PDA

View Full Version : A Champion Is Crowned

CIRF
11-21-2015, 08:52 AM
Robert Ballou is the 2015 USAC National Sprint Car Champion. A highly deserving champion at that. I've had the honor and pleasure of hanging out a bit and even having a beer or two with Robert and he's a polite, well mannered man. He'll be a great champion for USAC'S most popular division.

Congratulations Robert, you did it pretty much all on your own and spanked 'em good all year long!!
http://www.4m.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=55486&d=1448117140

Just The Tip
11-22-2015, 12:14 AM
I had the pleasure to meet the mad man and Sasha in Bloomington. It was his daughters birthday and he had a pizza party in his pit area and invited everyone over for a slice. Super nice and down to earth family. I've been a fan ever since. This was a magical year for him. I really enjoyed as the year went on how the all white car kept adding more sponsorship along the way. I guess it's no longer the empty pockets tour for ballou.

CIRF
11-22-2015, 09:32 AM
It was great to see the sponsorship take hold all during the season. No one, and I mean no one, is more deserving of the championship as is Robert.

I remember well the very first time I held a conversation with RB, his wife was there and you could tell she knew they needed to be doing something besides talking with a bleacher racer like myself. I had to end the conversation and thus I don't know how long he'd have talked with me.

Bar none, Robert and his wife are the most gracious racers we've been around since the days of Jack & Jody Hewitt. In regards to their interaction and accommodating manner with the fans a close comparison can be made of Robert and Jack.

I say someone should but The Madman in an Indy Car for the 100th running of the 500 this coming May! I can't imagine the outpouring of fan support for Robert and Bryan Clauson. I know it's a long shot but we can daydream can't we? LOL!

buster83
11-22-2015, 10:34 AM
u a 100% correct cirf a great guy and congrats to him for winning amsoil sprint cup championship.

Just The Tip
11-22-2015, 04:44 PM
Great story cirf, like I said, he definitely added a new fan that night. And if someone would take a shot on ballou for Indy, I would put up $500 to help. I probably wouldn't be alone.

By the way, I've always enjoyed your posts about sprint car racing. I was raised in the ump modified/late model world, but sprints (non wing ,410 of course) have stolen my heart. I remember watching them for the first time in North vernon, indiana. I was hooked instantly. I have followed the indiana sprint week twice, but with work and family it's hard to get to travel too far. Currently hit as many shows at haubstadt as possible. If you're ever over that way let me know. I'd love to pick your brain and hear some of your stories. Beverages on me.

CIRF
11-23-2015, 08:28 AM
Thank you much for the kind words, JTT.

I too would join you in sending a stipend of cash to The Madman in support of an Indy 500 effort.

I first watched sprint cars/super modifieds (wingless of course) when I was a very small child at Fairbury American Legion Speedway. I was like you, they stole my heart, as well. I kinda' got away from them when I got into high school and college. Drag racing was something that I could afford to do at that time. I could use the same car to get me from point A to point B as I raced. After college I worked with a prominent local dirt late model team for several years. Then I got married and that ended all participation other than being a bleacher racer.

I went to a USAC Silver Crown race during the Illinois State Fair at The Springfield Mile and Jack Hewitt won it and I fell in love with wingless racing all over again. I closely followed Jack's career and actually we have become somewhat more than just acquaintances over the years. Jack's the guy who really got me interested in open wheel dirt racing of all kinds and love all of it to this day. Dirt lates are my first love and I'll follow them from here on out but unlike many dirt late model fans I appreciate the midgets, wingless sprints and Silver Crown.

Every year we get over to Terre Haute for the Hulman Classic USAC sprint car race the Wednesday before the Indy 500 on our way to Indianapolis and again for the Silver Crown race and Indiana Sprint week. I sometimes go to Putnamville and Kokomo for ISW but that depends on how busy I am with work. Next season we'll have to make an appoint to hook up at Terre Haute if you go there.