PDA

View Full Version : 2 inch offset rearend

mod11h
01-04-2016, 08:13 PM
I see a trend lately of cars with 2 inch offset rear ends. I know pierce cars has used them for years but what is the benefit of using one.

junebug
01-06-2016, 07:18 AM
It moves jbar liftbar/ pullbar all 2" left which should all tighten the car...it does also move the mass of the rear to the left adding some more left side weight

JustAddDirt
01-07-2016, 12:41 PM
original poster did not state if it was a 2" left or a 2" right offset.
that information would be helpful to know to determine what the change would accomplish.

junebug
01-07-2016, 04:28 PM
Yep didn't say which direction...I just assumed he was meaning left...I think that's more the trend lately...but not sure what pierce is doing they maybe right

Renegade Cust Susp
01-07-2016, 11:38 PM
Pierce cars are set up 2" offset, Leftside tube is the short one. I do know they are not the only cars built/set up this way.
I'm pretty sure the old Ellis stuff especially spring leaf stuff was the opposite. And they were 3".

junebug
01-08-2016, 11:38 AM
I assumed that's what he meant be cuz that's the trend of what I've been seeing on alot of cars

mod11h
01-09-2016, 04:14 PM
Not sure on which side the offset is going. Im just trying to understand the reason they are going this way. i think its trying to tighten the car up through the corner.

xxxmod
01-13-2016, 05:39 PM
I believe the shorter left side axle promotes better forward drive
than a centered rearend. Having the left side axle twist less than the
right under acceleration is the reason.Remember,the LR is getting driven into
the ground harder than the right on the gas.Having a centered rear is not the
end of the world for most cars and using some of the high quality axles available
makes a noticeable difference in a centered rearend.

TeamGRT12x
01-13-2016, 06:14 PM
I believe the shorter left side axle promotes better forward drive
than a centered rearend. Having the left side axle twist less than the
right under acceleration is the reason.Remember,the LR is getting driven into
the ground harder than the right on the gas.Having a centered rear is not the
end of the world for most cars and using some of the high quality axles available
makes a noticeable difference in a centered rearend.

A 60" centered rear end uses different length axles

xxxmod
01-13-2016, 06:40 PM
A 60" centered rear end uses different length axles

? not a quick change

Kromulous
01-13-2016, 09:50 PM
LOL i never would of thought of axle twist, can you really tell a difference?

Krom.

xxxmod
01-13-2016, 11:15 PM
The stopwatch tells the difference.

powerslide
01-14-2016, 11:19 AM
It changes how close/far away the pullbar/liftarm is to the RR tire and where the j-bar mounts in the same relation. I would think that would have more bearing than axle twist.

stpmotorsports
01-19-2016, 11:36 AM
An offset rearend does not necessarily move the pullbar laterally in the car, in order to make that change you would have to move the chassis mounts in order to keep the pullbar alignment correct. We put a 2" offset 9" in a GRT car last year, and certainly noticed an improvement in the way the car drove. Another advantage is that an offset 9" uses equal length axles.