PDA

View Full Version : App Mtn Speedweek schedule

bleedblue55
11-21-2015, 11:43 AM
Appalachian Mountain Speedweek Presented by CenturyLink

1 hr ·

We've been working real hard for our fans and drivers but it seems the tracks down south don't like what we do and move their dates to schedule against us on the weekend we have used since 2009. It just hurts everyone.

2016 Appalachian Mtn Speedweek
June 3rd - Bedford Speedway
June 4th - Port Royal Speedway
June 5th - Path Valley Speedway
June 6th - Path Valley (Rain Date)
June 9th - Hesston Speedway
June 10th - TBA
June 11th - Hagerstown Speedway
June 12th - Selinsgrove Speedway

Thanks to everyone for all your support.

Josh Bayko
11-21-2015, 02:10 PM
I wonder what he's talking about with "the tracks down south".

bleedblue55
11-21-2015, 02:20 PM
Winchester, Va. comes to mind. Potomac might be correct too. Pi$$ing contest

Josh Bayko
11-21-2015, 02:43 PM
Winchester, Va. comes to mind. Potomac might be correct too. Pi$$ing contest

You're probably right, but neither has released a schedule yet.

CrankedUp90
11-21-2015, 04:52 PM
You're probably right, but neither has released a schedule yet.

Just seen where the Ultimate series and VMS are doing a 4 race mini series the first weekend of June. $4,000 to win at Georgetown, $5,000 to win races at Winchester and Potomac, and $15,000 to win at VMS. Plus a points fund for the top 15 drivers in points for the 4 races if the driver attends all 4..

bleedblue55
11-21-2015, 05:36 PM
Just seen where the Ultimate series and VMS are doing a 4 race mini series the first weekend of June. $4,000 to win at Georgetown, $5,000 to win races at Winchester and Potomac, and $15,000 to win at VMS. Plus a points fund for the top 15 drivers in points for the 4 races if the driver attends all 4..
Thanks, that helps clear matters up.

smoot
11-21-2015, 06:17 PM
That sucks. I think it will affect AMS more so than ultimate, lot of quality regional racers in mid-atlantic

dirtMAN007
11-21-2015, 06:48 PM
Well so much for that "commitment" pro dirt car spoke of just a few short weeks ago ! Seems a good series promoter could get it done ! Hate to say it but 007 was right again !!!!!!

ironboss
11-22-2015, 10:07 AM
Great to see the schedules start to come together. However, I can't understand why the AMS Speedweek and the Ultimate series have to be scheduled on top of one another. It is ridiculous. Already have the whole Hagerstown vs. Winchester thing and now this. No wonder the racing in the area is struggling. How about working together to improve things? There are plenty of other weekends during the race season...starting with maybe the third week of June? I sure hope something can be worked out as this is a bad deal for the fans and racers and it shouldn't be as both mini-series have the potential to be great for everybody.

06Tireman
11-22-2015, 10:49 AM
So.. Nearly all the tracks involved in Speedweek are in PA except for Hagerstown which is in Maryland of course.. I highly doubt will have anyway impact on VMS's scheduling overtop of AMS..Since AMS has used the 1st weekend in June since AMS started.. The tracks involved in AMS do work together.. Port Royal isn't racing late models the following Saturday night after their race.. Don't see Bedford racing supers on the following Friday night after their AMS race.. So tell me.. What tracks aren't working together ???

ready2rd
11-22-2015, 11:06 AM
also think lucas is at Florence same weekend as some of those races in june

dirtMAN007
11-22-2015, 11:13 AM
So.. Nearly all the tracks involved in Speedweek are out of PA except for Hagerstown which I highly doubt will have anyway impact on VMS's scheduling overtop of AMS..Since AMS has used the 1st weekend in June since AMS started.. The tracks involved in AMS do work together.. Port Royal isn't racing late models the following Saturday night after their race.. Don't see Bedford racing supers on the following Friday night after their AMS race.. So tell me.. What tracks aren't working together ???

So Hagerstown is in pa ?

dirtMAN007
11-22-2015, 11:17 AM
So are you saying the ultimate series had this series of races already scheduled for a different week or weekend and then moved it on purpose to conflict with yours?

cameron/mann racing
11-22-2015, 12:04 PM
This actually does effect quite a few drivers/teams. Jason Covert, Mark and Kenny Pettyjohn just to mention a few. So instead of these teams having a chance to compete in 2 different series in there area, they are once again forced to choose. Speedweeks was born to give the mid-Atlantic racers and fans a miniseries that had solid schedule and payouts. The Maryland and Delaware drivers travel to the Pa and Virginia tracks weekly so I just wish promoters would keep this in mind when scheduling over top of each other.

prodirtcar32
11-22-2015, 02:24 PM
dirtman so good to hear from you.

Just to clear things up, I said we have got a great group of promoters that have agreed to work together. Joe Padula, Steve O'Neal, John Winsett, Steve Inch, Ernie Davis, Kevin Johnson etc. have been great all agreeing not to run late models on each others night so we can have a competitive fun Speedweek for fans and drivers. This group of guys and their staffs just try to make this deal work and I can't thank them enough. As a Speedweek we can not control what others do. We can just stay consistent and not bounce all over the calendar. We have started Speedweek the Friday after Memorial Day since it started in 2009. We just try to do the best we can understanding that we have failed you personally.

I believe it was you that asked if they moved their date (If it was not you that asked, I apologize). You can look it up but I can tell you the 2015 USA 100 at VMS was May 16th. I know that because I supported it and was in attendance.

Hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

dirtMAN007
11-22-2015, 08:02 PM
dirtman so good to hear from you.

Just to clear things up, I said we have got a great group of promoters that have agreed to work together. Joe Padula, Steve O'Neal, John Winsett, Steve Inch, Ernie Davis, Kevin Johnson etc. have been great all agreeing not to run late models on each others night so we can have a competitive fun Speedweek for fans and drivers. This group of guys and their staffs just try to make this deal work and I can't thank them enough. As a Speedweek we can not control what others do. We can just stay consistent and not bounce all over the calendar. We have started Speedweek the Friday after Memorial Day since it started in 2009. We just try to do the best we can understanding that we have failed you personally.

I believe it was you that asked if they moved their date (If it was not you that asked, I apologize). You can look it up but I can tell you the 2015 USA 100 at VMS was May 16th. I know that because I supported it and was in attendance.

Hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

You have not failed me personally ! I was only trying to point out that when I asked if speed week would actually happen in 2016 that getting certain tracks to not schedule at the same time would be tough ! You tried to act as if I was crazy for suggesting such a thing ! Well it turns out I was correct and not crazy! Is VMS calling that final race of the series "the USA 100 " or will that race be run @ a different time ?

W2Racing09
11-23-2015, 06:43 AM
You have not failed me personally ! I was only trying to point out that when I asked if speed week would actually happen in 2016 that getting certain tracks to not schedule at the same time would be tough ! You tried to act as if I was crazy for suggesting such a thing ! Well it turns out I was correct and not crazy! Is VMS calling that final race of the series "the USA 100 " or will that race be run @ a different time ?

Yes. The USA 100 is a part of the series, although Winchester on Sunday night is the last race of the series.

Thanks,
Jeff.

j1s
11-23-2015, 07:51 AM
There is a lot talk about tracks and series working together, but there is question that needs to be asked.

Did AMS ask any of the Colonial Cup tracks to participate in in AMS? If the answer is no then I can see why the Colonial Cup was created. If the answer is yes, well there might be more to the story.

In my mind it makes more since for Potomac to work with VMS than any of the PA tracks, but Potomac is a part of the Gunter empire. So Potomac is locked into Winchester's game, which is a lot closer to PA.

I think both of these series will have a good turn outs. AMS, because the PA folks love it. Colonial Cup, because the Southern (Ultimate) guys will follow it, the point fund is decent, and its only 4 days versus the 2 week end deal.

One thing is for sure, Gunter is not afraid to take a risk I just hope all parties succeed.

cameron/mann racing
11-23-2015, 09:27 AM
Everybody loses a little here. There are probably 10 quality teams that will have to choose which series to run. Thats a extra heat race and B mains for the fans as well as more revenue for the tracks. Regional drivers need these higher paying races to survive. AMS has kept there dates pretty much the same through the years so that should have been considered.I can only figure the Ultimate series felt there was a big enough area gap. I appreciate all the tracks taking these financial risks but with a little more planning both series could have been a bigger success.....

ironboss
11-23-2015, 11:09 AM
As a fan, I want to see all of the best racers going up against each other. This type of scheduling and controversy just lowers my overall interest level and excitement for going to the races. And I have no doubt that it will keep other vacationing fans and national level drivers from coming in and following either series. Hard to believe there is only one week out of the entire racing season that promoters find to be suitable for running a high profile event in our area. Guess that's why I still miss the glory days of going to Hagerstown on a Sunday night and seeing all of the best cars and drivers battle to find out "who has the hot shoe tonight?"

fenders27
11-23-2015, 06:43 PM
Thank you to all the fans, drivers, tracks and promotional personel that make the AMLMSW ahow posible. I have made my vacation around your series since 2009 and enjoy every minute of it, (event all the rain outs in 2015). The first week/weekends in may have been speedweeks from day one. The rest of our local tracks know it and I see most of the tracks working hard to make it work in 2016. Yes there are a few that have went against it and time will tell how it works for them, but we true speedweek fans may be enough to show them it is a great series and it should be OUR speedweeks. Was really hoping Susky would be one of the tracks but thanks to Bedford, Path Valley, Hesston, Port Royal, Hagerstown, and Selinsgrove for stepping up in 2016. Good luck to all, and we will be there to support all the shows.

LATE MODEL PA FAN
11-25-2015, 11:48 AM
Most of theses teams making the event decision would have fell off the AMS tour the weekend of June 9th anyway for The Dream. Covert has already mentioned per dirt on dirt he will be running Eldora Crown Jewels. Not sure about PettyJohn, but he does do Volusia and he was at The World Finals this year. Zeigler, Hubbard, Satterlee, McCreadie, Heckanast Jr., etc. all guys that have run a few AMS tour events will be in Eldora just because it is a prestige event. I am gonna go to what speedweek races I can to support it because I love it. But will hit Eldora to root our PA guys on.

06Tireman
11-25-2015, 05:54 PM
I think the Ultimate Series race will help AMS.. There are guys who may struggle and not make the features who stay away knowing their chances of making the feature are low with the guys like Hubbard, Satterlee, Tmac and so on being there.. They simply just sit at home and sit this deal out.. Really cant blame them.. So the Ultimate Series races the same first weekend of AMS it may bring those guys out to race.. We shall see I guess

SaddleUpLock&Load
11-29-2015, 07:14 AM
Pi$$ on Winchester, Potomac, and the Ultimate Series for being so self absorbed that they couldnt bump back two weeks, to schedule what to me looks like a great little four day deal for teams as well, and also Ultimates furthest trip North. Why would Ultimate arrange to even schedule something like this at this time, unless it was trying to piss someone off. There has to more to this story. I would have assumed that the Ultimate Series looks at all proposed schedules and dates and sees what will work for them and what other races are being run, and said you know what maybe we shouldn't head north and get in the way of the Appalachian speed week. And shame on Virginia Motor Speedway for getting involved as well in the pi$$ing match. They shouldn't ever be in the business of scheduling over other events, especially with where their support has to come from. So FU to everyone involved in this. Instead of rolling out a week or two later for the Colonial Clash we are stuck in a debate, a debate that is lost by the Ultimate Series strictly on what tracks they've aligned themselves with. When you're the only show going its a no brainer. But in the history of racing, unless you're just closer, no ones first choice is ever Potomac, Winchester, or Delaware. They're holes, and the Saluda trip is just a long trip where it normally rains .

W2Racing09
11-29-2015, 07:23 AM
Pi$$ on Winchester, Potomac, and the Ultimate Series for being so self absorbed that they couldnt bump back two weeks, to schedule what to me looks like a great little four day deal for teams as well, and also Ultimates furthest trip North. Why would Ultimate arrange to even schedule something like this at this time, unless it was trying to piss someone off. There has to more to this story. I would have assumed that the Ultimate Series looks at all proposed schedules and dates and sees what will work for them and what other races are being run, and said you know what maybe we shouldn't head north and get in the way of the Appalachian speed week. And shame on Virginia Motor Speedway for getting involved as well in the pi$$ing match. They shouldn't ever be in the business of scheduling over other events, especially with where their support has to come from. So FU to everyone involved in this. Instead of rolling out a week or two later for the Colonial Clash we are stuck in a debate, a debate that is lost by the Ultimate Series strictly on what tracks they've aligned themselves with. When you're the only show going its a no brainer. But in the history of racing, unless you're just closer, no ones first choice is ever Potomac, Winchester, or Delaware. They're holes, and the Saluda trip is just a long trip where it normally rains .

I don't disagree with much of your post, but I do have to say Potomac is probably consistently the best racing in the area. If I lived somewhere that I could get there in an hour and a half on a Friday night instead of three hours I would be there just about every week.

Thanks,
Jeff.

BTExpress
11-29-2015, 10:57 AM
Pi$$ on Winchester, Potomac, and the Ultimate Series for being so self absorbed that they couldnt bump back two weeks, to schedule what to me looks like a great little four day deal for teams as well, and also Ultimates furthest trip North. Why would Ultimate arrange to even schedule something like this at this time, unless it was trying to piss someone off. There has to more to this story. I would have assumed that the Ultimate Series looks at all proposed schedules and dates and sees what will work for them and what other races are being run, and said you know what maybe we shouldn't head north and get in the way of the Appalachian speed week. And shame on Virginia Motor Speedway for getting involved as well in the pi$$ing match. They shouldn't ever be in the business of scheduling over other events, especially with where their support has to come from. So FU to everyone involved in this. Instead of rolling out a week or two later for the Colonial Clash we are stuck in a debate, a debate that is lost by the Ultimate Series strictly on what tracks they've aligned themselves with. When you're the only show going its a no brainer. But in the history of racing, unless you're just closer, no ones first choice is ever Potomac, Winchester, or Delaware. They're holes, and the Saluda trip is just a long trip where it normally rains .Saddle....... Well said, and the promoters in all forms of dirt track racing wonder why the sport is dying a slow death.

johnE
11-29-2015, 01:21 PM
Fans and drivers are lucky to have both of these miniseries going on. More races equals more purses paid and fans have more options to choose from, maybe save some gas and time. Count your blessings...

chupp n bloomer fan
11-29-2015, 08:37 PM
Fans and drivers are lucky to have both of these miniseries going on. More races equals more purses paid and fans have more options to choose from, maybe save some gas and time. Count your blessings...There isn't enough drivers to go around.

johnE
11-30-2015, 01:03 AM
It Will be interesting to see how this works out. Lots more money to be won by drivers in that area and some extra southern drivers chasing the cash up there, I can't see how that is bad unless carcounts are much less than 24 starters per event.

Russell W
12-01-2015, 10:02 AM
The speedweek deal should really just change their name to the PA late model speed week. They only have Hagerstown on their schedule outside of PA. Friday you have 4 hours distance between Potomac and Bedford who will be fighting for cars, on Saturday night you have 5 hours distance between Virginia and Port. I think you will see maybe a 3-4 car difference in total numbers for the speedweek for those 3 dates that they clash. Covert and lathroum will probably not race speed weeks because of these races and you might see someone like satterlee and stone race the 4 race ultimate deal. But after that I'm sure you'll see them go to finish the speedweeks unless they go to the dream instead. There will be no shortage of cars that weekend. Both series will have full fields plus some to spare

W2Racing09
12-01-2015, 10:14 AM
The speedweek deal should really just change their name to the PA late model speed week. They only have Hagerstown on their schedule outside of PA. Friday you have 4 hours distance between Potomac and Bedford who will be fighting for cars, on Saturday night you have 5 hours distance between Virginia and Port. I think you will see maybe a 3-4 car difference in total numbers for the speedweek for those 3 dates that they clash. Covert and lathroum will probably not race speed weeks because of these races and you might see someone like satterlee and stone race the 4 race ultimate deal. But after that I'm sure you'll see them go to finish the speedweeks unless they go to the dream instead. There will be no shortage of cars that weekend. Both series will have full fields plus some to spare

Agreed, the Port, Selinsgrove, Bedford, Hagerstown and Cumberland cars will support AMS while the Winchester, Potomac and regional cars (Satterlee, Stone, Zeigler, etc.) will support the Ultimate series. I think the AMS has wanted to keep the series for the locals (without drivers like Richards, Satterlee, Eckert, etc. coming in and stealing wins) and this will help not hurt them if that is the goal.

Thanks,
Jeff.

dirtMAN007
12-01-2015, 02:44 PM
agreed, the port, selinsgrove, bedford, hagerstown and cumberland cars will support ams while the winchester, potomac and regional cars (satterlee, stone, zeigler, etc.) will support the ultimate series. I think the ams has wanted to keep the series for the locals (without drivers like richards, satterlee, eckert, etc. Coming in and stealing wins) and this will help not hurt them if that is the goal.

Thanks,
jeff.

if that is in fact their goal they have failed miserably since it's beginning !!!!!!!!!!

SaddleUpLock&Load
12-01-2015, 07:15 PM
Agreed, the Port, Selinsgrove, Bedford, Hagerstown and Cumberland cars will support AMS while the Winchester, Potomac and regional cars (Satterlee, Stone, Zeigler, etc.) will support the Ultimate series. I think the AMS has wanted to keep the series for the locals (without drivers like Richards, Satterlee, Eckert, etc. coming in and stealing wins) and this will help not hurt them if that is the goal.

Thanks,
Jeff.

Anyone trying to spin this into a positive is lying to themselves. Why should guys like Hubbard,Covert,Pettyjohn,Satterlee, or Stone be forced to make a decision that shouldn't have to be made if Ultimate wouldn't have stepped all over this date. I can't for the life of me figure what the advantage is for Ultimate to even do this. They just got caught in the middle of Greg Gunter d1ck measuring contest with Appalcachion speed week folk. Everyone on here acts like this area is littered with cars and everyone will be ok, where facts are the vast majority of northeastern cars who would support the Ultimate deal are the same ones who year after year support the Appalcachion. There are plenty of dead weekends throughout the summer to do this and gain optimum support for the colonial speed week. But of course Greg Gunter finds himself at the wheel of another endeavor that does nothing but pit track vs track now series vs series and in the end screws the teams that want to participate in all events in the area. He's the only promoter happy to pay 2,000 to win a 10 car late model race as long as he knows he boned another track out if those 10 cars.

Twist'EM Up
12-01-2015, 09:54 PM
if that is in fact their goal they have failed miserably since it's beginning !!!!!!!!!!

all they need is a few more rain dates and tba and it could b called amsm " appalachian mountain speed month" once again your so right dirtman!! Why is it so hard ?? Both series will lose good quality cars and fans i wish i had that kinda cake 2 throw away

bleedblue55
12-01-2015, 10:40 PM
Imagine the irony when I saw this today
The Hagerstown/Winchester Shoot-Out is Back

The return of one of the biggest, if not the biggest Super Late Model shoot-out in the tri-state, the Hagerstown/Winchester Shoot-Out.

It has been years since these two tracks have had the Hagerstown/Winchester Shoot-out but it’s here. Our promoter Ernie Davis and Winchester’s promoter, Greg Gunter have set this four race event. The dates are scheduled for Friday July 8 at Hagerstown Speedway, and Saturday July 9 at Winchester Speedway. Then reverse with Winchester Speedway on Friday Aug 19 and Hagerstown Speedway on Saturday August 20. These events will be time trials, heat races, B-mains if needed with a 30 lap feature paying $2500 to win with $300 to start.

For more information about the Hagerstown Speedway, visit us online at

PennDirt
12-05-2015, 06:38 AM
Never thought I'd see the day the AMS would fall victim of a coup d'etat but I'm not really surprised, either.

BTExpress
12-05-2015, 07:38 AM
It is imperative that Hagerstown and Winchester/Potomac work together for the good of the sport in the Mid-Atlantic region. Maybe the Shoot Out is the first in what is hopefully more cooperation between these two promoters.? On another note, does anyone have information on Cumberland reopening again this season....... will it happen or are we still waiting for "new guard rail" to be delivered?

doomsday
12-10-2015, 04:26 PM
I am guessing that the reason Winchester is no longer invited to the AMS is because Gunter tried to make them take Potomac too. No one wants that. But, Winchester was part of that deal too and is no longer wanted, hmmm. That said, folks blame Gunter when this past year Davis scheduled against Gunter every week. Even the limited lates were scheduled against. So you should blame Davis on this one. I honestly cannot blame Gunter and he does have some regulars that will stay and attend his track. He will also get his normal 200 fans that show. Maybe AMS should invite Winchester back for the first Saturday race and this wouldn't happen. When they ran Sundays they would have the highest car count but what didn't make sense there was most of the cars came from the north and many guys had to work on Monday. So, even though Winchester had the highest car count, was that really fair to all involved? Sorry to ramble, but blaming Winchester for everything wrong with the arrogant promoters is really getting old. They all think they know everything, just ask them!!!