PDA

View Full Version : Brake rotors and brackets

lilsumo
12-02-2015, 08:56 AM
I bought a new rotor for my pinto spindle, didn't really pay attention as the salesman said it was the one I needed, but it is roughly a inch smaller in diameter and the pads are only halfway on the rotor, the dust cover that goes over the bearings is also different size. Are there different brackets for the pinto spindles for different rotors?

powerslide
12-02-2015, 09:17 AM
You probably got the metric hybrid rotor and have the old style Granada brake bracket

lilsumo
12-02-2015, 09:34 AM
After some research, the granada is 11 inch and the hybrid is 10 inch. I need to buy the hybrid bracket for that one side

JustAddDirt
12-02-2015, 10:41 AM
I would buy 2 brake brackets and another rotor.
unless u want to try putting the smaller rotor on the RF and get car to turn in better

Lizardracing
12-03-2015, 08:54 AM
The bigger circle has more ft/sec and more mechanical leverage.

JustAddDirt
12-04-2015, 07:54 AM
exactly Lizardracing.
it is kind of like putting a smaller piston caliper on the rf.

Lizardracing
12-04-2015, 09:13 AM
exactly Lizardracing.
it is kind of like putting a smaller piston caliper on the rf.

Not exactly. The smaller bore of the smaller caliper lends a hydraulic disadvantage by applying less pressure on the rotor. The result is likely very similar in driver feel.

SCD,
no one was arguing the effectiveness. Simply that biasing the brackets and rotors positions may not be a good way to get the OP's desired result.

powerslide
12-04-2015, 10:43 AM
The one he got was better than what he had, its about 4-5lbs lighter IIRC, been a few years since I had a Granada. He should go buy another unless he wants to try to get some more LF brake in it. In a class where RF shut offs and different size pistons aren't legal some would look at it as an advantage, where others just want to be rid of every last pound they can.

zeroracing
12-04-2015, 04:44 PM
When we race on very dry slick tracks I notice on corner entry a decent amount of LF lockup going in. It is easy to over brake and skate the front tires if your an aggressive driver. I also agree with SDC that the difference between an 11" and a 10" rotor probably is not much for driver feel. A larger difference could be made by pad choice. Seconding what SDC stated. Again though I bet a lot of drivers would be surprised they lock up more often than they realize.

Long story short, save the weight and get another hybrid/brackets for the other side.