PDA

View Full Version : Lower control arms.

Duckhnter83
12-23-2015, 10:21 PM
I bought a chassis recently and learned the lower control arm mount bolt holes were notched out and moved so that the lower ball joint is moved forward. Is there an advantage to this? To me it has the lower control arm in a bind and it doesn't move really well.

let-r-eat
12-23-2015, 10:32 PM
People do all kinds of things. Most are hurting themselves more than helping. Further forward the front contact patch is the more rear weight % you can get with a lighter overall car.

You need to look at the track of the lower balljoint through jounce and extension and see how much caster gain/loss you are getting. I predict it's all over the place. You can likely move your UCA mounts to match or get what you want.

Lizardracing
12-24-2015, 11:49 AM
I used to drill out the LCA frame hole to 1" and weld a washer over it where I wanted the hole to actually be. This was on an impala stub where the frame is narrower than the Chevelle stub so widening the front track width helped some.

Racer96m
12-24-2015, 07:57 PM
Binding is the big issue. Sounds to me like they hurt it more than helped. I would get all the holes back in line to get the bind out of it. Slide a 1/2in rod into the mount holes from the front and slide washers on the rod. tack the washers onto the chassis, pull the rod out and finish welding the washers.

Dave

25drtrkr
12-24-2015, 09:09 PM
Theres quite a bit of difference between USS and SAE washers. SAE are usually only 1/32" larger inner diameter.