PDA

View Full Version : RIP Scott Weiland

waaac77
12-04-2015, 09:15 AM
I know this is a racing board but someone once started a thread that asked others to list some of the songs they listen to on the way to the track to get amped up for the show. I always make sure to listen to "Wicked Garden" by Stone Temple Pilots as the beginning of the song just gives me chills when turned up to 11. The guy sure lived life in the fast lane and kicked out some great tunes over the years.

GEAR_HEAD
12-04-2015, 11:37 AM
He was one of my all-time favorite singers. His STP, Velvet Revolver, and solo stuff was all great. RIP

MILLER7FAN
12-04-2015, 03:26 PM
Yes we lost a very great musician in Scott Weiland. He had his struggles and troubles but still put out very good music for 20+ years, RIP

latemodel86
12-04-2015, 11:22 PM
Grunge music was some of the best but took some of the hardest tolls out on musicians. Layne Staley, Mike Starr, Cobain just to name a few. I'm assuming addiction was the cause of his passing from what I've concluded, but not sure. RIP Weiland

PennDirt
12-05-2015, 06:05 AM
Guilty of tossing STP into the grunge blender and never gave them their proper listen over time. Grunge just wasn't my thing, I guess. I found Sour Girl an inescapable video, tho. So magnetic, confusing and pleasantly guilty.

Now Velvet Revolver was my kinda music. They had me at the first "HEY!" on Slither. Instantly loved this new hard rock band.

http://i.imgur.com/45ES9xk.jpg

So to say I knew Scott Weiland, it's fair to say I really didn't. You can't catalog a career by glossing over a few pages.

I'm glad ageless Rolling Stone writer David Fricke made this video. I think I get it.

https://youtu.be/h7cTCZyhfIU

Crossbones
12-06-2015, 08:16 AM
Grunge music was some of the best but took some of the hardest tolls out on musicians. Layne Staley, Mike Starr, Cobain just to name a few. I'm assuming addiction was the cause of his passing from what I've concluded, but not sure. RIP Weiland

The grunge scene with its very depressing lyrics and sound was abusive and had a detrimental effect on young men's minds at that time and help shift this Country's whole culture and opened the door to what we have been suffering under to this day. Theres a reason why that scene only lasted for 3/4 years, theres something wrong with a scene when so many involved in it is drug heads, depressed and dying at such a high rate.

When it comes to rock music I prefered Motley Crue, Aerosmith, ACDC, Def Leppard (early 80s) etc. etc. (although drugs where a problem with that to but atleast the music was exciting). But I did like STP though, but I never considered them really "grunge".

SuperEight
12-06-2015, 09:41 PM
... But I did like STP though, but I never considered them really "grunge".
I think actually they fall more into the, "Post Grunge Slick" genre with, "Nickelback" and the like of the early 2000's. R.I.P. Scott

Barbecueboy
12-07-2015, 12:01 PM
Stp put out some really good music.......sad to hear of his passing ,but (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word), who didn't see that one coming???

acetone
12-07-2015, 03:24 PM
I think actually they fall more into the, "Post Grunge Slick" genre with, "Nickelback" and the like of the early 2000's. R.I.P. Scott

you cant possibly think nickelback is in the same league with stp.

Crossbones
12-08-2015, 02:59 PM
you cant possibly think nickelback is in the same league with stp.

lol I was thinking the same. They are nothing a like.

GEAR_HEAD
12-08-2015, 03:10 PM
lol I was thinking the same. They are nothing a like.

That was a huge insult to STP. The DeLeo brothers are 2 of the all time great musicians in rock music and Weiland one of the all time great singers. Nickelback just plain sucks.

WisWildManFan
12-08-2015, 03:15 PM
Just saw a good documentary on Cobain on Netflix, was called "soaked in bleach".