PDA

View Full Version : tire cellophane

brett4
01-02-2016, 04:46 PM
i know guys are putting it on there tires for car shows,but if the guy is not soaking his tires why are so many putting cellophane around there tires that are in there trailers or car for the race weekend???

Racer96m
01-02-2016, 07:42 PM
I do it every week. The main reason I do it is I'm the only guy that works on the car, so I'm getting tires ready all week for the weekend. When I'm done sipeing, grooving and grinding, I wrap it and put it in the rack, I usually have many other things to do at the track and we all know how time consuming tires can be. At the track, unwrap the one you want and its fresh, like you just did it.

Dave

stockcar5
01-02-2016, 07:45 PM
Monkey see monkey do. No real reason for it. Your tires will be full of dirt and who knows what else by the time you hit the track anyway.

Kwoods25
01-02-2016, 09:15 PM
It keeps the like new. And if you actually take the time to clean them properly it keeps them clean while rolling around the shop as well. When I unload at the track I keep it on until I roll out to practice. If you take one tire and wrap and it. And another tire unwrapped. See if its no difference when you punch them in about a week

Anonymous24
01-03-2016, 01:21 AM
it helps preserve the oils that are in the rubber. the oils evaporate over time, especially if you grind the tires. always keep your tires clean, stored out of direct sunlight and out of excessive heat. i do not advise prepping your tires through the week unless you have to. perform all prep work at the racetrack. prepping of tires removes the hardened layer of rubber that seals the oils into the rubber. it is the rubber oils that keep the tire working. once the oils are removed, the tire is no longer any good for use. treating your tires allows for these oils to evaporate even faster.

stockcar5
01-03-2016, 09:37 AM
Ive tried the wrapping tires thing. I found no change. I race 3-4 times per week though so that may be why i don't see a difference.
I can see a benefit if you race once a month with the same tires..

mod11h
01-03-2016, 06:29 PM
its like when a women has a button up shirt on. If she buttons it all the way up no one notices but if she leaves some unbutton and shows some skin people will look. Same with wraping tires make people think your up to something.

stockcar5
01-03-2016, 06:44 PM
I swear it was only simple green!! LOL