PDA

View Full Version : Drop Spindles ?

RacerX10
12-17-2015, 09:32 AM
Anybody running drop spindles on their car to get more clearance up front ? Curious what it does to the the car, handling wise.

Thanks !

jms22
12-17-2015, 12:11 PM
Not trying to be rude but this was already answered in an earlier post where you asked the same thing. Its a spindle that was made to keep the x-member out of the dirt, once the frame is in the dirt it's a dump truck.

RacerX10
12-17-2015, 12:25 PM
Not trying to be rude but this was already answered in an earlier post where you asked the same thing. Its a spindle that was made to keep the x-member out of the dirt, once the frame is in the dirt it's a dump truck.

Also not to be rude, but this new thread is asking a completely different question.

I'm now asking how they effect handling on the car, which was not answered in the other thread.

Raising the entire front of the car by 1/2" is a completely different thing then raising the crossmember to keep it from dragging. I want to know how that 1/2" change in the front end affects handling, particularly if anybody has made that change and has a before / after comment.

jms22
12-17-2015, 12:35 PM
If your frame has been in the dirt then you know how that feels. Without your frame in the dirt you're able to drive through without the skiing effect (push)that comes with a frame rail on the track.

RacerX10
12-17-2015, 02:18 PM
You're still not getting it my friend.

Raising the entire front end of the car up by 1/2" is going to have some effect on handling, I would think. I'm not talking about dragging the frame in the dirt any more.

billetbirdcage
12-17-2015, 02:23 PM
It's basically like putting taller front tires on it that raises the car a 1/2" across the front, you geometry has stayed the same but the car is 1/2" higher so you did raise you rollcenter to the ground a 1/2" but it's still basically the same geo it had before just the car is up 1/2" so you raised you COG slightly also.

Guys I know that ran them don't really notice a difference in handling beside not bottoming out as easy.

jms22
12-17-2015, 02:31 PM
My point. Thanks billet.

RacerX10
12-17-2015, 02:49 PM
Guys I know that ran them don't really notice a difference in handling beside not bottoming out as easy.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks !

Krooser
12-17-2015, 08:31 PM
Technically 'dropped spindles' would have a higher pin setting lowering the front end... at least that'd how every other segment of the automotive world describes it.

Next I want to see one of these engines with steel heads or blocks. All of mine have been cast iron since day one...

ALF401
12-17-2015, 09:28 PM
I have heard guys say that using the 92's on the front tightened the car up, even when the stagger stayed the same between the two tires.

RacerX10
12-18-2015, 08:08 AM
I have heard guys say that using the 92's on the front tightened the car up, even when the stagger stayed the same between the two tires.

I'm trying to figure out why that would be, but I've been out of the car for a few years and can't figure it out.

7uptruckracer
12-18-2015, 10:44 AM
Because the RC is higher higher front roll center is a tighter car could be the sidewall construction as well. Even thought you raise the COG with it so the moment arm is the same you don't get the same jacking force its probably minimal but noticeable

I'm trying to figure out why that would be, but I've been out of the car for a few years and can't figure it out.

RacerX10
12-18-2015, 12:21 PM
Makes sense :)

25drtrkr
12-18-2015, 12:57 PM
Because the RC is higher higher front roll center is a tighter car could be the sidewall construction as well. Even thought you raise the COG with it so the moment arm is the same you don't get the same jacking force its probably minimal but noticeable

I agree, it is some of both. There are some national teams that are experimenting with more/less sidewall on RR also.

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-18-2015, 01:17 PM
The tighter car from taller front tires is almost all sidewall effect.

RacerX10
12-18-2015, 06:46 PM
The tighter car from taller front tires is almost all sidewall effect.

So are you saying that a taller car from "drop" spindles won't be tighter ? (noticeably, anyway)