PDA

View Full Version : 4 link Brackets

25drtrkr
12-19-2015, 11:11 AM
I wonder why a chassis builder hasn't incorporated the climbing mechanism on 4 link brackets?

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-19-2015, 11:40 AM
I wonder why a chassis builder hasn't incorporated the climbing mechanism on 4 link brackets?

You have to do it in a way that worn parts could be replaced. There is an aftermarket deal that I think is patented. Not sure how well the guy could really enforce it...

25drtrkr
12-19-2015, 01:39 PM
You talking about the bracket itself or the external parts?

billetbirdcage
12-19-2015, 02:03 PM

I've made them, but haven't actually used them yet (Still sitting on self, waiting on car to be built). You are sort of limited on travels cause of strength issues with the long slots and they get a little heavy if you try to make them travel a long ways due to the extra material needed to strengthen it like it needs to be. Plus it limits you somewhat on multiple bar lengths on the same bracket, down to 2" increments instead of 1" like holes would.

Mine work just trialing off a car with no load, but not really fully tested and some unforeseen issues could come up.

25drtrkr
12-19-2015, 02:41 PM
Are you gonna make them bolt-on or welded on? That would give another option, if need be. It looks like more and more chassis builders are starting to go to bolt-ons.

Do you copy the gear pattern from the jbar stuff, or did you create your own?

billetbirdcage
12-19-2015, 04:40 PM
Are you gonna make them bolt-on or welded on? That would give another option, if need be. It looks like more and more chassis builders are starting to go to bolt-ons.

Do you copy the gear pattern from the jbar stuff, or did you create your own?

Bolt in because of the limited range I feel is safe for testing, thus if down the road we feel the need to run different angles then what is allowed in them now it's easy to just buzz out some new ones.

It's probably similar to the normal climbers, but I just did my own size and teeth count wise so I can have reference marks to set degree's on the gear's OD to line up with the brackets so you know exactly where your are. I also have locks in place if needed in case they try to move like the LRU on a rougher track.

It's easy for anyone to do, I just think it's probably more work, cost and weight for how little some guys even move the bars anymore. I'd say that is the reason it's not common

hipower17
12-20-2015, 06:54 AM
there was a guy in ky that built a few cars like that.

Team EERC
12-23-2015, 11:10 PM
Not a LM guy but I did some for a mod and they have the same down side to slotted brackets, they are very weak. bumping wheels would let the plate flex to much and throw things off even a big cushion would put enough load in them to cause problems. Not saying they will not work just to delicate for my liking. most people don't understand how much load they see under good conditions let alone rough tracks or the inevitable bumps and rubs. just my opinion