PDA

View Full Version : tie down straps left front

spiderma4
01-12-2016, 09:26 PM
what is best to use on left front and how much do u let it hang?

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-13-2016, 10:44 AM
what is best to use on left front and how much do u let it hang?

Aircraft cable, chain, nylon tethers intended for off road truck droop stops all are fine.

To answer the next question first requires knowing why you want to do it.

RacerX10
01-13-2016, 08:08 PM

To keep the LF down on the ground, of course !

https://media.giphy.com/media/Ne7aenG4oM1Py/giphy.gif

spiderma4
01-14-2016, 12:19 AM
Aircraft cable, chain, nylon tethers intended for off road truck droop stops all are fine.

iam going to try to run alittle softer spring with abump to get front down and want to cable that so it can stay on the ground and keep some load on spring and keep air on the front

TheJet-09
01-14-2016, 03:10 AM
Not being sarcastic as it is probably my misunderstanding, but I am at a loss as to how limiting the rebound travel on the LF is going to keep it on the ground. Is there some force (Gravity?) that only acts upon the LF tire and not the rest of the suspension/chassis/engine? I am thinking it will only lift the LF higher (that being the distance between the track surface and the tire) and sooner (as the suspension will be stopped prior to full droop). Again, maybe that's just me...

Kromulous
01-14-2016, 08:25 AM
Unspring weight of the tire / wheel, brakes / rotor and A-arms etc will help keep the corner on the ground. Not sure how much unsprung weight there is maybe 50 Lbs?

I was thinking of using a strap with ends on them with bolt holes, and attach them underneath the upper a-arm. Just have to figure out the length, attach it on one end, and run it down under the lower a arm and back up to the other end and attach it. Sort of a sling effect.

7uptruckracer
01-14-2016, 08:38 AM
Not being sarcastic as it is probably my misunderstanding, but I am at a loss as to how limiting the rebound travel on the LF is going to keep it on the ground. Is there some force (Gravity?) that only acts upon the LF tire and not the rest of the suspension/chassis/engine? I am thinking it will only lift the LF higher (that being the distance between the track surface and the tire) and sooner (as the suspension will be stopped prior to full droop). Again, maybe that's just me...

If you want some insight and some interesting reading. Google Zero Droop Setups. Its used a lot in Road Racing and I've used it on aspahlt. Won the other month with a Zero Droop Setup At Langley Speedway 4/10 Mile Flat Flat Oval. I would man an Adjustable Device. Some cars do it with shock mounts, some tether. The Unsprung will try to drive it back into the ground. cars use to roll so much and top out and lift the tire. Just google it if you don't use it its still more info and ideas so nothing is lost!

Matt49
01-14-2016, 10:30 AM
Think about what happens to the roll center when the LR tire leaves the racing surface. If you change when the LF has the POTENTIAL to leave the racing surface, you're changing something now aren't you?

MasterSbilt_Racer
01-14-2016, 11:01 AM
The cars' CG is left of center. If you allow the car to roll more, prior to picking up the LF, it can do it more easily because the CG has raised.

You could use the tether to try and force the car into a certain attitude. You can actually use the lf tether as a tuning device. A lot of ways to skin a cat.

save the racers
01-14-2016, 07:16 PM
i googled it, very interesting.If you were trying something like this, wouldn't it become more important to not have the l/r locked up on the bars?Maybe build some kind of devise for the l/r.

7uptruckracer
01-15-2016, 08:28 AM
i googled it, very interesting.If you were trying something like this, wouldn't it become more important to not have the l/r locked up on the bars?Maybe build some kind of devise for the l/r.
Nope. We use it on the RR and LF on asphalt. They started checking the 2' Droop rule for the LMSC at Nascar Tracks. You could run a soft RR like 150 put a tether on tight at ride height and preload it say 8 turns for example and when you go in the corner until it overcomes the preload it will act like a stiffer spring once it hits preload it will be like a soft 150 for exit. On underslung they use a block or bushing heck maybe even something like Rockets eccentric bushing. Don't know if it has an application on dirt but hey you never know.....

gatorade
01-15-2016, 08:52 AM
bump steer anyone? is it more about controlling your bump steer range (if you are trying to bump it out in comp you need to limit it in rebound or it will lead to toe in) and less about tire loading?

7uptruckracer
01-15-2016, 09:39 AM
bump steer anyone? is it more about controlling your bump steer range (if you are trying to bump it out in comp you need to limit it in rebound or it will lead to toe in) and less about tire loading?
Nope because we always set the LF to 0 which isn't to hard to get its mostly about loading. The LF runs much longer uppers and a decent length lower so keeping bump inline isn't to difficult