PDA

View Full Version : Don Blankenship trial ends in split decision

Returning to Dirt
12-03-2015, 12:16 PM
http://insidedirtracing.com/don-blankenship-trial-ends-with-split-decision/

Blankenship, a former Dirt Late Model team owner for his son John, was found guilty on one of the three counts against him following a mine explosion in 2010.

willardboy
12-03-2015, 12:51 PM
With the guilty charge only being a misdemeanor with a maximum penalty of 1 year in jail, i'm thinking he will only receive probation.

TackyTracker
12-03-2015, 02:18 PM
seems like that's what his atty thinks...

Snowmanracr21
12-03-2015, 07:27 PM
he got off very easy

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-04-2015, 01:31 AM
First CEO to ever be found guilty of workplace crime.

bleedblue55
12-04-2015, 05:48 AM
Maybe Daddy will buy Son another race team to celebrate.

lokwaidid
12-04-2015, 07:15 AM
but now the families can sue for damages. they should get millions .

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-04-2015, 09:38 AM
but now the families can sue for damages. they should get millions .

From a bankrupt coal company or the former CEO who has it all hidden in blind trusts? They will be awarded millions and get next to nothing.

waaac77
12-04-2015, 11:00 AM
So the only question I have is, will John Blamkenship be back in 2016?

TS FAN
12-04-2015, 02:59 PM
From a bankrupt coal company or the former CEO who has it all hidden in blind trusts? They will be awarded millions and get next to nothing.

I would think you are spot on. IMO Lawyers have been way out in front of this future situation.

oldfart50
12-04-2015, 03:34 PM
So the only question I have is, will John Blamkenship be back in 2016? I would hope not on his dads dime. His days in a court room has just started with all the civil trials he is about to be tied up in. Remember OJ? He was found not guilty in the criminal trial, but guilty in the civil trial. A lot of people died, I doubt it's over.

t3r3e3
12-05-2015, 04:28 PM
I would think you are spot on. IMO Lawyers have been way out in front of this future situation.

Massey was purchased by Alpha post disaster. I would guess that Alpha would be on the hook for civil penalties. Either way, I'm not sad to see Don Blankenship get at least some of what he deserved. The guy is a scumbag. John seems like a decent guy though.

Nasty55
12-05-2015, 04:57 PM
Massey was purchased by Alpha post disaster. I would guess that Alpha would be on the hook for civil penalties. Either way, I'm not sad to see Don Blankenship get at least some of what he deserved. The guy is a scumbag. John seems like a decent guy though.

John is a decent guy unlike his old man..... but as the old saying goes..... you can pick your friends but you cant pick your family...

bleedblue55
12-05-2015, 06:01 PM
Alpha Natural Resources which bought Massey has settled the wrongful the death suit against them a couple years ago. Explosion occurred in April 2010. Each of the deceased miners families got $3 million each.

hucktyson
12-05-2015, 06:18 PM
The CEO of a corporation is not personally financially responsible for the actions of the company ... That's the entire purpose of being incorporated . They can sue him all they want and they will get what they deserve from
Him .... Dik

tsand
12-06-2015, 07:49 AM
Remember the night club fire that killed over a hundred people in RI about 15 years ago. I read where over 176 million dollars have been paid out in lawsuits and litigation is still going on. Hell I think if you drove by the place why it was on fire you got sued. Lol. lawyers will go after everybody that had a slightest connection with the mine and insurance companies will pay out just to avoid a trial.

hucktyson
12-06-2015, 09:34 AM
They used flammable foam to insulate the building and they had a non approved pyrotechnic display in a building crowded well beyond fire code. You have a reasonable expectation to not burn to death when entering a night club , you know going in that under ground coal mining is one of the most dangerous jobs on earth... Complete apples to oranges comparison

jog49
12-06-2015, 10:32 AM
You dimwits keep in mind that John Blankenship is NOT Don Blankenship. Some of you want John burned at the stake for what his father did or did not do. Perhaps in Salem in the 1600s.........but not now!

tsand
12-06-2015, 10:55 AM
All I'm saying if there's money to be found lawyers will find it. Hell budwiser was even sued and settled out of court because they sold Budweiser at the bar. And coal mining has became a lot safer if regulations are followed properly which was the case at the mine. There will be lawsuits and there will be payouts.

bleedblue55
12-06-2015, 12:15 PM
You dimwits keep in mind that John Blankenship is NOT Don Blankenship. Some of you want John burned at the stake for what his father did or did not do. Perhaps in Salem in the 1600s.........but not now!
Read all the posts again you moron, only one mentioned John and stated what a decent guy he was.

25drtrkr
12-06-2015, 12:40 PM
All I'm saying if there's money to be found lawyers will find it. Hell budwiser was even sued and settled out of court because they sold Budweiser at the bar. And coal mining has became a lot safer if regulations are followed properly which was the case at the mine. There will be lawsuits and there will be payouts.

True story, how far attorneys will go to collect money for their client:

In the early 80's, me and group of my friends went to the beach. Of course , we were drinking and chasing girls. After a few hours, we leave and go in different directions after driving to convenient small town. After being home for several hours, I get a call from one of the friends, and tells me one of our friends ran into a car and killed one of the passengers and paralyzed another. Of course he was arrested and eventually went to prison. The attorney for the family sued each of our ins companies and collected 10k from each. None of us were within 25 miles of the accident when it happened. They even sued my passengers parents ins and collected. He was only 15 and didn't even have a drivers license.

Attorneys will stop at nothing to make a few bucks. Of course, companies will settle small claims to avoid going to court!

cutman
12-06-2015, 01:17 PM

Read the posts again.........dimwit

Cast-Iron-Junkie
12-08-2015, 09:01 AM
Wow!

Are you serious?

Wow again!

I cant even put a complete sentence together right now.

Give me a couple days.....

Prayers to all involved in the Upper Big Branch Mine Explosion, on April 5th 2010

jog49
12-08-2015, 12:04 PM
I mentioned "dimwit" and bleedblue55 and cutman raised their hands. I would mention the word implication to both of you but you are, after all, DIMWITS.

Clayton_Wetter
12-08-2015, 04:08 PM
Does anyone on here actually know all of the facts about the tragedy itself?

SLIDING SIDEWAYS
12-08-2015, 09:21 PM
does anyone on here actually know all of the facts about the tragedy itself?

all im hearing c dubya is crickets!

bleedblue55
12-09-2015, 06:41 AM
Google it, I'm sure you'll find a timeline of events. Then you can form your own opinion based on what evidence that is generally agreed upon by those effected. Unfortunately 29 eyewitnesses to the tragedy were unavailable to present their version.

Clayton_Wetter
12-09-2015, 03:51 PM
One thing is for sure. The president, The EPA, and Bureau of Land management has declared war on the COAL industry. You can add the Department of Justice to that list also.

Cardirt0
12-09-2015, 04:45 PM
One thing is for sure. The president, The EPA, and Bureau of Land management has declared war on the COAL industry. You can add the Department of Justice to that list also.

And over the next 3 years you power bill will go up 100 to 200% cause of it....

Cardirt0
12-09-2015, 04:54 PM

750 Billion bucks have been Loaded by our Gov for Clean Power.. 75 % of the people that got them Loans have defaulted on them Loans.. you can thank your President for that...I have some Black friends that say ant it great the first Black President is going to be know as the Worst President ever...