Speedo too,great guy an a Masion too!

edavis71
11-19-2015, 11:42 PM
Love the shortcake! Used be that guy smoking ribs, pork, and turkey legs! Is he still around?
Also, seems like I was always freezing at Volusia and would be at Eastbay in a t-shirt! Also, need Speedo the clown back and that extreme stunt guy!!

Those were the good ole days at the clay by the bay!!!

CGF
12-09-2015, 11:22 PM
Bring back the old format !!! Help those high ass admission prices!!!! Screven and Bubba gets my gash this year

roughride
12-10-2015, 06:08 AM
Yea they need to do something. The prices are high! You used to see the best of the best down there. Now many are staying away. You can go see any of the crown jewel races for less than these 5-10 thousand dollar races. I wouldn't mind see them incorporating mods into the program or something. Maybe introduce an incentive like they are in Tucson at the Wild West Shootout! With the car counts being what they have been recently at Eastbay I think they should try and do something different to try and create some more drama and excitement.

25drtrkr
12-10-2015, 06:10 PM
It's not nearly as good as it used to be. The best format was when they qualified in the early afternoon, reprepped the track, then started heats in the evening. The track would stay tacky all night long. That worked too well so they stopped doing it. Now there is a huge shelf at the top of the track and nobody can run the high side anymore.

Agree, also to the original post. I've been going there for 20 years and the track is definitely narrower than it used to be. Heck, I remember EPJ coming from 23 to 2 in 75 laps. That was one of the last great races I saw there.

Still though, being there, eating strawberry shortcake, means Im on vacation as well! I have never seen a bad night race there. Their day races....suck!