PDA

View Full Version : Trying to remove bearing bird cages

Bud99
12-09-2015, 06:51 PM
It seems like the bird cages are frozen to the axle tube. I hate to beat the hell out of them to get them to slide off. Can someone please give me some help on this. The axle tubes are aluminum and so are the bird cages. Thanks folks.

Punisher88
12-09-2015, 09:12 PM
Just had to take a set off a customers car. Needed a bigger hammer than I had room to swing. Inner bearing actually wound up staying on the tube and had to cut it off with a die grinder. Was not fun. Of course the maintenance and upkeep on this car was spectacularly poor.

Bud99
12-10-2015, 06:14 AM
Thanks for the reply. I didn't know if I was doing something wrong, or if there's a trick to this. Maybe I'll try a port-a-power on it. Again thanks for the help.

Punisher88
12-10-2015, 06:53 AM
No problem. I did get some sand paper and go over the outer tube so when I did get it to move it slid a bit easier on that section. Also I found hitting it closest to the center works best. Just be careful of hitting your axle tube.

hammond motorsports
12-10-2015, 08:35 AM
Bud 99 I would not use a port a power because you can bent the tube easy that way . If you do not wish to hit it off then I would remove the sidebell and find a big press and press the tube out by holding the birdcage in press pushing on the end of the tube

Bud99
12-10-2015, 09:18 AM
Thanks folks. I'm using Kroil to help penetrate. Yes I never thought, but the port-a-power could bend the tube. Thanks again guy's.

rsadiedog
12-10-2015, 09:35 PM
Make a puller by using a thick piece of steel with 2 holes the distance apart of top and bottom holes on thru bolts on cage, then use 2 long pieces of all thread to run from plate to cage while holding plate against end of tube. Put nuts on each and and run outer nuts in with a impact. I know it's not a very good description but I think you'll get the drift. I've made one and it's come in handy numerous times

grt74
12-10-2015, 10:32 PM
we use anti seize on anything where steel and aluminum meet,but we have access to buckets of it from work,and its the copper kind

AmickRacing
12-10-2015, 11:44 PM
First suggestion was to use Kroil, but you've got that done already. Let it soak in a while too, every few hours when you walk by it, give it a stern but loving look, and another squirt of Kroil.
I'd also suggest some heat too, don't go crazy, just make it warm enough you can still hold it, sometimes a bit of heat (and cooling it back down) will help release it.
Don't be afraid to hit it the other way a bit too, if you can get it to break free either direction, it'll likely move the other direction easy too. Make sure there's no burr's on the tube before you get very far, doesn't take much for it to hang up.
Next time lube it up better! lol

Bud99
12-11-2015, 04:34 AM
I got them to break loose finally. All of these suggestions were very helpful, and thank you to all of you.

grt74
12-11-2015, 08:40 AM
I got them to break loose finally. All of these suggestions were very helpful, and thank you to all of you.

light amount of anti seize when you put them back together will help a ton later on,just make sure to wipe of the tubes with brake clean before you clamp the birdcages where you want them

Punisher88
12-11-2015, 10:10 AM
The home made puller ideas is an amazing idea. Wish I'd have thought of it!

mcdaddy25
12-16-2015, 06:57 PM
A bearing separator, like you use to remove a pinion bearing, works perfect for this. you just need two threaded rods and a flat bar @ 8 inch long and 1in x 2in.